GHSA Affirms Basketball Protest, Orders Replay

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2283 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Having already entertained protests in two sports (baseball - affirmed; football - denied), the Georgia High School Association brought its Board full circle, hearing a protest in its third-straight season as the GHSA overturned a basketball game result based on a misapplication of the...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let me get this straight. The schools need to set a date, get officials, the visiting team needs to get a bus, get to the gym, dress all  to  replay the last second of the 4th quarter, with the team leading by one inbounding the ball? :huh:

The trailing team was inbounding, and committed an unspecified violation.  So the leading team was awarded a throw-in, completed it, and then is penalized with the punching violation.  The trailing team would be awarded a throw-in  from the out-of-bounds spot nearest the SOP (spot of the punch) with 1 second remaining.

The officials for the completion of the game apparently will receive no compensation.  Nice.  Hope that throw-in doesn't lead to a foul, a single made free throw, and 2 overtimes.

14 hours ago, Richvee said:

So let me get this straight. The schools need to set a date, get officials, the visiting team needs to get a bus, get to the gym, dress all  to  replay the last second of the 4th quarter, with the team leading by one inbounding the ball? :huh:

And all for a high school basketball game?  Ridiculous.

23 hours ago, CJK said:

The officials for the completion of the game apparently will receive no compensation. 

Do they coordinate the new date with the referees? If not and one of the officials was unavailable and had to be replaced, wouldn't the new official be entitled to some compensation? 

Since this was NOT a ‘judgment call’ but a clear misapplication of a rule, play shall be resumed at the point of interruption when the violation occurred. It will be the responsibility of the two schools to determine when/where the resumption of play will take place and communicate that information with the local officials association and myself. Additionally, there shall be no added expense for officials assigned to finish the game in question.

I'm just basing what I said on the official statement.

18 minutes ago, scrounge said:

From what I read, the same teams are scheduled again next week, so they're just finishing it up then with the crew for that game.

That seemed like the least crappy way to choose the officials.  Still, I hope none of those guys have any significant travel.

1 hour ago, scrounge said:

From what I read, the same teams are scheduled again next week, so they're just finishing it up then with the crew for that game.

If they're any good, they already have another game for the makeup date. Or that's what I'd say.

2 hours ago, maven said:

If they're any good, they already have another game for the makeup date. Or that's what I'd say.

Sorry, I wasn't clear the first time...the two teams have a regularly scheduled game again next week, so likely that crew was already assigned to it for some time. 

Now, if they were to suddenly get the flu of course....I hear it's been bad this year.