Sign in to follow this  
BigVic69

LL 4.06 "chanting"

Question

4.06 (a) to (d) speaks to being nice and understanding to either side, eh?

When I was younger, many moons ago, chanting was a game time ritual. "Baaaaattterr, baaaatteeeerr SWING" from the defense and "3-2 what are you going to do...walk him, walk him" while on offense.

So, what do you allow with respect to LL 4.06?

5 answers to this question

Mr. BigVic69, you asked essentially the same question on July 21, 2019, in a thread titled Chanting in little league. Here’s the answer I posted then--

From the 2019 Little League Rules Instruction Manual:

4.06 - No manager, coach or player, shall at any time, whether from the bench or the playing field or elsewhere –

(b) use language which will in any manner refer to or reflect upon opposing players, manager, coach, an umpire or spectators;

INSTRUCTOR'S COMMENTS:

This includes firing up the crowd against the umpires or opposing team. The penalty is ejection from the game.

Language from anyone that reflects badly upon opposing players, manager, coach, an umpire or spectators. Penalty is ejection.

Most teams, particularly infielders, chatter (“Hey, batter, batter”) when the ball is being delivered. This is usually acceptable, and has not caused any problems in local leagues. Do not, however, allow any player, especially the catcher, to yell “Swing” at the batter when the ball is being delivered.

(c) make any move calculated to cause the pitcher to commit an illegal pitch [a balk in BASEBALL: Intermediate (50-70) Division/Junior/Senior League];

INSTRUCTOR'S COMMENTS:

Stop this maneuver immediately.

This could involve many acts, such as the batter stepping out of box or raising his/her hand toward the pitcher, the base coach yelling “Go” or “Balk”, the base runner yelling, or the manager yelling “Time” from the dugout.

The base runner clapping his/her hands or kicking the dirt is normally not a problem and should be ignored.

Even though the following case play is for high school I think it goes quite well with the previous Little League rules.

2014 NFHS Baseball Rules Interpretations SITUATION 12: The visiting team has developed an orchestrated team action to cheer on a teammate to get a rally going. The action consists of a rhythmic series of hand claps and foot stomps. RULING: As long as the action is within the spirit of fair play, and not intended to induce a balk, create a distraction for the opposing team or intimidate/demean them, this action is acceptable. There have been some instances where a team, for example, begins to pound bats in the dugout only when the opposing pitcher begins to deliver a pitch. That action is clearly intended to gain an advantage and is not to be allowed. (3-3-1)

• Like 1

Yes, we had that growing up.  No, I don't allow it.

4.06 - No manager, coach or player, shall at any time, whether from the bench or the playing field or elsewhere –

(b) use language which will in any manner refer to or reflect upon opposing players, manager, coach, an umpire or spectators;

I have heard Chants which were "3-2 what you gonna do walk him walk him" coming from the batting teams side and I stopped that.

I said You can cheer on your batter but you cannot be negative towards the opposing teams pitcher.  That is unsportsmanlike.  Coach agreed and stopped it immediately.

Pitcher's got a rubber arm, got it from the funny farm

We want a batter, not a broken ladder

Hey Blue, you're missing a great game

It was at one point gentle mindless fun...

But at some point, gentle fun jibes turned into:

Hey fatso, hey ugly, you suck and you're mother sucks great...and now nobody can have nice things.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this