2022 MLB Uniforms

FranklinT
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 680 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I think the flat fronts are going to be the new flavor of the day. Pretty soon we'll all be running out and buying them. 

I'm going to wait though. I finally capitulated and bought a bunch of Gerry Davis plate and base pants. I'll be using those for a while.

• Like 1

My fear with the flat-front plate pants for us more rounded umpires is a fear of the cup becoming too noticeable.  The pleats may make skinny guys look chubby, but they help us chubby guys not look as bad and help hide the cup.  I don't want flat-fronts if my cup is going to be too showy.  Maybe I'm worrying about dumb stuff or overthinking this possibly?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

My fear with the flat-front plate pants for us more rounded umpires is a fear of the cup becoming too noticeable.  The pleats may make skinny guys look chubby, but they help us chubby guys not look as bad and help hide the cup.  I don't want flat-fronts if my cup is going to be too showy.  Maybe I'm worrying about dumb stuff or overthinking this possibly?

No I agree with you. Flat fronts don’t do bigger folks any favors 

I have a hunch that the push to flat fronts is spurred by Nike. Smitty must have an ear on the inside (of the talks between MLBU and Nike), as Smitty is making a valiant pitch to continue the 2016 Panel -style Majestic introduced (which Nike probably doesn’t even acknowledge), and now a pant that is flat front and much more athletic-looking. 

On 4/21/2022 at 3:48 PM, JonnyCat said:

I think the flat fronts are going to be the new flavor of the day. Pretty soon we'll all be running out and buying them. 

I'm going to wait though. I finally capitulated and bought a bunch of Gerry Davis plate and base pants. I'll be using those for a while.

For a very long.  Those wear like iron.  

3 hours ago, boyinr said:

For a very long.  Those wear like iron.  

They are a comfortable pant. I reluctantly like the waist expander feature. I've never been a fan of the 3 belt loops in the back, can't for the life of me understand what that's all about. Who came up with that idea, and why?

I'm not a fan of the color either, but most everybody in our area are using the GD's, so we mostly match now wherever I go.

They are a comfortable pant. I reluctantly like the waist expander feature. I've never been a fan of the 3 belt loops in the back, can't for the life of me understand what that's all about. Who came up with that idea, and why?
I'm not a fan of the color either, but most everybody in our area are using the GD's, so we mostly match now wherever I go.

Shot in the dark here….when you bend/crouch and the belt is pulling at the belt loop, maybe the extra loops keep the waist from bulging out???

On 4/25/2022 at 12:13 PM, JonnyCat said:

I always thought the three belt loops in the back was a Gerry Davis Sports creation to make their pants more identifiable as they were the only ones doing this sort of look.  I know some think they help with ball bag placement but I actually think they dont as the ball bag is too far behind my leg the way these loops are set up.

I still prefer the standard 7 loop setup found on the good old made in USA Honig's Poly Wools.

• 4 weeks later...