Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4144 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

This weekend I was working a 12U Travel Tournament, at least they called it Travel Ball. I had my first game at 9am and the first inning went smoothly, but then when the "Away" Team came up to bat in the second the Home Team's pitching didn't show up at all. They walked 30 runs home in that inning that is not a typo 30 runs there was no mercy rule, every run was walked home. No matter how big a strike zone I called they found a way to walk the batters. They went through three pitchers, one of them got one out, and gave up ten runs, and he has a 270 E.R.A. now. Oh and when they did finally end the inning, which was done because of a batting out of order situation they then came up to bat, stuck out 1-2-3 and proceeded to give up 15 more runs. Final Score was 60-0, real win for promoting baseball in our youth right? Anyone ever have a worse final score? 

  • Like 1
Posted

How on earth do you have a tournament, a KID ball tournament, without run rules!?!? Geez Louis, even Utrip made theirs smaller this year!

Posted

How on earth do you have a tournament, a KID ball tournament, without run rules!?!? Geez Louis, even Utrip made theirs smaller this year!

​I was told since it was tournament play, not in season play they wanted to, and this is a quote "promote competition in our youth", this was a "season starting" tournament, which essentially means its the first games the teams are playing as a team and yet they want it to "promote competition". The only run rule was that the game ended if a team was up by 15 runs after 4 innings or 10 after 5 innings, didn't help because all 60 runs scored in the first 4 innings. 

Posted

​I was told since it was tournament play, not in season play they wanted to, and this is a quote "promote competition in our youth", this was a "season starting" tournament, which essentially means its the first games the teams are playing as a team and yet they want it to "promote competition". The only run rule was that the game ended if a team was up by 15 runs after 4 innings or 10 after 5 innings, didn't help because all 60 runs scored in the first 4 innings. 

​15 after 4!? That's insanity for 12! I did a 9uA tournament few weeks ago, 1 inning took an 1:40, score after the first, 20-0. TD ended the game and bonused me $20 when he wrote my check because he felt so bad. 

Posted

​15 after 4!? That's insanity for 12! I did a 9uA tournament few weeks ago, 1 inning took an 1:40, score after the first, 20-0. TD ended the game and bonused me $20 when he wrote my check because he felt so bad. 

​The worst part was I was working a double header and of course I had the losing teams next game, and it wasn't as bad as the first game but it still was like watching a car crash, you want to look away but you can't(or in this case are being paid to not look away). 

Posted

Probably one of those times your hoping the skies will unleash on you and end your misery.

 

Posted

We always do a 20 at any time rule in tournaments and open league play as well as 12 after 3 and 8 after 4 for 6 inning games and 15, 12 and 8 after 5 for 7 inning game.

Posted

This weekend I was working a 12U Travel Tournament, at least they called it Travel Ball. I had my first game at 9am and the first inning went smoothly, but then when the "Away" Team came up to bat in the second the Home Team's pitching didn't show up at all. They walked 30 runs home in that inning that is not a typo 30 runs there was no mercy rule, every run was walked home. No matter how big a strike zone I called they found a way to walk the batters. They went through three pitchers, one of them got one out, and gave up ten runs, and he has a 270 E.R.A. now. Oh and when they did finally end the inning, which was done because of a batting out of order situation they then came up to bat, stuck out 1-2-3 and proceeded to give up 15 more runs. Final Score was 60-0, real win for promoting baseball in our youth right? Anyone ever have a worse final score? 

 

​you have my 42-0 3 inning game beat.

Posted

We don't have any tournaments around here (Grand Slam, USSSA or Triple Crown)  that have a run rule after 2 - only 3 innings.  Whoever decided to enter that team into a tournament was obviously not thinking straight.

  • Like 1
Posted

Probably one of those times your hoping the skies will unleash on you and end your misery.

​And at that point, either rain OR lightning (as long as it got me directly) would be an acceptable outcome.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

We always do a 20 at any time rule in tournaments and open league play as well as 12 after 3 and 8 after 4 for 6 inning games and 15, 12 and 8 after 5 for 7 inning game.

​Even in the top of the first? Most run rules are designed to, at the least, make sure the losing team gets all of their players up to bat before the game is called.

Posted

Yes, even in the top of the 1st.  I have seen it happen once and the losing coach didn't have a problem with it at all.  He was actually glad that it was called.

Posted

I've been in a similar situation, 13-15 level. Once, the dominating team was up by 15, I told the next batter as he approached the box, "If you can reach the pitch with your bat, it's going to be a strike." He just laughed at me, until I called the first pitch which crossed above the brim of his helmet a strike. The next pitch bounced about 5 feet in front of the plate and up through the strike zone, "Strike 2!" He then gave me a funny look and I commented, "I bet the next one is close enough to hit too." It was about 6 inches into the left hand batters box and I rung him up for "Strike 3! Out!"

The next batter received the same instructions. He watched the first strike, but started swinging after that. Every batter from that point forward was reminded that the pitches were probably strikes and they should probably swing.

They proceeded to score 9 more runs that inning, but it was much quicker because they were hitting the ball and not waiting for the walk. 

It was still a long game, but was moved along by making the batters swing at the pitch they were given.

×
×
  • Create New...