Hit by Pitch Rulings

Guest Tank69
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 664 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Tank69

Under MLB rules, is a batter required to make the attempt to get away from a pitch that may hit him?  If the batter turns his body into the pitch, is he considered to have made the attempt to avoid it?

38 minutes ago, 834k3r said:

Situation from last night:

Legion A (16U) game

Ball is middle, but inside (easy ball call).

Batter ducks his head in a clear attempt (in my judgement) to get hit by the ball. The ball missed him, but my personal post-game review made me think of what would have been the call had he been hit?

Ball? HBP?

Ball hits the runner - automatic "Time"

In this case where the batter moves into the path of the ball in at attempt to get hit, you call it a ball or strike depending on the pitch. And if you're not sure, err towards "strike"

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 834k3r said:

Legion A (16U) game

Batter ducks his head in a clear attempt (in my judgement) to get hit by the ball. The ball missed him, but my personal post-game review made me think of what would have been the call had he been hit?

Ball? HBP?

Well, if that's your judgment it would have been a ball and "stay right there"...as described, I'd question your judgment...players who are trying to get hit, typically, don't try to get hit in the head...typically.  But, HTBT.    In most scenarios, I'd conclude he was ducking to "frame" the pitch as high, or some instinctive flinch, rather than to try to get hit on the noggin.

But, if you judge he tried to get hit, and did, then your judgement stands.

19 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Well, if that's your judgment it would have been a ball and "stay right there"...as described, I'd question your judgment...players who are trying to get hit, typically, don't try to get hit in the head...typically.  But, HTBT.    In most scenarios, I'd conclude he was ducking to "frame" the pitch as high, or some instinctive flinch, rather than to try to get hit on the noggin.

But, if you judge he tried to get hit, and did, then your judgement stands.

I'll try to not take offense, but you're right:  HTBT. The batter was from the same team as another batter that, when I called a foul ball (clearly heard the *ting* of the bat), told me it hit his helmet.

3 hours ago, 834k3r said:

Legion A (16U) game

Ball? HBP?

Ball hits the batter, it’s always dead ball,  what the call is depends on code.  In HS, call same as pitch (time, stay here, that’s a ball) or it’s a strike if they got hit in strike zone.

in college, an intentional HBP (batter goes into pitch) is dead ball strike, regardless of where pitch is