Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4455 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

 

When I am the BU no matter if I am in A, B or C I make the call with what I saw. If the coach comes out and ask me to get help with the call or if I think I might have kicked it I will go to HP umpire and ask him if he saw a pulled foot etc. If he is 100% sure I will reverse it no problem we got it right that is all that matters. 

You may as well short cut the process and just ask everytime.  Or, even better -- just have PU make all the calls.

 

 

I don't think he literally meant anytime a coach asks him to get help.  There would have to be some doubt or the situation might call for it.  This is a case where in my opinion you have to umpire.  You have to have that sense of what is best for the purpose of game management.  Sometimes when you are 100% certain of your call, it may still work in your favor to go to your partner to pacify the coach a little (obviously you have to read it correctly and do it form a position of authority not submissiveness).  In that case I would probably tell my partner during the conversation that I saw it and don't need to hear anything from him.  Then I'd confirm the call.  I've done this before and gotten a thank you from the coach and all was well.  If it is a manipulative coach that I feel may try to use it again, I might just explain that it was my call and I saw it all the way so there is nothing for me to get help on.  

 

I think some of you feel that it is ALWAYS wrong to pacify a coach.  I think anything that is not going against the rules, and makes our jobs easier is all good.  If being a hardass and owning my call creates unnecessary tension on the field, then I think it is a bad decision, when a simple private meeting with my partner gives the coaches a warm fuzzy feeling.

  • Like 1
Posted

 

What basis did the manager request your partner to get help? Your partner said he missed the bag, you said he didn't, that's not additional information that's a different opinion. Who's to say he wasn't right the first time. From "A" I can't really invision a situation where I'm going for help. Anything that happens I can take a read lean/step and see everything. Yes we want to get the call right but that's why I'm positioned where I am. Unless the manager has something other than "can you get help" I will NEVER ask my partner if he has a different opinion. Getting help is for when the manager (or I) thinks I have a rule wrong/ getting blocked out etc. Not much is going to happen at 1st like that.

 

When it is as the OP described where he dragged his foot and clipped the front edge I would say that is a little strange and could possibly have thrown his partner off.  We are used to looking at certain things as we've learned through mechanics training and any slight deviation from that could cause us to not process the play accurately.  I'm not saying every deviation causes a problem just that you never know when it might. Sometimes those slightly strange variations are easier to see from further away.  I know I've made calls before where I wasn't sure, but made the call I thought was the right one because something threw me off.  Based on the OP's later post where his partner said that fan and coach reaction caused him to seek a second opinion it sounds like that was the case.  As long as he really was unsure to begin with and did not let fan/coach reaction change his mind, I've got no problem with it.

 

In the OP the BU said he missed the bag and the PU said he didn't, I would be curious to know what the manager said when he requested that BU go for help. Fan and coaches reaction be damned. It the BU's job to get that play, no reason in the world as described for him to need help. Do your job. Far too many partners will get help to appease a manager to get him to shut up, that makes it worse on the rest of us.

  • Like 2
Posted

 

 

When I am the BU no matter if I am in A, B or C I make the call with what I saw. If the coach comes out and ask me to get help with the call or if I think I might have kicked it I will go to HP umpire and ask him if he saw a pulled foot etc. If he is 100% sure I will reverse it no problem we got it right that is all that matters. 

You may as well short cut the process and just ask everytime.  Or, even better -- just have PU make all the calls.

 

 

  Sometimes when you are 100% certain of your call, it may still work in your favor to go to your partner to pacify the coach a little ....  

 

 when a simple private meeting with my partner gives the coaches a warm fuzzy feeling.

 

If he just wants a different call  I will never go to my partner to pacify a manager as for the "warm fuzzy feeling" that's between him and someone else to provide.

Posted

 

 

What basis did the manager request your partner to get help? Your partner said he missed the bag, you said he didn't, that's not additional information that's a different opinion. Who's to say he wasn't right the first time. From "A" I can't really invision a situation where I'm going for help. Anything that happens I can take a read lean/step and see everything. Yes we want to get the call right but that's why I'm positioned where I am. Unless the manager has something other than "can you get help" I will NEVER ask my partner if he has a different opinion. Getting help is for when the manager (or I) thinks I have a rule wrong/ getting blocked out etc. Not much is going to happen at 1st like that.

