MSU @ Alabama Batter's Interference

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2185 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

11 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

So he called time when the catcher hit his mask and wondered if the following dead ball interference by the batter took precedence,  if you judge hindrance, was callable. Make's sense. I will continue to suggest to inexperienced umps to not turn the head on a strike call but will postulate, that if they see that done by experienced umps they know know what to catch before the head turn.

New umpires need to keep their faces toward fair territory.

13 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

No, he didn't kill it right away. (at least it doesn't appear that way)

He's killing it right here or at the :40 mark.

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 10.48.39 PM.jpg

You don't kill it right away. You wait to see if the throw retires the runner first.  If it doesn't then kill it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mister B said:

Are the new MLB guys still doing this?

I can't think of any of the new generation MLB umpires doing anything but facing forward.

As a matter of fact, the only guys I can think of that still turn their back is Bill Miller, Jerry Meals, and Larry Vanover. And I could be wrong about the last one.

1 hour ago, BT_Blue said:

I can't think of any of the new generation MLB umpires doing anything but facing forward.

As a matter of fact, the only guys I can think of that still turn their back is Bill Miller, Jerry Meals, and Larry Vanover. And I could be wrong about the last one.

You left out the best called third strike mechanic in the bigs! Tom Hallion 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jimurray said:

So he called time when the catcher hit his mask and wondered if the following dead ball interference by the batter took precedence,  if you judge hindrance, was callable. Make's sense. I will continue to suggest to inexperienced umps to not turn the head on a strike call but will postulate, that if they see that done by experienced umps they know know what to catch before the head turn.

Right here @umpstu

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MidAmUmp said:

He called Umpire Interference. Go to 1:25 in the video, you can kind of see the catcher hit the umpire's mask with his elbow. I went back and watched the actual clip on ESPN3 and you can see it...the video above almost cuts it off, but the original clip shows it and it also shows the umpire calling time right after his strike 3 call.

Thanks Jason - that clears up the confusion created by the broadcast and the announcers.

3 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

Assuming (maybe/maybe not) that he took last week off for the derby in his home state, wonder if he received a few requests in between races to give a demo without falling in the mud.

That being said... how many people could pick Tom Hallion out of a line up? Let alone at Churchill Downs?

8 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

That being said... how many people could pick Tom Hallion out of a line up? Let alone at Churchill Downs?

8 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Paul Nauert, Tripp Gibson, Greg Gibson, Randy Marsh, Jerry Layne, Terry Craft, Dan Morrison, Charlie Reliford.

• Like 1