I blew one this weekend in a state tourney

mark38090

Cal Ripken 10u small state tournament bottom of fifth inning home team down by 6 runs. VT is struggling with pitching and has walked in 2 runs and bases loaded. Pitching change walked in another run, pitching change then he gives up a bases clearing double home team now down 2 runs with 1 out. VT makes another pitching change and put in a previous pitcher that wasn't the starting pitcher. HT head coach protest them re-entering a pitcher that wasn't the starter and I wasn't sure of the rule so I called my partner over to confer. He wasn't sure either so we tried to call the UIC but he was just starting a game on another field and didn't have his phone with him. This is where we screwed the pooch, we called the tournament director and she assured us it was illegal and therefore it was a forfeit by the home team. We explained it to both coaches and they both accepted the ruling and the game ended. We immediately amt back to the locker room and the UIC was in there so we soldier it to him and he pointed out the error of our ways, at the same time the HT coach had apparently found it too. So to fix it we resumed the game this morning from that point and had them finish the game. 

At the end of the day we got it right but I can't help but think had it continued that night when the home team was struggling it may have been a different outcome. At least I learned something from it. 

ONE ... a UIC should not be doing games.  Their position as UIC is EXACTLY FOR THIS.

TWO ... Why would you ever forfeit a game for something that hasn't happened yet?  (Or maybe I am assuming the HT coach came out before you allowed the pitcher into the game.)

THREE ... well, I'm glad it was all fixed, especially since it was the Tournament Director's error.

FOUR ... you are right that the overnight delay probably turned the tide.

7 hours ago, mark38090 said:

Cal Ripken 10u small state tournament bottom of fifth inning home team down by 6 runs. VT is struggling with pitching and has walked in 2 runs and bases loaded. Pitching change walked in another run (2 + 1 = 3) , pitching change then he gives up a bases clearing double ( 3+ 3 = 6) home team now down 2 runs with 1 out. VT makes another pitching change and put in a previous pitcher that wasn't the starting pitcher.

The math seems off, to me.

On the OP -- it depends on how / why the pitcher was removed and the code / rule specifics.

I think the pitcher walked in two runs which resulted them being down by 6.  Next pitcher walks in a run, down 5.  Next pitcher gives up a bases clearing double, now down 2.

11 hours ago, mark38090 said:

Cal Ripken 10u small state tournament .... another pitching change and put in a previous pitcher that wasn't the starting pitcher.

Cal Ripken allows 10 year old pitchers to pitch twice in the same game?

The following text is taken from the front matter of the 2021 Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken rule book…

0.06 PITCHING LIMITATIONS – LOCAL LEAGUE PLAY

5. Because each game in which a pitcher pitches is considered one (1) “assignment”, a pitcher in the same game may start out as a pitcher, play another position, and return to the mound and this would still be considered as one (1) assignment.

RE-ENTRY RULE AND EXPLANATION

RE-ENTRY RULE (ALL DIVISIONS) Any of the starting players may withdraw and re-enter once provided such player occupies the same batting position whenever he is in the lineup. A substitute who is withdrawn may not re-enter. All pitchers are governed by the provisions of Official Baseball Rule 3.05 if withdrawn while on the mound pitching. The pitcher withdrawn while a batter or base runner may re-enter the game immediately. If the pitcher is removed from the game because of a second trip in the same inning, he may re-enter the game in any position with the exception of pitcher.

NOTE: Any pitcher (starter or reliever) may leave the pitcher’s position and return as a pitcher provided he was not removed from the mound as a result of a second trip. This is true even if the player is removed from the game and later re-enters.

…If the pitcher is removed from the game because of a second trip in the same inning, he may re-enter the game in any position, (with the exception of pitcher), if he was one of the nine starting players.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2022 at 1:09 AM, The Man in Blue said:

ONE ... a UIC should not be doing games.  Their position as UIC is EXACTLY FOR THIS.

TWO ... Why would you ever forfeit a game for something that hasn't happened yet?  (Or maybe I am assuming the HT coach came out before you allowed the pitcher into the game.)

THREE ... well, I'm glad it was all fixed, especially since it was the Tournament Director's error.

FOUR ... you are right that the overnight delay probably turned the tide.

The tournament was short umpires so he stepped in to help move games along. 

Appreciate the clarification @mark38090 ... I get why it happens, just saying it shouldn't come to that.  Unfortunately, lots of things happen with officials that shouldn't happen (working solo, not having site administrators, not having UIC available, etc.).