Fall Ball

GPblue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2720 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

20 hours ago, GPblue said:

Impressive.  I don't know of any DII schools around me that use 3 man....not until tournament play.

Not sure how reliable this is for the East Coast. But was watching a Facebook Live video last night where the presenter said that, at least here on the West Coast, D2 will be moving to three umpires.

2 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Not sure how reliable this is for the East Coast. But was watching a Facebook Live video last night where the presenter said that, at least here on the West Coast, D2 will be moving to three umpires.

It would make sense since the major D1's are going to 4 man.

On 10/19/2016 at 0:36 PM, GPblue said:

Excellent.  Kinda surprised they asked for a 3 man in the fall, but it's their money.

Any idea if they use 3 during the conference play?  

Most D2's in the Midwest are 3-man. Even some NAIA's have gone to 3. 

1 hour ago, MidAmUmp said:

Most D2's in the Midwest are 3-man. Even some NAIA's have gone to 3. 

always a treat to have you respond.

How does it work in your area for getting College fall ball games at the Juco, D3, D2, D1 levels. Do you call up the coach to volunteer your services or

does only your local group assign the games, therefor calling the coach would be a waste of time. You would need to join your local group in Aurora.

How exactly does that work. It may be different in other areas if Missouri and all over the US.

1 hour ago, dumbdumb said:

always a treat to have you respond.

How does it work in your area for getting College fall ball games at the Juco, D3, D2, D1 levels. Do you call up the coach to volunteer your services or

does only your local group assign the games, therefor calling the coach would be a waste of time. You would need to join your local group in Aurora.

How exactly does that work. It may be different in other areas if Missouri and all over the US.

We work through the CBUA.

I personally assign fall schedules for Drury University, Evangel University in Springfield and College of the Ozarks just south of Branson.

Missouri and Missouri State are assigned by a very good friend of mine.

Most of the MIAA Conference schools go through their supervisor.

I can't answer what other schools do for umpires (if they even use them) in the fall.

I wouldn't contact a coach and ask to work. I would ask who does the assigning and find out how to get ahold of that person. This is an ego driven profession and it would be a good way to get on an assignor's bad side by going past the assignor to try to work.

10 hours ago, MidAmUmp said:

I personally assign fall schedules for Drury University, Evangel University in Springfield and College of the Ozarks just south of Branson.

I can't answer what other schools do for umpires (if they even use them) in the fall.

I wouldn't contact a coach and ask to work. I would ask who does the assigning and find out how to get ahold of that person. This is an ego driven profession and it would be a good way to get on an assignor's bad side by going past the assignor to try to work.

I didn't even think of that... What if you aren't already in college baseball? I'm trying to get my foot into the door and just get in front of some eyes to get a chance to advance. I will be attending your camp next year and continue to work hard to advance.

The answer you are looking for is in the last sentence. Call umpires in your area that are working higher level ball and ask them for some ideas on what to do. Some groups are ok with you going to get your own fall ball games. Others are not.

18 hours ago, MidAmUmp said:

Thank you MAU

This is what i was trying to bring up in my prior posts. It may be OK to call up the coach in an area like Maineump (thanks for your candid reply Maineump), but in other areas you would need to find the assignor to go through. It is OK whatever way is used but I did not want someone to get in trouble/doghouse in their area right off the bat..

Can I ask if fall ball assignments that you personally give out are rewards for some candidates that you have in mind (knocking on the door) for your non-conference staff, to get a further look at them on a collegiate environment? Or do you ever give an assignment to those what would only be in High School ball but are several years away from a collegiate assignment and you are just trying to wet their whistle to keep working hard and lets see where things go on down the road a ways.

Just asking for how the fall ball assignments are considered in your area, or with you personally as an assignor.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 9:12 PM, MidAmUmp said:

I totally agree with this. I started by asking who assigned the fall games for them. They replied with "we do". It saves them money in the fall, and they are very active in the community, to help coaches teams and umpires work to get better (during fall ball).

My college board does not assign their regular spring games, so working for them in the fall does not affect by group. I do not however do the D-3 school in the fall, as my college board assigns their spring season (not the fall games), and I WILL NOT step on toes.

