Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4000 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

What do you guys use on bases and plate for cold weather game. Got a double header tonight, going to be around 40 degrees during last game which I have the plate

  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Yesterday I used for the first time the Manzella Hybrid Ultra Glove that I bought from Ump Attire.    It was about mid 40's & breezy.  They were OK, but I easily could have used a warmer glove.   I had the bases.

Posted

Ump-attire just sent email out with their cold weather products, they have 3-4 different pair listed. Look for something can use on both plate and bases, not to thick and bulky but warm enough also

Posted

I don't use anything on the plate.  I sometimes wear them before the game and then put them in my ball bag once we start.  As soon as I'm moving around, it's warm enough behind the plate.

Posted

I have a pair of under armour gloves my brother gave me, I think they came from the px, that are amazing. My extremities get cold fast and stay cold but I swear by these glove. Not too hot, not to cold, and my hands don't sweat in them. They were really appreciated during spring ball with snow on the ground. Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Posted

I haven't had a whole bunch of cold games, and I know you asked about gloves, but something that really helped me out in a super cold game was a Hot Hands hand warmer in each pocket.  These things give off an amazing amount of heat and last for several hours.  I was about to freeze to death and the home team manager walked by and gave me one and then the visiting team manager came by and gave me another one.

Pull them out between innings to warm your hands and they also help keep you warm while in your pocket.  Not sure how some you feel about sticking your hands in your pockets, but on super cold days, forget it.  I'm keeping my hands as warm as possible.  

Posted

I bought a pair of Under Armour Ridge Reaper gloves this past spring and they served me quite well during cold games. I also don't use them when I'm on the plate, but in the field I found them invaluable when gametime temperatures were hovering just above zero (35F for the Americans in the crowd).

I got them in medium because I was looking for a very snug fit, and that's what I got. I'd recommend them if you can get them for around $40, which is what I paid.

Posted (edited)

40 degrees is cold? You would need gloves for most of our HS season here :) . My first game last March here was around 15 degrees with the wind chill, there was also snow around the outfield fence.

I have seen anything from all black batting gloves to leather gloves with inserts. Some gloves have dimples on the palms, so you can throw the ball, use the indicator etc.

Not sure of the brand I use, but they are light weight. I think the important thing is for them to protect from the wind and wetness.

Edited by maineump
Posted

Any decent, black, cold weather glove, with a Hot Hands inside will work.  Put a Hot Hands in each pocket, too.

 

I don't like gloves when I'm on the stick.

Posted

I have 3 pairs of gloves in my bag and will use for either plate or base. 

  1. Manzella Powerstretch - Cool weather (I'm in the South - my definition of cool weather may vary from yours ;) ) 
    https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Clothing-Apparel/Cold-Weather-Accessories/MZ62_Manzella-Powerstretch-Gloves
  2. Manzella Windstopper - Cold Weather 
    https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Clothing-Apparel/Cold-Weather-Accessories/MZ-100_Manzella-Trekker-Windstopper-Gloves
  3. Unknown Brand I've had forever - Freezing.  Forget using an indicator or having any real manual dexterity, but your hands will stay warm. 

 


×
×
  • Create New...