 

When it is as the OP described where he dragged his foot and clipped the front edge I would say that is a little strange and could possibly have thrown his partner off.  We are used to looking at certain things as we've learned through mechanics training and any slight deviation from that could cause us to not process the play accurately.  I'm not saying every deviation causes a problem just that you never know when it might. Sometimes those slightly strange variations are easier to see from further away.  I know I've made calls before where I wasn't sure, but made the call I thought was the right one because something threw me off.  Based on the OP's later post where his partner said that fan and coach reaction caused him to seek a second opinion it sounds like that was the case.  As long as he really was unsure to begin with and did not let fan/coach reaction change his mind, I've got no problem with it.

 

In the OP the BU said he missed the bag and the PU said he didn't, I would be curious to know what the manager said when he requested that BU go for help. Fan and coaches reaction be damned. It the BU's job to get that play, no reason in the world as described for him to need help. Do your job. Far too many partners will get help to appease a manager to get him to shut up, that makes it worse on the rest of us.

 

 

Well obviously the discussion and disagreement was about whether he got the bag.  "I saw his foot and I saw space between his foot and the bag" is different than "I didn't see his foot touch the bag".  But in either case your response would be "I had him missing the bag" or "I didn't have him getting the bag".  If the BU didn't have him missing the bag he would have called him out in the first place.  When that is your call it's one of two things -  I have him getting the bag or I don't.  You have to make the call.  The angle you get should be the best angle to call the sound glove versus BR foot hitting bag.  If the throw pulls him forward and he brings his foot down on the front side of the bag facing home plate there is a chance that the PU had a better quick look at it from 45' feet away.  Maybe the first baseman's other foot was behind his front foot and blocked the view. 

 

The same argument could be made that far too many umpires refuse to get help and it makes it harder on the rest of us.

 

For this play I would hope that BU legitimately was unsure of whether the foot hit the bag.  If he was confident in what he saw then he should tell the coach "this is my call and I called it as I saw it.  I'm confident I got the call right.  Nothing my partner says can change that".  I've told many coaches that I won't go for help on a play that I saw all the way.  But If I sense based on the game environment that pacifying a coach might be the thing to do at the moment, I've done that also.

 

I've also worked tournaments were there was almost a mandate to go for help to pacify the coaches.  Now was this mandate because coaches were rats or umpires were redasses or combination of both?

  • Like 1
Posted

 

When I am the BU no matter if I am in A, B or C I make the call with what I saw. If the coach comes out and ask me to get help with the call or if I think I might have kicked it I will go to HP umpire and ask him if he saw a pulled foot etc. If he is 100% sure I will reverse it no problem we got it right that is all that matters. 

You may as well short cut the process and just ask everytime.  Or, even better -- just have PU make all the calls.

 

 

Let me clear this up a little.

 

When I am the BU and there is a close play and the HC comes out and ask me to get help on it I will if I believe I may have kicked the call or I believe the PU may have had a view of something I was blocked out on. I dont go to my partner on every call or cause the HC ask me to like you seem to think I do. This is called getting the call right and not standing there like some fat lazy ump who is too proud to get help.

  • Like 1
Posted

 

 

When I am the BU no matter if I am in A, B or C I make the call with what I saw. If the coach comes out and ask me to get help with the call or if I think I might have kicked it I will go to HP umpire and ask him if he saw a pulled foot etc. If he is 100% sure I will reverse it no problem we got it right that is all that matters. 

You may as well short cut the process and just ask everytime.  Or, even better -- just have PU make all the calls.

 

 

I don't think he literally meant anytime a coach asks him to get help.  There would have to be some doubt or the situation might call for it.  This is a case where in my opinion you have to umpire.  You have to have that sense of what is best for the purpose of game management.  Sometimes when you are 100% certain of your call, it may still work in your favor to go to your partner to pacify the coach a little (obviously you have to read it correctly and do it form a position of authority not submissiveness).  In that case I would probably tell my partner during the conversation that I saw it and don't need to hear anything from him.  Then I'd confirm the call.  I've done this before and gotten a thank you from the coach and all was well.  If it is a manipulative coach that I feel may try to use it again, I might just explain that it was my call and I saw it all the way so there is nothing for me to get help on.  

 

I think some of you feel that it is ALWAYS wrong to pacify a coach.  I think anything that is not going against the rules, and makes our jobs easier is all good.  If being a hardass and owning my call creates unnecessary tension on the field, then I think it is a bad decision, when a simple private meeting with my partner gives the coaches a warm fuzzy feeling.

 

 

I agree with you 100% on this.