I am not sure who does the D-3 school in the fall, but I know it isn't our college group.

On 10/17/2016 at 0:57 PM, JSam21 said:

I'm just really looking to keep getting better. I would like to keep advancing and my goal in umpiring is to make a conference staff... then I will look for bigger goals. I just like working games and pushing myself to be better every time I go out there.

I went to the only college we have in my area, a community college.  At first talked to the players in the batting cage and then the head coach. He was reluctant at first and then I watched a fall ball game and talked to the guy working the plate. He turned out o be a coach as well and let me in on the fall ball schedule.  The next game I was working the bases, which the head coach wasn't so happy about. He felt I should have gone through the assigner for the conference.  I felt different as there were no other college umpires from my area.  Turns out that assigner loved having his ass kissed and umpires working the bases with plate brushes and brushing the pitcher's plate during the game. Plus the assigner worked games, but only the bases.  I would get a few games from him, but got my real break when a good team from out of the area came to town for a tournament. After working the game the assistant coach came and asked my partner and me if we would be interested in working their tournament. After that tournament I was known so then started getting games. Keep working and be persistent.  If you can umpire you'll get the games eventually.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GPblue said:

what in your post game did your partner(s) address that you feel you still have a lot to learn?

I was thinking way too much instead of just reacting to the play. I was either slow going out on balls or I didn't go at all because I was thinking if I should or not... it was a lot of the little things like selling the call and knowing how to communicate within the 3-man. I was also told that I need to get in better shape, trust me I do, if I want to break back into college ball.

2 hours ago, JSam21 said:

I was thinking way too much instead of just reacting to the play. I was either slow going out on balls or I didn't go at all because I was thinking if I should or not... it was a lot of the little things like selling the call and knowing how to communicate within the 3-man. I was also told that I need to get in better shape, trust me I do, if I want to break back into college ball.

It sounds like a clinic would be a good first start to get around some quality umpires who have the time to go over some things you haven't learned/been around before.

If you can't, I would reach out to the college assigner's in the conference's in your area and if you have time next spring to go out to a Weekend doubleheader and just watch a crew work, take notes, and then ask them questions(which is why ask the assigner, they will have a better sense of the guys that would be open to doing this with you).  

To the in shape... I am a bigger guy and know my limitations.  Was it a case of being out of position, or not getting around the diamond? I apologize ahead of time if that is perceived as rude. 

34 minutes ago, GPblue said:

It sounds like a clinic would be a good first start to get around some quality umpires who have the time to go over some things you haven't learned/been around before.

If you can't, I would reach out to the college assigner's in the conference's in your area and if you have time next spring to go out to a Weekend doubleheader and just watch a crew work, take notes, and then ask them questions(which is why ask the assigner, they will have a better sense of the guys that would be open to doing this with you).  

To the in shape... I am a bigger guy and know my limitations.  Was it a case of being out of position, or not getting around the diamond? I apologize ahead of time if that is perceived as rude. 

I'm either going to be going to the Mid-American or the Great Plains Umpire Camp next year... I was going to try to get to the 4th game of the series to watch them work last night but was unable to as it was my daughter's birthday.

It was more of one causing another... I can get around the diamond but with me thinking about what I should be doing instead of just reacting, it made me not be able to get into the positions that I needed to be. The goal, starting today, is to drop 40 lbs by the time spring ball rolls around for me.

You could also check out some rec league fall ball or early spring games. The pay sucks, but if you can get some 50/70 games, they can get pretty exciting. You won't have to cover the same amount of territory, but you'll be getting in some reps. And they should be pretty easy to get. Slightly different rulesets, but the mechanics are very similar. Work on your strike zone as well as getting into position for the call at a base. 

I need to learn to react more to the ball, versus to the players. So I can work on that on a 40/60 or a 50/70 field without being horrendously out of position. My movement from B position is definitely improving as I'm no long thinking about where I need to go, I'm just going. 

• 2 weeks later...

Our assigner in our two D1 conferences requires us to do at least 3 Fall scrimmages. I've done my 3 and trying to find a couple of more to do. They don't pay any money but I look at it as paying my dues. Three of the schools are within an hour and a half drive and one is 10 minutes from my house.