Guest Kevin

stealing home plus drop 3rd strike, major league rules.

Question

Guest Kevin

Playing a tournament with major league rules. There is 2 outs, runner on 3rd and a full count on batter. Runner steals home, batter swings at strike 3 and misses, catcher drops the ball. The runner slides into home safely, the batter starts running to first base on dropped 3rd strike. The catcher throws runner out at 1st base. Does the run count since the play is not completed until the catcher throws out the batter at 1st base?

9 answers to this question

Playing a tournament with major league rules. There is 2 outs, runner on 3rd and a full count on batter. Runner steals home, batter swings at strike 3 and misses, catcher drops the ball. The runner slides into home safely, the batter starts running to first base on dropped 3rd strike. The catcher throws runner out at 1st base. Does the run count since the play is not completed until the catcher throws out the batter at 1st base?

The Run does not count. The batter was the third out before safely reaching first base.

Same as if the batter hit a ground ball to the infield and they threw him out at 1B for the 3rd out

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

As stated above, force play at first.  Run does not count.  More importantly, why is a runner stealing home with a batter swinging?

Nit-picking, but the out at 1B on a BR is not a force by definition. It does look like a force and act like a force... Just doesn't fall under the definition of it as defined in the rulebook :)

That's also why the rules explicitly have to state the 'out by the BR before reaching 1B' in the scoring rules.

1 hour ago, sthomas13100 said:

As stated above, force play at first.  Run does not count.  More importantly, why is a runner stealing home with a batter swinging?

Not a force play.

But the batter-runner not reaching first safely kills the run anyhow.

3 hours ago, sthomas13100 said:

Well, with two strikes it's probably a good idea to swing at something near the strike zone.  I'd venture to guess that with two out and full count, that the bases were loaded, not just R3, so not a steal per se.

The point of the question, I think, is to confirm whether or not the runner leaving before the pitch has any bearing on the third out rule for the batter.  

Unless the runner somehow managed to cross home plate before the pitcher started his delivery the third out rule applies.

14 hours ago, Guest Kevin said:

Runner steals home, batter swings at strike 3 and misses

:eek::crazy::wow:

12 hours ago, sthomas13100 said:

Living dangerously.  

Saw something similar:

Less than 2 outs. R3 stealing, Batter swinging at strike 3, catcher fails to catch strike 3; BUT manages to recover the ball and tags R3 out at home, BR beaks for first on the dropped third strike, and is safe.....AND the pitcher was called for a balk.

Whadya got?  And do the number of outs matter?  This was a 12u tournament under MLB rules several years ago and I can't remember the ruling.

Saw something similar:
Less than 2 outs. R3 stealing, Batter swinging at strike 3, catcher fails to catch strike 3; BUT manages to recover the ball and tags R3 out at home, BR beaks for first on the dropped third strike, and is safe.....AND the pitcher was called for a balk.
Whadya got?  And do the number of outs matter?  This was a 12u tournament under MLB rules several years ago and I can't remember the ruling.

Enforce the balk bc R3 didn't advance safely.

• Like 1

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.