I'm Old

lawump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2611 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm not really that old (41)...but I sure do feel old this past week.  I did a D1 game last week between two mid-majors, and it was the first time I had a game where I had umpired both head coaches as college players. 

I don't know why I'm posting that tidbit, other than the fact that I just can't stop thinking about this.  I told SWMBO, and she said that means I should think about retiring and stay home with her 24/7.  LOL.

• Like 2

Whippersnapper (*snicker* - I'm only 4 years older)

I'm taking my youngest on a college visit tomorrow. One more year and I'll be looking at an empty nest.

From the retired guys I know, I predict that "stay home with her 24/7" would last about 2 weeks before she's begging you to go somewhere else.

• Like 1

I can relate.  Got word through my local LL this year, that a coach who brought all 3 of his boys through our program (a few:question1:) years ago, is back with his grandson in coach pitch.  My how the stories will fly in a couple of years. 

Wait until you've lived up another decade or two. I'm umpiring (and refereeing basketball) for the kids of guys I officiated for when they (the parents) were teenagers. However, I don't think I'll make it to the grandkids' games. 

10 hours ago, lawump said:

I'm not really that old (41)...but I sure do feel old this past week.  I did a D1 game last week between two mid-majors, and it was the first time I had a game where I had umpired both head coaches as college players. 

I don't know why I'm posting that tidbit, other than the fact that I just can't stop thinking about this.  I told SWMBO, and she said that means I should think about retiring and stay home with her 24/7.  LOL.

Get out that O2 tank you wheezer, geezer.

Time for you to go to the land of newly weds and nearly deads in good old St. Pete.

Here is your article.

http://viemagazine.com/article/the-new-st-petersburg/

oh, but look, you can still umpire while wearing your O2 tank

http://sportzedge.com/2017/01/06/florida-softball-league-is-87-many-players-are-even-older/

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/7f3ff6761fea454793d050f14c866c62

Maybe you and SWMBO can team up with KenBAZ and his new? SWMBO and take turns visiting each other over a toddy and a vigorous game of shuffleboard.

Or maybe, SWMBO will just turn you in for a newer model. You better git to exercizin.

Last summer a kid I'd coached as a 10u came out as the HC for a college summer league team. That got me thinking for sure. But not about retiring, I was wondering how he got so much older when I hadn't aged at all.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:42 AM, kylehutson said:

Whippersnapper (*snicker* - I'm only 4 years older)

I'm taking my youngest on a college visit tomorrow. One more year and I'll be looking at an empty nest.

From the retired guys I know, I predict that "stay home with her 24/7" would last about 2 weeks before she's begging you to go somewhere else.

Easy there young buck.  I've got YOU by a nickel

• Like 1

On 3/9/2017 at 9:32 AM, lawump said:

Does this make you feel younger?????

http://www.uncabulldogs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=baseball&id=3537

Since you are one of those in the know.

Is this veteran at 1st base being brought in by the NCAA to help the young buck whipper snappers, like this umpire on the plate, with the high strike that is mentioned in another Topic post in this Collegiate category??????