The SUPER Slot

Mr Ump

UPDATE: Well I have worn both my WVG TW and my UE in 4 games. I have yet to be hit. I don't usally get hit a lot anyway so this is true to form. I work a lot on positioning and using the Super Slot.

@Mr Ump What is the Super Slot? Super Slot is a technique us college guys are using as of late. It is basically a staggered stance where say the batter is right handed. Place your left foot almost even with the catchers left foot and your right foot slightly turned out, even with the catchers spine. Now square up to the pitcher. This should give you total view of the outside corner. It takes balls to do so if you the scary type forget it. I love it. You will see the entire zone much better. I wish I had a pic but don't.

UPDATE: Well I have worn both my WVG TW and my UE in 4 games. I have yet to be hit. I don't usally get hit a lot anyway so this is true to form. I work a lot on positioning and using the Super Slot.

@Mr Ump What is the Super Slot? Super Slot is a technique us college guys are using as of late. It is basically a staggered stance where say the batter is right handed. Place your left foot almost even with the catchers left foot and your right foot slightly turned out, even with the catchers spine. Now square up to the pitcher. This should give you total view of the outside corner. It takes balls to do so if you the scary type forget it. I love it. You will see the entire zone much better. I wish I had a pic but don't.

Ala Lance Barksdale?

@Mr Ump I'm interested in hearing more about it. How is the Super Slot position different than heel-toe? You are further forward? Any further to the left (on a right handed batter)? Head height the same (chin no lower than top of catcher's head), or is your head lower/higher? I searched UE and someone said the super slot is used when you are squeezed, so you move forward and lower. Do you use the super slot even when not squeezed? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm interested. 

@Mr Ump What is the Super Slot?Super Slot is a technique us college guys are using as of late. It is basically a staggered stance where say the batter is right handed. Place your left foot almost even with the catchers left foot and your right foot slightly turned out, even with the catchers spine. Now square up to the pitcher. This should give you total view of the outside corner. It takes balls to do so if you the scary type forget it. I love it. You will see the entire zone much better. I wish I had a pic but don't.

@Mr Ump I'm interested in hearing more about it. How is the Super Slot position different than heel-toe? You are further forward? Any further to the left (on a right handed batter)? Head height the same (chin no lower than top of catcher's head), or is your head lower/higher? I searched UE and someone said the super slot is used when you are squeezed, so you move forward and lower. Do you use the super slot even when not squeezed? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm interested. I use it all the time and the two main differences are 1. more forward and 2. I see a lot more of the outside corner than in the box or Gerry Davis.

@Mr Ump What is the Super Slot? Super Slot is a technique us college guys are using as of late. It is basically a staggered stance where say the batter is right handed. Place your left foot almost even with the catchers left foot and your right foot slightly turned out, even with the catchers spine. Now square up to the pitcher. This should give you total view of the outside corner. It takes balls to do so if you the scary type forget it. I love it. You will see the entire zone much better. I wish I had a pic but don't. @Mr Ump I'm interested in hearing more about it. How is the Super Slot position different than heel-toe? You are further forward? Any further to the left (on a right handed batter)? Head height the same (chin no lower than top of catcher's head), or is your head lower/higher? I searched UE and someone said the super slot is used when you are squeezed, so you move forward and lower. Do you use the super slot even when not squeezed? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm interested. I use it all the time and the two main differences are 1. more forward and 2. I see a lot more of the outside corner than in the box or Gerry Davis.

Interesting. Would really like to see some pictures of this in action.

@Mr Ump What is the Super Slot?
Super Slot is a technique us college guys are using as of late. It is basically a staggered stance where say the batter is right handed. Place your left foot almost even with the catchers left foot and your right foot slightly turned out, even with the catchers spine. Now square up to the pitcher. This should give you total view of the outside corner. It takes balls to do so if you the scary type forget it. I love it. You will see the entire zone much better. I wish I had a pic but don't.
I tried this out yesterday in some weekend ball. I absolutely loved it. Have 2 more plates today. And if I still love it will give it a whirl tomorrow night in my High School game. I should add, I am not 100% sure I am doing it right. But I am doing it close to how you described it. Games Worked Too Damn Many

@Mr Ump What is the Super Slot?

