Bad umpiring (in my opinion)

th3
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3227 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

As is true, I'm sure, with most of us, I'm a big umpire defender when I'm watching a game as a spectator. Today I saw some bad umpiring. I was watching an opening round LL majors district game.  The visiting team was from the town that I live in and i know the kids and the coaches. Early in the game, a call went against the VT (banger at 1st which I had the same way that the ump called it) and the VT coach barked a little from the dugout but nothing more that a "that's terrible".  Nothing else eventful until the top of 5. VT at bat (winning 1-0) with a runner on 2nd. A ball was hit to the outfield and as the runner from 2nd was scoring the base umpire threw the VT coach (coaching 3rd) out of the game. At 1st no one knew what was going on - I assumed that maybe he had called coaches interference and then the coach said something to him (i was watching the call and didn't look at 3rd until I saw the umpire gesturing). The coach said a few things to the ump and walked off and out to the lot.  I walked over to the asst district admin who was sitting on that side of the field and asked what happened, and he said that the umpire said that the coach cursed. I then walked out to the parking lot and the coach said that he said "run god dammit" as his kid was rounding 3rd. And that was it.

He went on to say that the umpire was a former president of the board from the home team town and that he (the coach) and the umpire had coached against each other for years and that he felt that the ump had it in for him. I am the 1st to tell everyone that umps never take grudges onto the field and while we might get them wrong we are always impartial - but it sure looked to me like this guy went out of his way to toss the coach.  

That's all

This is LL and NJ. The umpires are not paid and are "volunteers".  Does anything else need to be said? The coach was smart. The team gets to continue. Are you the guy in another thread that does not know that LL did not adapt the OBR feint to 3B rule?

Edited by Jimurray

LL has zero tolerance for cursing on the field and run GD would most likely be directed at a player and most likely fairly loudly during a district game. 100% toss every time if I hear a coach yelling this at 11-12 year olds. 

Good EJ per LL standards and rules. Coach needs to restrain himself. 

• Like 3

As is true, I'm sure, with most of us, I'm a big umpire defender when I'm watching a game as a spectator.

but it sure looked to me like this guy went out of his way

​It appears you were watching and posting with your heard and your bias toward your home town team.

This is LL and NJ. The umpires are not paid and are "volunteers".  Does anything else need to be said? The coach was smart. The team gets to continue. Are you the guy in another thread that does not know that LL did not adapt the OBR feint to 3B rule?

​i havent read yet but if in fact LL did not adapt the OBR feint to 3rd rule that yes i am the guy

If the umpire is the former board president from the HT's league, what is he doing umpiring the game? Doesn't the district assign umpires to games that don't involve their teams? That's standard practice out here.

In any case, depending on the volume of what was yelled, I think an EJ could be justified here.

i wouldn't toss on this one. i give the coach a talking to after the inning and let it go.

​This language has no place (let alone directed at an 11/12 y/o player) in Little League.  I realize that you as a person have your own opinion and value that.  However, If I hear that on a 60' diamond, someone is leaving the game.  The coaches set the example for their teams.  If you let them set THAT kind of example, the rest of the umpires have to deal with those PLAYERS who modeled their behavior after their LL coach, when they get to High School.

• Like 1