Easy as it gets plus a story

BRUMP
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2210 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HS Varsity game. Im PU. Bot 6. Player takes a called K3 over the outside corner. Draws a line in the dirt and gets run. After the game I see a woman in a sweatshirt of that team coming over to my car. I was starting to think that id have to make a quick exit and get changed at wawa but to my surprise she said she was the players mother and asked for my email address to have him apologize for me. That night this popped into my inbox. (personal information redacted)

Dear Mr. BRUMP,

I apologize for losing control of my emotions during the second game today. My behavior was inappropriate.  I understand that I need to handle my emotions, especially in high-intensity situations, better in the future. I meant no disrespect to you or to the game.  I acknowledge that drawing a line where I thought the pitch should be called was wrong as it showed you up. My actions do not align with my values, and I regret disappointing my parents, and letting down my team. I will treat this experience as a valuable lesson going forward in this season, throughout my college career, and beyond. 

Sincerely, 

First Name Last Name
Somewhere in NJ High School ‘18

• Like 5

17 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Had this happen after an ejection of a kid from a Catholic school back when I was in SoCal.

It was quite interesting and unexpected.

That was my first thought too. This is what it is all about. 

20 hours ago, blue23ll said:

That was my first thought too. This is what it is all about. 

I just wish I could have appreciated the act more when it happened. I was a "tad" more cynical back then. So I just passed it off as the kid and the school trying to save face.

Had a similar situation some years ago (2005, 2006?), except pitcher was being over dramatic on calls not going his way.  I called time, informed coach (his father) that he was either going to pitch, or umpire.......not both.  He came up to me after the game, apologized, and asked for an indicator.  This way he could keep it in his ball bag as a reminder.  When our HS won the AAA State Championship in 2011, he handed it back to me and said, "I don't think I'll be needing this anymore".

• Like 3