Double Switch??

NovaScotiaBlue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2820 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

First, let's deal with where the pitcher can bat:

"If a game pitcher is switched from the mound to a defensive position, this move shall terminate the designated hitter's role for the remainder of the game.  The pitcher just removed from the mound may bat in the designated hitter spot in the batter order; or, if more than one defensive change is made the pitcher may bat in place of any one of the substituted players (manager shall designate to the umpire.)"  2016 MiLBUM (pg. 32).  (By the way, those are the book's bolded text, not mine).

Now, let's ignore whether or not what the manager did in the OP constitutes a double-switch.  Let's assume it was.  The question is: is he allowed to make a double-switch after he goes to the mound?

"There is no requirement that the manager or coach announce to the umpire a double-switch before crossing the foul line.  However, the manager or coach must do so before signaling for the new pitcher.

"It is not permissible for the manager to go to the mound, call for a new pitcher, and then inform the umpire of multiple substitutions with the intention of interchanging the batting order.  The plate umpire must be informed of the multiple substitutions before the manager calls for a new pitcher (if the manager wishes to interchange the batting order).

"Play 1: A manager goes to the mound and talks with the pitcher.  The plate umpire goes out to break up the conference, and while on the mound the manager informs the umpire that he wishes to make a double-switch.

"Ruling 1:  Legal, provided the manager has not signaled to the bullpen prior to informing the umpire of the multiple substitutions."  2016 MiLBUM (pg. 34).

12 minutes ago, lawump said:

First, let's deal with where the pitcher can bat:

"If a game pitcher is switched from the mound to a defensive position, this move shall terminate the designated hitter's role for the remainder of the game.  The pitcher just removed from the mound may bat in the designated hitter spot in the batter order; or, if more than one defensive change is made the pitcher may bat in place of any one of the substituted players (manager shall designate to the umpire.)"  2016 MiLBUM (pg. 32).  (By the way, those are the book's bolded text, not mine).

Now, let's ignore whether or not what the manager did in the OP constitutes a double-switch.  Let's assume it was.  The question is: is he allowed to make a double-switch after he goes to the mound?

"There is no requirement that the manager or coach announce to the umpire a double-switch before crossing the foul line.  However, the manager or coach must do so before signaling for the new pitcher.

"It is not permissible for the manager to go to the mound, call for a new pitcher, and then inform the umpire of multiple substitutions with the intention of interchanging the batting order.  The plate umpire must be informed of the multiple substitutions before the manager calls for a new pitcher (if the manager wishes to interchange the batting order).

"Play 1: A manager goes to the mound and talks with the pitcher.  The plate umpire goes out to break up the conference, and while on the mound the manager informs the umpire that he wishes to make a double-switch.

"Ruling 1:  Legal, provided the manager has not signaled to the bullpen prior to informing the umpire of the multiple substitutions."  2016 MiLBUM (pg. 34).

So my paraphrase was incorrect and "defensive change" should be substituted for "multiple subs"? Am I correct in assuming the coach has a choice where they will bat when a reliever will take the mound and the game pitcher will replace a defensive player. If I am not correct can the coach circumvent the J-R interp and use the sequence of substitutions that would have the game pitcher bat for the DH and the reliever bat for the substituted for defensive player. 

27 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Am I correct in assuming the coach has a choice where they will bat when a reliever will take the mound and the game pitcher will replace a defensive player. 

Yes.  

50 minutes ago, lawump said:

Yes.  

Thank you for posting the actual language of MLBUM for OBR and confirming my impression of how to interpret the OBR rule. NCAA and FED are different. Have you ever seen a MiLB game where the umps would have to know how to apply the rule plus interp and did because I would be lucky to get it right in real time even though I have an idea of what would be the correct interp. @NovaScotiaBlue do you think the defensive manager actually knew the rule and interp? 

15 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Have you ever seen a MiLB game where the umps would have to know how to apply the rule plus interp and did because I would be lucky to get it right in real time even though I have an idea of what would be the correct interp.

I can't recall ever seeing a pro game where a pitcher moved from the mound to a defensive position.  I'm sure it has happened; I just don't recall seeing it.

4 minutes ago, lawump said:

I can't recall ever seeing a pro game where a pitcher moved from the mound to a defensive position.  I'm sure it has happened; I just don't recall seeing it.

A Cubs reliever went from F1 to F7 to F1 on Sunday night baseball two weeks ago.

• Like 1

A Cubs reliever went from F1 to F7 to F1 on Sunday night baseball two weeks ago.

The same night 6 different players played LF for the cubs and only 2 of them were actual OFs. Ok fine, one was a utility that could be counted as an OF.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, udbrky said:

Maddon's done this 2x this season iirc. The one time, he flipped Spencer Patton and Travis Wood for 2+ innings. It helps that Wood is a very good hitting Pitcher and runs well.

And not a bad F7 either.....

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/51231442/v995065583/seachc-wood-makes-a-tremendous-catch-at-the-wall/?query=Travis%2BWood

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Richvee said:

as a baseball fan with no dog in this fight, it was one of the more entertaining games I've watched all year

I'm glad the whole nation got to see what Mariner baseball is all about. Nothing the M's did in that game surprised the fan base. We've seen it for years.