Throat protector tip

kylejt
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2541 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I wish someone would have told me about this a long time ago. If you have a dangling throat protector mounted on the upper/inner rung, you've noticed it CLACKS against the lower bar. Now I've put a small rubber bumper on each one to eliminate this annoying noise. Home Depot/Lowes has these little dots.

SAM_0941.JPG

SAM_0940.JPG

SAM_0938.JPG

SAM_0939.JPG

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

@kylejt should give an instructional on attaching throat guards. Seriously, he's doing artisan-esque work with these. Even though I don't currently employ throat guards, I would watch in interest – I would just avert my eyes, put my fingers in my ears and chant "BallBallBallBallBall" if the part where Kyle explains how to cut a Nike's "unicorn horn" comes up.

#WeCanDoBetterThanShoeString #AnyoneEverHearOfLevel? #1001WaysToUseZipTies

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Matt said:

I find the clacking aesthetically pleasing. I guess different strokes for horses of different colors.

Hahaha! True story... 10 minutes after I made my post above, I was walking through my kitchen and I just stopped dead out of the blue and thought to myself "Maybe I'll like the clacking sound?"

Now I'm REALLY climbing up the walls for this stuff to get here. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Again on the old threads, but there's a purpose behind this post. 

I, like @kylejt , can't stand the obnoxious clacking. I also don't like watching a line deteriorate off my throat guard from the contact with my mask. So tonight I went out to home depot and found some of these fabled adhesive dots. I got both clear and black dots to see which would work best. First I tried to put a clear dot on the mask frame itself, but it wouldn't stick and kept sliding around/falling off. So then I took a clear dot and put in on the throat guard, where it stuck just fine to the flat surface. I like the look of the clear dot better because it doesn't take away from the logo on the throat guard as much. Here's the final result. Thanks @kylejt for the ingenious solution. If it happens to fall off in the never ending rain around here I'll report back, but I have plenty more dots to replace it.

noclack.thumb.jpg.ffdb6ce68df95efc774b6695fec8a9df.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Matt Hoey said:

I have the same Mizuno Throat Guard and I put it to the very bottom for FULL protection of the throat area and NO clanging just sings a bit not NO ISSUES.

Matt, the photo of Kyle's throat guard on that mask is indeed the proper location to mount it.  On the bottom rung of the throat extension puts it too far forward and a ball will flip it up into your throat

• Like 1