Super Slot is a technique us college guys are using as of late. It is basically a staggered stance where say the batter is right handed. Place your left foot almost even with the catchers left foot and your right foot slightly turned out, even with the catchers spine. Now square up to the pitcher. This should give you total view of the outside corner. It takes balls to do so if you the scary type forget it. I love it. You will see the entire zone much better. I wish I had a pic but don't.

I tried this out yesterday in some weekend ball. I absolutely loved it. Have 2 more plates today. And if I still love it will give it a whirl tomorrow night in my High School game. I should add, I am not 100% sure I am doing it right. But I am doing it close to how you described it.

Games Worked Too Damn Many

@Magic I could have written the same message this morning! The only difference is I had three plates yesterday and none today.

But, more importantly, I did try what I think is the super slot and it worked very well! I had a nice full view of the plate, the delivery, the full path of the pitch, the glove after the catch, the catcher's knees, and, of course, the batter. I found it dead easy to judge low pitches and high pitches. "In" was very easy to judge, of course. "Out" required more judgment, but always does and with all the clues at my disposal, that was not any harder. My "squats" were deeper, but not a great problem.

Like Magic I am not sure I am doing it correctly, but what I did do worked well.

I will try it in my next HS plate game.

This "Super Slot" plate stance.  I had never heard the term before but in fall 2013 at Topeka Premier Umpire Clinic, Dan Weikle (NCAA D2 Umpire Coordinator) and Bob Jones (Former assigner of the Big 8 Conference) along with some local guys were instructing on plate mechanics at one of the two fields we students were working.  They were playing college fall ball and some HS fall showcase team games.  The colleges and HS teams were not playing each other.  Colleges vs colleges, HS vs HS)

During my plate Dan Weikle in particular kept saying "Get up in there!  Get up closer!"  I'm sure the catchers could feel my hot breath and body heat we were so close.  Footwork they had me doing was exactly what Mr. Ump describes.  I lock in a squat with my hands behind my knees.  Man could I see the outer half.  I was in the play, in the zone, in the catcher's business.  Just all up in it.

They didn't say any name for the stance just pushed me up in there.  Been using it ever since.  Works great for me.  It was difficult at first but now I have no issues.  Sometimes the catcher and I bump up a bit when he has to shift inside for a pitch or one in the dirt but I haven't interfered enough to need to call it yet.

So I am in the "Super Slot".  Well alrighty then.

• Like 1

This "Super Slot" plate stance.  I had never heard the term before but in fall 2013 at Topeka Premier Umpire Clinic, Dan Weikle (NCAA D2 Umpire Coordinator) and Bob Jones (Former assigner of the Big 8 Conference) along with some local guys were instructing on plate mechanics at one of the two fields we students were working.  They were playing college fall ball and some HS fall showcase team games.  The colleges and HS teams were not playing each other.  Colleges vs colleges, HS vs HS)

During my plate Dan Weikle in particular kept saying "Get up in there!  Get up closer!"  I'm sure the catchers could feel my hot breath and body heat we were so close.  Footwork they had me doing was exactly what Mr. Ump describes.  I lock in a squat with my hands behind my knees.  Man could I see the outer half.  I was in the play, in the zone, in the catcher's business.  Just all up in it.

They didn't say any name for the stance just pushed me up in there.  Been using it ever since.  Works great for me.  It was difficult at first but now I have no issues.  Sometimes the catcher and I bump up a bit when he has to shift inside for a pitch or one in the dirt but I haven't interfered enough to need to call it yet.

So I am in the "Super Slot".  Well alrighty then.

@Majordave what is your head height? What I felt the other day was very much like being in the catcher's business. It as like *being* the catcher.

Sounds like you guys got it. From the description you have given of what you are viewing it sounds right. One fan told me, "You really get up in there. That makes it hard to dispute what you call."

Most umps that have college assignments have good judgement so the Super Slot is an extra edge. Since I started using it Last summer I doubt I have missed over 2 pitches in a game. Definitely have not been questioned on pitches. I encourage others to try it. You will see pitches you never saw before.

Oh yeah, don't change your head height. The only thing you are changing is your foot position. And remember to square your shoulders to the pitcher for maximum CP protection.

And yes, you are up in the catchers business. If he bumps you going left (rt handed) or vice versa just take a small step back. And I do mean small. The view outside corner will remain the same. That bump might happen once a game at most and once you get use to the Super Slot it won't happen at all. Enjoy...

