Felix Hernandez from the set

Richvee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2824 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

6 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Because there is no time requirement, there is no such thing as "more of a stop."  It's either a stop or it isn't.  Felix meets the requirement in the rule.

To be more direct - I would not call this a balk at any level I officiate (which is pretty much HS and college these days).

OHC:  "He's got to stop."

ME:  "He's okay for me, skip."

Ditto. 

15 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Because there is no time requirement, there is no such thing as "more of a stop."  It's either a stop or it isn't.  Felix meets the requirement in the rule.

To be more direct - I would not call this a balk at any level I officiate (which is pretty much HS and college these days).

OHC:  "He's got to stop."

ME:  "He's okay for me, skip."

That's not where it's going to end though ..........

11 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

Maybe I'm just more discerning then some others but I am fine at all levels with this. I'll get a no stop when a guy has a certain pace then tries to rush to the plate with a base stealer on.

I don't think that's a thing.  It's either a stop or not on that particular delivery, regardless of any previous tempo.  A pitcher can legally change his tempo to disrupt the base-runner.

3 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

more proof that California High School coaches are more reasonable than most :rolleyes: 

Maybe, but we have our fair share of tool bags here too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Maybe, but we have our fair share of tool bags here too.

this one was fresh for me this season ....

cross over conference game, 2, #2 teams going at it, ....one last years MHSAA Class A State Champs, the other an up and coming team pushing for a District run.  Ex-champs pitcher was close, but WAS STOPPING ....  other teams head coach (3b) was pitching a fit.  I had to tell him a couple times until it got to a point where it was "John, ..he's fine, I'm not saying it again"    he still wasn't happy .... but finally shut up .........   whatever ...

Jester,

What I'm saying is that when I see a no stop balk it is because an F1 is feeling rushed and just wants to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible. Not when he's purposely trying to vary his hold times.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk