Sign in to follow this  
Fid00

Preseason excersizes

I start my season in about 5 weeks any tips  on getting my legs back in shape?  I’ve been doing some squats and stretching.  Just looking for some other ideas so I don’t feel like hell for the next three days after the first game!  Lol

39 minutes ago, Fid00 said:

I start my season in about 5 weeks any tips  on getting my legs back in shape?  I’ve been doing some squats and stretching.  Just looking for some other ideas so I don’t feel like hell for the next three days after the first game!  Lol

You should be “in shape” all year. While running doesn’t seem to be the right thing for plate work it works for me and an empty bases triple will test you. Run. 

Running is good, throw in some hills or stairs to help with working the plate (and never take the elevator when you can take the stairs - climb them two at a time).

If you're not into running, try jumping rope. It will work your legs, core, arms to a lesser extent (get a jump rope with weights in the handles), and is of lower impact than running. Not to mention that is one of the best cardio workouts you can do. Boxers do it for a reason. A good rope costs about $15.00 on Amazon. I do it because it helps with some nagging ankle pain that crops up now and again due to an old injury. 

Also, relax when you're working the plate. Tensing up will make things worse.

• Like 1

Healthy does of squats and lunges for plate work, with a good mix of cardio exercises (jog-sprints at a 3:1 rate are my favorite).  The cardio helps the endurance both physically and mentally to keep focus in long lackluster games.  

My Doc suggested against running, due to the impact, but ok'd me on walking on a treadmill.  Then again, this was after a total knee replacement.  I convinced him that short bursts of running on grass and "some dirt" shouldn't be that much of an impact.  He agreed.

Don't do what I did!  First two games this weekend and was no where near prepared.  Sitting at my desk with what feels like 2 knives shoved into my hamstrings.

Here I am having missed a lot of the 2019 season because I had knee surgery in February.  My PT requirements eventually got me to leg curls, leg presses, and calf raises.  My biggest problem was that I had to be inactive for so long, and my "good" knee/leg atrophied in its fitness.  

So I have been doing recumbent bike for cardio and my PT twice to three times a week. (Just getting back to treadmill.  Perspective:  I used to run marathons!)

Of the plate games I did, I wore some pretty sophisticated knee braces, and I felt pretty good.  I was tired from the work, but I know I'll have to stay with the PT through out the year.

I assume you have taken some clinics that show you the proper way to squat at the plate.  If so, this will biomechanically work your lower body properly and then keep your back out of pain.

Staying in shape is a year-round process.  I have a ways to go to get back to 100%, but so far the PT has helped a bunch!

Good luck!

Mike

Las Vegas