Ok so day 2 of the Super Slot. And I must say, I had some mixed results early. I think the Catcher hit my left leg(slot leg) twice during game 1. And I did feel myself get pinched a little bit when the catcher squeezed the inside corner. But what I can tell you is I am seeing the whole zone. No doubt in my mind about it. Tomorrow night will be the big test. I am on the plate for the #6 team in the Nation in their first league game. And it's 3 man. Working with the President of our Association and the likely Crew Chief for our Finals crew this year. Should be fun. I will let you know how it goes.

Games Worked Too Damn Many

If you can (I do it) back the catcher up a half step. Now at the same time you can keep the Super Slot stance and back yourself up (small step) and still see everything. As you play with it you will refine the technique and create more space with you and the catcher. I learned the better the catcher the easier it is to do.

• Like 1

OK ....SO ...

You're closer, .... and your feet are (in general) further apart, and more staggered than heel toe, right?

@Mr. Ump, please start a new thread in the mechanics section and I'll send all of the Super Slot stuff from this thread over there.  I'll also try to find the thread that @Tksjewelry mentioned ....

• Like 1

Sounds like you guys got it. From the description you have given of what you are viewing it sounds right. One fan told me, "You really get up in there. That makes it hard to dispute what you call."

Most umps that have college assignments have good judgement so the Super Slot is an extra edge. Since I started using it Last summer I doubt I have missed over 2 pitches in a game. Definitely have not been questioned on pitches. I encourage others to try it. You will see pitches you never saw before.

MLB umpires aren't that good. 

Well I am. If you focus on the game you won't miss pitches. Too many umps lose focus during the game. I try to stay on top of my duty. Plate work is really not that hard. At least for me it's not per my ratings. I can't speak for others. What I do know is the Super Slot helps, it don't hurt and my missed pitch count is way down.

OK ....SO ...

You're closer, .... and your feet are (in general) further apart, and more staggered than heel toe, right?

@Mr. Ump, please start a new thread in the mechanics section and I'll send all of the Super Slot stuff from this thread over there. I'll also try to find the thread that @Tksjewelry mentioned ....

Will do.

The Super Slot topic came up in another thread. If you have not tried it you should give it a whirl. Especially if you need to see the low and away outside corner pitches better.

Basically it is a mechanic that a lot of us college guys are using where you use a staggered stance. Say you have a right handed batter, place your left foot almost even with catchers left foot ( but of course to the left a half to a foot or so) and your right foot even with his spine. Turn the right foot slightly to the right to relieve pressure on your back. Now square your shoulders up to the pitcher and use regular head height in relation to the catchers head.

At this point you will see the outside corner, all too low pitches, catchers glove, inside pitches, too high pitches, etc. You will almost feel like you are the catcher. You will be in 'deep'. If you are the scary type this is not the stance for you.

Reverse the footwork for a lefty.
Be agile and ready to move should catcher have to go left or right.

Thunderheads is bringing over to this thread other posts on this topic from the previous thread. Sorry I have no pics of this new mechanic yet but maybe in a week once I catch up with my photographer. Lol...enjoy

Well I am. If you focus on the game you won't miss pitches. Too many umps lose focus during the game. I try to stay on top of my duty. Plate work is really not that hard. At least for me it's not per my ratings. I can't speak for others. What I do know is the Super Slot helps, it don't hurt and my missed pitch count is way down.

Whatever you say. I haven't been around a real long time, but I know we are easily humbled when we get too proud of ourselves. 

Your "Super Slot" is really just adjusting to what the catcher and batter are doing. It's not new. 

• Like 1

With this "new" way, you don't square up to the pitcher. Your shoulders are squared toward the second baseman with a right-handed batter. (Toward the shortstop with a left-handed batter) That's the whole idea. It gets your head/shoulders already angled toward the outside corner and you only move your eyes to track. I've tried this way of angling my head and shoulders and don't like it. It works for some but it isn't comfortable for me. I stay pretty square to the pitcher. 

As far as moving up on the catcher and getting up in the slot further, it is being taught at clinics now but it isn't really new. My slot foot is already even with the catcher's foot in my regular stance. 

• Like 1

Question about this, apparently, I was told this is how I was setting up in the slot naturally (probably because I'm short) but because my foot was turned out I was catching foul balls that got under the catcher on my inner thigh. Any way to avoid that? Those hurt like a b*&+#

• Like 1