Lightning Safety Rant!

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1275 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

We actually had a situation a few years back where the Varsity baseball, varsity softball, and jv softball all saw lightning. But the JV baseball field did not for one reason or another.

The following year, we received a SOP directive from the state that says that if one field sees lightning/hears thunder, that field is to immediately stop their game for the minimum required 30 minutes AND inform the other fields at the complex that they should stop as well.

We had a similar situation a couple of years back. I was working the bases on a JV baseball game. At the same site were the V baseball and V soccer games. I heard the thunder and stopped our game. the teams went to the field house, but neither V game stopped. I was getting an earful from the home coach. I decided to go over and tell the V baseball crew what I had. As I was walking to their field, a lightening bold struck the transformer on a pole about 50 ft beyond the left field fence. You had to see them all run.

You have to understand that, if a coach, AD or other other "hey, the storm is way over THERE!" loudmouth convinces you to keep the game going and the worst happens, they will be the first in line at the Courthouse suing your ass with the excuse "hey it's the UMPIRE'S responsibility to keep us safe!"

30 minutes ago, jjb said:

You have to understand that, if a coach, AD or other other "hey, the storm is way over THERE!" loudmouth convinces you to keep the game going and the worst happens, they will be the first in line at the Courthouse suing your ass with the excuse "hey it's the UMPIRE'S responsibility to keep us safe!"

^^^This...right here...all day long.

As soon as the plate meeting is over, it becomes our field. Take impending inclement weather seriously and make decisions that keep everyone safe.

~Dog

Biggest ration of crap I ever got was doing a HS Varsity game.  Damp day, some morning rain and a misty afternoon. The field was in good condition due to design and hard work by home team. We got through 4 innings until a driving rain chased us off the field.....a half hour delay and eventually we called the game for wet conditions and  severe lightning.....

The home coach went off not so much as to what our explanation was but because the girls varsity softball team played on during the whole scenario........rain and lightning

Sorry coach, I followed the rules for the game I was assigned.