Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hector

Time out

Question

Guest Hector

After a pitch and the catcher has the ball and he calls time out and throws the ball back to the pitcher but over throw him is that a live ball?

8 answers to this question

The catcher cannot call timeout.  He can request it.  Did the umpire grant time?

If yes, the ball is not live.

If no, the ball is live.

I had an interesting one last week in a 10u softball game ...

Runners on 2nd and 3rd, pitcher walks the batter (not intentional).  Defensive coach immediately comes out of the dugout, hollers “Time!” and starts to walk out to the circle.  The defense all starts to congregate around the circle.  The runner has not reached first yet.  The astute third base coach sends his runner to the “unprotected” home plate.

Defensive coach comes unglued.  “I called time!”  “Sorry coach, you don’t get to call time.  You can request it.  And I can’t grant it until the runner reaches first base.  Until then, live ball.”  He was not a happy camper.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

The catcher cannot call timeout.  He can request it.  Did the umpire grant time?

If yes, the ball is not live.

If no, the ball is live.

I had an interesting one last week in a 10u softball game ...

Runners on 2nd and 3rd, pitcher walks the batter (not intentional).  Defensive coach immediately comes out of the dugout, hollers “Time!” and starts to walk out to the circle.  The defense all starts to congregate around the circle.  The runner has not reached first yet.  The astute third base coach sends his runner to the “unprotected” home plate.

Defensive coach comes unglued.  “I called time!”  “Sorry coach, you don’t get to call time.  You can request it.  And I can’t grant it until the runner reaches first base.  Until then, live ball.”  He was not a happy camper.

At lower levels like 10u, In such a situation I think it best when a coach comes out early be preventive. 

Coach “ Time”. 

U1 “ Wait there coach. Not until she reaches first.”  

10 hours ago, Richvee said:

At lower levels like 10u, In such a situation I think it best when a coach comes out early be preventive. 

Coach “ Time”. 

Agreed -- and at higher levels, just grant the time when requested (assuming no other runners are attempting to / bluffing to advance, etc.)

• Like 1

Yesterday, I was watching a senior Legion game where a batter walked, ran to first--and kept going. You never know....

5 hours ago, LRZ said:

Yesterday, I was watching a senior Legion game where a batter walked, ran to first--and kept going. You never know....

Happens in LL all the time 

On 6/22/2019 at 8:32 PM, Richvee said:

Coach “ Time”. 

I agree ... and I usually will say “wait until she reaches first” or hold out my hand in a “wait” motion because I don’t look towards the coach (watching the runner) but I want to acknowledge the request.  I honestly don’t recall which I did that night (or maybe I goofed and missed my habit) but he blew through it and was already on his way.  

31 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

I agree ... and I usually will say “wait until she reaches first” or hold out my hand in a “wait” motion because I don’t look towards the coach (watching the runner) but I want to acknowledge the request.  I honestly don’t recall which I did that night (or maybe I goofed and missed my habit) but he blew through it and was already on his way.  

And as long as you didn’t say “time”. The play stands. 

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this