On "off" games, how do you adjust?

pl8ump1012

Don't think about what HAS happened, your inconsistencies, etc. Flush all that negativity. Grab a drink on the next change over. Do something to get out of your current rhythm and reset yourself. Then just concentrate on "winning" the next pitch and calling it correctly. Watch it from release and all the way through to the catcher's mitt. What brand of mitt does F2 have? If you don't know that, you might not be tracking it all the way. Use proper timing and sharp mechanics...everytime.

~Dawg 

• Like 1

First, I check my physical condition. Dehydrated? Sore, in pain, discomfort? I address that first.

Then, I check for mental distractions and try to focus. If something required my urgent attention, I wouldn't be umpiring. So I try to set whatever it is aside, knowing that it will wait.

Finally, and in every case, I slow down. Take a deep breath, go back to basics (read the pitch out of F1's hand, track it to the mitt, judge it mentally, then call it).

There's no such thing as a "bad day behind the plate." There's only, "I can do better." 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, maven said:

First, I check my physical condition. Dehydrated? Sore, in pain, discomfort? I address that first.

Apologies for quoting my own post, which is tacky.

But I was watching a game last weekend and an amateur umpire asked the crowd for aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. Somebody offered Excedrin™, which he accepted.

I recommend not using that product (or Anacin, or related products), as they contain caffeine. As you might know, caffeine is a diuretic, and thus dehydrating. Anything that dehydrates us diminishes our visual acuity first, as the eyes are 98% water (TBP, the vitreous body is 98% water, and it constitutes most of the eye by mass and volume).

It was a late inning, and I didn't know the guy, so I said nothing. Just sharing the thought here, to help us improve performance.

• Like 3

All great points above. I'd add that you can develop a routine that level sets you ("mind framing" as it's often called). Every watch a basketball game and see the free throw shooter hand slap a ghost after the first try? That's a routine to keep themselves even keeled (not too high, not too low).

Before a first pitch each half inning, after sweeping the plate and putting my mask on I pause about 10 feet off the plate behind the batters box, defocus my eyes and take a deep breath. I smile to remind myself I love this.

Pregame, I'm working to have quiet time as I prep my bag or get dressed if partner isn't there yet. That sets me before the game even starts and then I can do my pause/breath to get back to that state.

Experiment. Find what works for you.

• Like 2

I tell myself to slow down the timing a bit, giving me more time to see the pitch/receive and process. I also try to get down and set earlier. Many times I’m getting down a touch late later in the game, especially from the windup. Get down a fraction earlier so I’m set for the entire pitch. Just focusing on those couple things can usually bring me out of it. 

When I have a game where I think I am struggling, I start each pitch with the basics.

• Step into the slot with one foot lined up with the point of the plate and the other foot heel/toe to get a good angle over F2s shoulder.
  • Breathe slowly; in through the nose out through the mouth.
  • Eyes on F1
  • As the pitcher starts his windup move into my set position.
  • Pick up the ball in F1's hand, hold my breath, and track the ball all the way to F2's glove
  • make a decision and call

One of the ways we will know when we are tracking properly is that when the bat hits the ball our eyes will continue to track the ball as it goes away from the plate. If you lose the ball when it is hit you are probably not tracking it all the way to the bat or glove.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, maven said:

There's no such thing as a "bad day behind the plate." There's only, "I can do better." 

This is profound, and true.  For the most part, others don't know you're struggling.  it's typically you that identifies that your calls are quick, or you may not be seeing a certain pitch you think you should get.

I asked Nic Lentz (he's an instructor at our February camp each year) ...  what's the ONE thing you do when you feel that you're struggling?

He said without hesitation, "release point" .... find that, focus there, then track it.  It slows things down.

Just wanted to share that from an MLB guy ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2