Plate Umpire Brian Knight Leaves Game on Pitch to Head

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3312 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Umpire Brian Knight left the Phillies-Nationals game after a pitch struck his mask in the top of the 9th inning of the contest. With two out and one on, Knight took a first-pitch fastball from Nationals pitcher Blake Treinen squarely to the protective grill covering his face after the pitch eluded...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Yikes, that hurts to watch. Hope he doesn't get a concussion and can get back at it soon.

That's why I'm not such a fan of the traditional mask -- that thing didn't move much, so his head absorbed much of the energy.

I'm not sure a bucket would've been that much better given where that hit the mask, and the velocity it would've had. Assuming a decent level of competency for the catcher, usually the hits we take have some sort of deflection to at least slightly take some of the impact out. Clearly the pitch wasn't were it was supposed to be, but that couldn't have hit the middle of the mask any better with laser guidance.

Yikes, that hurts to watch.  Hope he doesn't get a concussion and can get back at it soon.

That's why I'm not such a fan of the traditional mask -- that thing didn't move much, so his head absorbed much of the energy.

That's unfounded, but at least with a real mask you don't look like Mr. Freeze.

So much for the unfounded theory that a traditional mask will spin and magically make the impact better. Yes, of course, on many impacts the mask will spin - those are generally relatively glancing blows that didn't impart all that much direct force in the first place. I'm not necessarily saying anything at all about whether a traditional mask is better or worse than an HSM - but this idea that a traditional will spin and save you is just physics garbage.

Yikes, that hurts to watch. Hope he doesn't get a concussion and can get back at it soon.

I'm not sure a bucket would've been that much better given where that hit the mask, and the velocity it would've had. Assuming a decent level of competency for the catcher, usually the hits we take have some sort of deflection to at least slightly take some of the impact out. Clearly the pitch wasn't were it was supposed to be, but that couldn't have hit the middle of the mask any better with laser guidance.

I couldn't tell for sure if the pitch missed by that much or if the catcher just completely whiffed on it because he was setting up for a quick throw to second. Maybe both.