I have many times either went to my partner or he came to me and the conversation is "Man those girls in the stands are smoking hot you think they would buy us some beer after the game? yeah I doubt it oh yeah runner was safe HC is a douche bag so shake your head like you agree with me it will make him feel better". 

What this does is make the coach feel better and it can stop him from getting fired up. Now that again does not mean I do it everytime he ask me to. 

Posted

 

 

Sometimes when you are 100% certain of your call, it may still work in your favor to go to your partner to pacify the coach a little (obviously you have to read it correctly and do it form a position of authority not submissiveness).  In that case I would probably tell my partner during the conversation that I saw it and don't need to hear anything from him.  Then I'd confirm the call.  I've done this before and gotten a thank you from the coach and all was well.  If it is a manipulative coach that I feel may try to use it again, I might just explain that it was my call and I saw it all the way so there is nothing for me to get help on.  

 

I think some of you feel that it is ALWAYS wrong to pacify a coach.  I think anything that is not going against the rules, and makes our jobs easier is all good.  If being a hardass and owning my call creates unnecessary tension on the field, then I think it is a bad decision, when a simple private meeting with my partner gives the coaches a warm fuzzy feeling.

 

I agree with you 100% on this.

I have many times either went to my partner or he came to me and the conversation is "Man those girls in the stands are smoking hot you think they would buy us some beer after the game? yeah I doubt it oh yeah runner was safe HC is a douche bag so shake your head like you agree with me it will make him feel better". 

What this does is make the coach feel better and it can stop him from getting fired up. Now that again does not mean I do it everytime he ask me to. 

 

Both of these practices are 100% do-do. If there is a reason to ask for help, ask. If you have the call, 100%, don't ask. You going to your partner to ask him what he had for lunch to make it look like your discussing the play is totally unprofessional. You may placate the fishing HC in your game, but you make it more difficult for the next crew that doesn't put up with HCs that are just fishing for a call that's to their benefit.  

Posted

 

 

 

Sometimes when you are 100% certain of your call, it may still work in your favor to go to your partner to pacify the coach a little (obviously you have to read it correctly and do it form a position of authority not submissiveness).  In that case I would probably tell my partner during the conversation that I saw it and don't need to hear anything from him.  Then I'd confirm the call.  I've done this before and gotten a thank you from the coach and all was well.  If it is a manipulative coach that I feel may try to use it again, I might just explain that it was my call and I saw it all the way so there is nothing for me to get help on.  

 

I think some of you feel that it is ALWAYS wrong to pacify a coach.  I think anything that is not going against the rules, and makes our jobs easier is all good.  If being a hardass and owning my call creates unnecessary tension on the field, then I think it is a bad decision, when a simple private meeting with my partner gives the coaches a warm fuzzy feeling.

 

I agree with you 100% on this.

I have many times either went to my partner or he came to me and the conversation is "Man those girls in the stands are smoking hot you think they would buy us some beer after the game? yeah I doubt it oh yeah runner was safe HC is a douche bag so shake your head like you agree with me it will make him feel better". 

What this does is make the coach feel better and it can stop him from getting fired up. Now that again does not mean I do it everytime he ask me to. 

 

Both of these practices are 100% do-do. If there is a reason to ask for help, ask. If you have the call, 100%, don't ask. You going to your partner to ask him what he had for lunch to make it look like your discussing the play is totally unprofessional. You may placate the fishing HC in your game, but you make it more difficult for the next crew that doesn't put up with HCs that are just fishing for a call that's to their benefit.  

 

 

Think of it this way.  When I have done this it has been when the coach firmly believes that my partner had a better look at it than I did. So it depends on how he approaches it.  If he comes out and politely says "I think from your partner's angle he may have seen what I saw and you couldn't see it from your angle.  Would you mind asking him?". I'm probably going to ask.  Now I had a situation when a guy was stealing third and I was in "C".  I banged him out.  Coach called time, came out and argued the call with me.  Then he asked me to get help.  No way in that situation.  Each situation is different.

Posted

Think of it this way.  When I have done this it has been when the coach firmly believes that my partner had a better look at it than I did. So it depends on how he approaches it.  If he comes out and politely says "I think from your partner's angle he may have seen what I saw and you couldn't see it from your angle.  Would you mind asking him?". I'm probably going to ask.  Now I had a situation when a guy was stealing third and I was in "C".  I banged him out.  Coach called time, came out and argued the call with me.  Then he asked me to get help.  No way in that situation.  Each situation is different.

 

I don't have a problem with that post, but that's not what you said in your previous post.

