My Gear

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3534 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Where is the spreadsheet? I will confess, when I first saw your pictures I sort of laughed a little, then I realized that except for an extra pair of shoes and a pair of masks, we have about the same number of items of gear. OMG, I feel so dirty..... :big_no

Love the superman sticker on the gold, but what is that other cp? Looks like a P200 or one of the varients(P210 etc).

It's a VPRO Isn't that pretty much a champion velcro? Or am I wrong about that?

http://www.homerunsports.info/vpro-umpire-chest-p-25372.html

Love the superman sticker on the gold, but what is that other cp? Looks like a P200 or one of the varients(P210 etc).

It's a VPROIsn't that pretty much a champion velcro? Or am I wrong about that?

it is ....Thanks, thought I read that on here but couldn't find the thread. Btw, like how you added gap protection to your gold.

I had to show my fiancé a post similar to this last night that someone else posted to show her that the amount of gear I order doesn't compare to others! I'll be showing her this one tonight. THANKS UMPIRE EMPIRE!

• Like 1

JDavis, don't set up a false sense of expectation with your fiance. The sooner she knows that umpiring is your one true love, the better things will be, maybe....prenup comes to mind. 

• Like 2

In all seriousness, why do you guys need so much gear? I have one CP, one pair of shin guards, one mask, one pair of plate shoes, one pair of base shoes, etc. 

I do have two pair of plate and base pants in case of rips/stains, and multiple shirts for the bases or plate, but I just don't get it. I know it's like a hobby for some of you guys, but why waste money on stuff you can only use 1/4 of the time?

I just can't fathom ever needing more than one pair of plate shoes at a time.

In all seriousness, why do you guys need so much gear? I have one CP, one pair of shin guards, one mask, one pair of plate shoes, one pair of base shoes, etc.

I do have two pair of plate and base pants in case of rips/stains, and multiple shirts for the bases or plate, but I just don't get it. I know it's like a hobby for some of you guys, but why waste money on stuff you can only use 1/4 of the time?

I generally own and carry 2 of everything, in case something breaks.

Refer to Post #15

You go to strap on your leg guards or CP and something snaps/breaks?  What are you going to do? Replace the strap, or throw your back-up on?  Just one quick example.

You go to strap on your leg guards or CP and something snaps/breaks?  What are you going to do? Replace the strap, or throw your back-up on?  Just one quick example.

That was posed to me when I asked why people needed backup masks.  "What if your mask breaks during the game?" was what I was asked.  My response was I'm not finishing the game.  I figure if my mask breaks on me during the game, I'm going to the hospital.  I suppose something crazy could happen and if it did, I'd send one of my partners to the locker room to get one of their masks.

Obviously we all work at different levels so while carrying backup stuff works at the local or high school levels, at the level I work we have dressing rooms and security.  I can't just throw open the trunk lid and pull out something different.  I'm just imagining working at TD Ameritrade and having to run out to my car to get something.  Between the fact you park in left field and the dressing room is almost behind home plate and having to deal with security, it would take almost 20 minutes to get out there and get a backup.  That wouldn't go over well with the pitchers who are already warm and ready to go...or with the TV network (if the game is televised).  So I would borrow someone else's stuff or have them work the plate.  I might call in a trainer and see if they can put some athletic tape on it to get me through the game.  That's about it.

I try to keep my stuff in good working order.  Obviously things can break and surprises happen, but I cannot carry around backup gear.

That was posed to me when I asked why people needed backup masks.  "What if your mask breaks during the game?" was what I was asked.  My response was I'm not finishing the game.  I figure if my mask breaks on me during the game, I'm going to the hospital.  I suppose something crazy could happen and if it did, I'd send one of my partners to the locker room to get one of their masks.

Obviously we all work at different levels so while carrying backup stuff works at the local or high school levels, at the level I work we have dressing rooms and security.  I can't just throw open the trunk lid and pull out something different.  I'm just imagining working at TD Ameritrade and having to run out to my car to get something.  Between the fact you park in left field and the dressing room is almost behind home plate and having to deal with security, it would take almost 20 minutes to get out there and get a backup.  That wouldn't go over well with the pitchers who are already warm and ready to go...or with the TV network (if the game is televised).  So I would borrow someone else's stuff or have them work the plate.  I might call in a trainer and see if they can put some athletic tape on it to get me through the game.  That's about it.

I try to keep my stuff in good working order.  Obviously things can break and surprises happen, but I cannot carry around backup gear.

Hail to the big shot!

• Like 1

You are fortunate that you work those levels.

Those of us that have to work 10-16 games on a weekend have a higher chance of something braking.

Once, took a fastball to the mask which spread the bars...thank god no further. It was a mid week D1 tilt. I was stupid and kept using it for an inning until I took a ball out of my bag and pressed it against the bars and found that another good shot would have gotten through. We had a locker room, so I could get someone (cart driver/room attendant) to get my back up for me. My partner's masks were in their trunks, much further away. You're right though, at almost any other venue I work the switch would have been much harder, but I still think going and getting my back up from wherever would be faster than gearing up a partner. Wait time? No one noticed, it was a 3:45 beauty.