Sign in to follow this  
Thawk

Funny line from coach; CDP week 4

So, working the last game of the night on Wednesday.  In the rabbit.  Bottom of the 1st, First batter gets plunked in the shoulder region and starts to head down to first.  PU signals time, and states that the batter did not attempt to evade the ball, so no HBP.  Head Coach comes out of the dugout, requests time, and walks straight toward the PU.  In the process he says something that makes the 1st base umpire nearly bust out laughing.  so later between innings, I go over to take to the BU.  He tells me that the coach walked to the PU, and said "You'ld better have a reason, and it BETTER BE GOOD!"

I made this call in a game on Friday.  Batter dipped his elbow (and his stupid elbow shield) right into the pitch.  "Time!  Stay here!"  Not one person said a word.  Batter looked at me and all I said was, "You can't dip your elbow into the pitch."  He simply nodded and that was that.

the coach walked to the PU, and said "You'ld better have a reason, and it BETTER BE GOOD!"

​If I was PU, I wouldn't be laughing...and post-game, I'd need to know what BU found so funny. Coach smart mouthing like this is not a laughing matter.

...better be good or else what ?

I called this over the weekend also. Relaxed atmosphere in a consolation round game. Pretty easy call. Batter stuck his elbow right out into the ball. Batter's bench starts laughing and yelling at their batter.."haha, you got caught again!", then I hear, "at least this time it wasn't called a strike". Probably should have called it again in another game this weekend. Batter made no movement on an inside curve. Stood there like a statue and let it hit his upper arm. Heard a little from the defense's bench about batter having to make an effort. I am reluctant to keep a batter in the box when the pitch is in the center of the batter's box. I think I need to change that. 

​If I was PU, I wouldn't be laughing...and post-game, I'd need to know what BU found so funny. Coach smart mouthing like this is not a laughing matter.

...better be good or else what ?

​Oh no one laughed on the field.  1st base BU covered his mouth quickly.  PU calmly explained the situation.  Coach got heated, but we all kept our composure.  Realize at CDP, if a coach, player, or parent gets ejected, they're gone forever, can never return to the park for the rest of their life.  So we are told to give them a longer leash.  in our post game back at the bunkhouse we were having fun with that line.

I did call a high school on it when he turned his shoulder into a slow curve, he told me his coach told him to keep his shoulder in on breaking ball something not clicking there called it a strike. On breaking balls that  start behind the batter and they get hit I would give them first as the first instinct is to back away heck when I finally learned in my late twenties I would jump into the other batters box.