 

In that case I would probably tell my partner during the conversation that I saw it and don't need to hear anything from him.  

 

You were talking about making your job easier that day by giving a HC the impression that you went to ask your partner about the play in question.

 

I think anything that is not going against the rules, and makes our jobs easier is all good.  

 

All good you for...the next crew ?, not so much.

 

I think some of you feel that it is ALWAYS wrong to pacify a coach.

Like me.

Posted

 

 

 

Sometimes when you are 100% certain of your call, it may still work in your favor to go to your partner to pacify the coach a little (obviously you have to read it correctly and do it form a position of authority not submissiveness).  In that case I would probably tell my partner during the conversation that I saw it and don't need to hear anything from him.  Then I'd confirm the call.  I've done this before and gotten a thank you from the coach and all was well.  If it is a manipulative coach that I feel may try to use it again, I might just explain that it was my call and I saw it all the way so there is nothing for me to get help on.  

 

I think some of you feel that it is ALWAYS wrong to pacify a coach.  I think anything that is not going against the rules, and makes our jobs easier is all good.  If being a hardass and owning my call creates unnecessary tension on the field, then I think it is a bad decision, when a simple private meeting with my partner gives the coaches a warm fuzzy feeling.

 

I agree with you 100% on this.

I have many times either went to my partner or he came to me and the conversation is "Man those girls in the stands are smoking hot you think they would buy us some beer after the game? yeah I doubt it oh yeah runner was safe HC is a douche bag so shake your head like you agree with me it will make him feel better". 

What this does is make the coach feel better and it can stop him from getting fired up. Now that again does not mean I do it everytime he ask me to. 

 

Both of these practices are 100% do-do. If there is a reason to ask for help, ask. If you have the call, 100%, don't ask. You going to your partner to ask him what he had for lunch to make it look like your discussing the play is totally unprofessional. You may placate the fishing HC in your game, but you make it more difficult for the next crew that doesn't put up with HCs that are just fishing for a call that's to their benefit.  

 

 

I think you are taking this way too far and putting too much into it. Sorry you have to put up with all those coaches asking you to get help cause of guys like me. I dont know how you make it throu the night with all that pressure. You must have to eject coaches all night cause of this. If you are driving and get lost and your wife ask you to pull over and get directions do you eject her out of the car? If your kids ask you a question and they say they are going to go ask mommy now do you eject them out of the house?

 

PS....I love how you used not only the bold but underlined it however I would have done it also in ALL CAPS just to prove you are the best and we should all strive to be as professional as you at all times on the field.

Posted

 

 

 

Let me clear this up a little.

 

When I am the BU and there is a close play and the HC comes out and ask me to get help on it I will if I believe I may have kicked the call or I believe the PU may have had a view of something I was blocked out on. I dont go to my partner on every call or cause the HC ask me to like you seem to think I do. This is called getting the call right and not standing there like some fat lazy ump who is too proud to get help.

 

no.  own the call.

 

maybe

 

And, never "pretend' to go for help.  Go or not.

  • Like 1
Posted

HS quarterfinal game. Bunt. 3-man crew. I'm at the 45 and F3 stretches straight up on a high throw. I'm 100% sure he has the bag.

Partner had a lot to look at along with a whacker at the bag. I looked at one thing - was F3s foot on the bag.

He came to me, we changed the call, I chunked the first base coach.

Picture in the paper the next day shows the toe on the bag.

I like to think in A I'm getting a call and not chasing a second opinion. But I'll never say never. Lots of years left in the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Posted

 

Personally, I'm not going to my partner if I'm BU from A unless something VERY strange happens. I'm 5' away, hes 90' away. Aint happening.

As for how this meeting of the minds went, this is textbook.

 

Hey, with no runners, play at 1B on the BR: I'll be 45 feet away. :wave:

 

Been with a lot of partners over the years that are 90 feet away. :shakehead:

Posted

 

 

Personally, I'm not going to my partner if I'm BU from A unless something VERY strange happens. I'm 5' away, hes 90' away. Aint happening.

As for how this meeting of the minds went, this is textbook.

 

Hey, with no runners, play at 1B on the BR: I'll be 45 feet away. :wave:

 

Been with a lot of partners over the years that are 90 feet away. :shakehead:

 

 

You and me both, brother. Some I wished were a lot farther away than that.

  • Like 4
Posted

I don't think I saw this posted over the two pages of posts but if it was my apologies...

 

How I handle this type of situation:

 

Base umpire owns this call 100%.  However it is the PU responsibility to trail the BR and assist on swipe tag and pulled foot. Once the BU makes the call right or wrong as PU you return to the point of plate. When the coach comes out to argue the call, If I have something different than the original call, I will immediately gain distance toward my partner and the coach making sure I am in the line of sight to my partner. I will then give my partner the “I have something different†signal (usually taking my plate cap off). That lets him know that we should get together. If I don’t have anything different, I will stay at the POP or a few steps up the line to listen to the argument in case of ejection of the coach.

 

 

It is this method of silent communication that allows the base umpire to completly own the call and the argument. As the base umpire, he will know immediatly if his partner has something diffrent. If the partner has nothing, then there is no need to go to him for help because he already knows he has nothing diffrent.

  • Like 1
Posted

Billsh&T.,.. i hate when people try to tell you not to do this... the BU came to ask you what you had, you told him. Now it is the BU who has to keep/change the call.

 

Our job is to get the call right. you did that... maybe some of the "guys in your group" should read some manuals and "learn to umpire"

Posted

Billsh&T.,.. i hate when people try to tell you not to do this... the BU came to ask you what you had, you told him. Now it is the BU who has to keep/change the call.

 

Our job is to get the call right. you did that... maybe some of the "guys in your group" should read some manuals and "learn to umpire"

 

Yep. I stopped reading after about a page because I was surprised this is even a discussion. 

 

The BU asked for help and the PU gave him what he had. Nothing wrong with it at all. If the BU comes to the PU four times in this same game, you will know you have a real problem on your hands. 

  • Like 1
Posted

 

 

 

Yep. I stopped reading after about a page because I was surprised this is even a discussion. 

 

The BU asked for help and the PU gave him what he had. Nothing wrong with it at all. If the BU comes to the PU four times in this same game, a season you will know you have a real problem on your hands. 

 

One minor correction. ;)  (And, I'm being generous on this -- after the first year, it shouldn't be 4 times in a career from A, and fewer than 10 times in a career from B or C.

Posted

I love reading debates on this topic, its fun kind of, one guy i work with alot(great umpire) and i have a sign we use when we know a coach won't can it until one of use gets help but we are 100% on our call, it basically means "just uphold my call, im doing this to make him be quite" its something that works well for us,

Posted

I love reading debates on this topic, its fun kind of, one guy i work with alot(great umpire) and i have a sign we use when we know a coach won't can it until one of use gets help but we are 100% on our call, it basically means "just uphold my call, im doing this to make him be quite" its something that works well for us,

 

Don't go for help if you don't want it. That's an integrity issue. If you have the call, own it.

Posted

 

I love reading debates on this topic, its fun kind of, one guy i work with alot(great umpire) and i have a sign we use when we know a coach won't can it until one of use gets help but we are 100% on our call, it basically means "just uphold my call, im doing this to make him be quite" its something that works well for us,

 

Don't go for help if you don't want need it. That's an integrity issue. If you have the call, own it.

 

I quibble with one word above, but completely agree with Matt's point. Many untrained umpires will take the path of least resistance and go talk to his partner and pretend that they are discussing the play when they are just appeasing the coach. If you keep appeasing coaches in this manner, they will never stop "fishing" for a call that benefits them (and they'll expect me to appease them too).

 

If you need help on a pulled foot, swipe tag, etc. don't be too proud to ask your partner for help. But if you have your call, consider breaking this appeasement habit, and say, "no, coach. I saw what happened, this in my call". Yes, quiet is not what you'll get in the short term, but eventually you'll get fewer and fewer of these fishing expeditions.

Posted

 

 

I love reading debates on this topic, its fun kind of, one guy i work with alot(great umpire) and i have a sign we use when we know a coach won't can it until one of use gets help but we are 100% on our call, it basically means "just uphold my call, im doing this to make him be quite" its something that works well for us,

 

Don't go for help if you don't want need it. That's an integrity issue. If you have the call, own it.

 

I took a minor liberty with one word above, but completely agree with Matt's point. Many untrained umpires will take the path of least resistance and go talk to his partner and pretend that they are discussing the play when they are just appeasing the coach. If you keep appeasing coaches in this manner, they will never stop "fishing" for a call that benefits them (and they'll expect me to appease them too).

 

If you need help on a pulled foot, swipe tag, etc. don't be too proud to ask your partner for help. But if you have your call, consider breaking this appeasement habit, and say, "no, coach. I saw what happened, this in my call". Yes, quiet is not what you'll get in the short term, but eventually you'll get fewer and fewer of these fishing expeditions.

 

 

While I'm not in complete agreement on never appeasing a coach a point that I think deserves mentioning is that you can find a middle ground.  If the coach asks if you can get help and you just say "no" with no explanation or even "no I saw it and it's my call".  It can come across as arrogant.  Whereas if the coach is polite about it and you give him an explanation such as "I saw the call clearly so there is nothing my partner, who is much further away is going to offer to me.  If I thought I might have missed something or was unsure I would be glad to get assistance, but on this one I'm certain and there is no way I would change my call".  I know it's a little wordy, but it would still take less time than meeting with your partner.

Posted

 

 

 

I love reading debates on this topic, its fun kind of, one guy i work with alot(great umpire) and i have a sign we use when we know a coach won't can it until one of use gets help but we are 100% on our call, it basically means "just uphold my call, im doing this to make him be quite" its something that works well for us,

 

Don't go for help if you don't want need it. That's an integrity issue. If you have the call, own it.

 

I took a minor liberty with one word above, but completely agree with Matt's point. Many untrained umpires will take the path of least resistance and go talk to his partner and pretend that they are discussing the play when they are just appeasing the coach. If you keep appeasing coaches in this manner, they will never stop "fishing" for a call that benefits them (and they'll expect me to appease them too).

 

If you need help on a pulled foot, swipe tag, etc. don't be too proud to ask your partner for help. But if you have your call, consider breaking this appeasement habit, and say, "no, coach. I saw what happened, this in my call". Yes, quiet is not what you'll get in the short term, but eventually you'll get fewer and fewer of these fishing expeditions.

 

While I'm not in complete agreement on never appeasing a coach a point that I think deserves mentioning is that you can find a middle ground.  If the coach asks if you can get help and you just say "no" with no explanation or even "no I saw it and it's my call".  It can come across as arrogant.  Whereas if the coach is polite about it and you give him an explanation such as "I saw the call clearly so there is nothing my partner, who is much further away is going to offer to me.  If I thought I might have missed something or was unsure I would be glad to get assistance, but on this one I'm certain and there is no way I would change my call".  I know it's a little wordy, but it would still take less time than meeting with your partner.

 

I have used this same explanation when brevity wasn't sufficient. But I reject your notion that you've introduced some middle ground or that appeasing a coach with a false umpire pow-wow is ever the right thing to do.

Posted

 

 

 

I love reading debates on this topic, its fun kind of, one guy i work with alot(great umpire) and i have a sign we use when we know a coach won't can it until one of use gets help but we are 100% on our call, it basically means "just uphold my call, im doing this to make him be quite" its something that works well for us,

 

Don't go for help if you don't want need it. That's an integrity issue. If you have the call, own it.

 

I took a minor liberty with one word above, but completely agree with Matt's point. Many untrained umpires will take the path of least resistance and go talk to his partner and pretend that they are discussing the play when they are just appeasing the coach. If you keep appeasing coaches in this manner, they will never stop "fishing" for a call that benefits them (and they'll expect me to appease them too).

 

If you need help on a pulled foot, swipe tag, etc. don't be too proud to ask your partner for help. But if you have your call, consider breaking this appeasement habit, and say, "no, coach. I saw what happened, this in my call". Yes, quiet is not what you'll get in the short term, but eventually you'll get fewer and fewer of these fishing expeditions.

 

 

While I'm not in complete agreement on never appeasing a coach a point that I think deserves mentioning is that you can find a middle ground.  If the coach asks if you can get help and you just say "no" with no explanation or even "no I saw it and it's my call".  It can come across as arrogant.  Whereas if the coach is polite about it and you give him an explanation such as "I saw the call clearly so there is nothing my partner, who is much further away is going to offer to me.  If I thought I might have missed something or was unsure I would be glad to get assistance, but on this one I'm certain and there is no way I would change my call".  I know it's a little wordy, but it would still take less time than meeting with your partner.

 

 

It takes much less time to say:

 

"No."

 

Actually, I had a coach ask earlier this week if "I could get help" and that was my response.  And the world kept spinning on its axis.

  • Like 1
Posted

 

 

It takes much less time to say:

 

"No."

 

Actually, I had a coach ask earlier this week if "I could get help" and that was my response.  And the world kept spinning on its axis.

 

LOL.

 

I had a game wher my partner (BU) made the same comment.  Then the coach started in on me.  My response: Knock it off.

 

Coach put away his fishing pole.

×
×
  • Create New...