Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4499 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I need some advice from the gearheads out here.  Recently, I was asked to help out a new league in the county that has only two volunteer umpires and both are brand new to umpiring.  At first, I told them they were better suited to get a trained UIC from the local association to help groom the new guys.  However, the league told me that sponsorship has been reduced and they couldn't afford to consistently pay the association rates or for multiple paid umpires throughout the season.  I don't need the money  so I made a gentleman's agreement with the league president that I would work games for the league pro bono as long as they properly equip the new umpires, get them training material, and try to get them to a camp in the fall.  For HS JV level players, what gear would you recommend so these guys can get geared up without breaking the bank?  I've bought the guys some nice ball bags, clickers, and lineup holders out of my own pocket but I need some good advice to pass forward to the league president.

 

As far as working on the field with the new guys, I can handle myself fine on the field but I really don't have any experience or training as far as helping the other new umpires out.  I direct them to resources but aside from backing them up and giving them encouragement, I'm a little out of my league here.  However, I'm only where I'm at due to the mentorship I've had both locally and on here so I really want to do a good job.  Any advice on that also?  Thanks!

  • Like 1
Posted

All-Star FM25 masks via Academy Sports ... I believe you can still get them for $25

 

Champion hard shell CP's .... typically get them for $45-ish on Ebay?

Posted

I think those are fine choices; just a word of caution. When I worked years ago with youth league newbies, you have you make sure they work the slot properly with the inside protectors, otherwise they stand in the worst places/heights and become ball magnets, and then they either figure it out or stop umpiring. Guys who worked with me felt that the "raft" was the best way to start; good protection no matter how you stood except of course, sideways. I got assigned the kids who insisted on inside protectors.

Posted

I think those are fine choices; just a word of caution. When I worked years ago with youth league newbies, you have you make sure they work the slot properly with the inside protectors, otherwise they stand in the worst places/heights and become ball magnets, and then they either figure it out or stop umpiring. Guys who worked with me felt that the "raft" was the best way to start; good protection no matter how you stood except of course, sideways. I got assigned the kids who insisted on inside protectors.

The bubble works in rec ball but I hate it only considered it in the hottest of games love my P200
Posted

I've been worried about them not wearing cups.  I keep asking them, "Do you have a cup?" I tell them even if they do, get a quality cup "Shock Doctor, Nutty Buddy, The new blue diamond MMA one...etc."  So go figure, last Saturday, one of the guys gets one-hopped while I'm in C.  It happened in slow motion for me watching him getting hit in the junk (no cup on).  Like you said, they either learn or stop umpiring.

Posted

I've been worried about them not wearing cups. I keep asking them, "Do you have a cup?" I tell them even if they do, get a quality cup "Shock Doctor, Nutty Buddy, The new blue diamond MMA one...etc." So go figure, last Saturday, one of the guys gets one-hopped while I'm in C. It happened in slow motion for me watching him getting hit in the junk (no cup on). Like you said, they either learn or stop umpiring.

Maybe he had planned a vasectomy later but wanted to cut the docter costs out of the equations
  • Like 1
Posted

I need some advice from the gearheads out here.  Recently, I was asked to help out a new league in the county that has only two volunteer umpires and both are brand new to umpiring.  At first, I told them they were better suited to get a trained UIC from the local association to help groom the new guys.  However, the league told me that sponsorship has been reduced and they couldn't afford to consistently pay the association rates or for multiple paid umpires throughout the season.  I don't need the money  so I made a gentleman's agreement with the league president that I would work games for the league pro bono as long as they properly equip the new umpires, get them training material, and try to get them to a camp in the fall.  For HS JV level players, what gear would you recommend so these guys can get geared up without breaking the bank?  I've bought the guys some nice ball bags, clickers, and lineup holders out of my own pocket but I need some good advice to pass forward to the league president.

 

As far as working on the field with the new guys, I can handle myself fine on the field but I really don't have any experience or training as far as helping the other new umpires out.  I direct them to resources but aside from backing them up and giving them encouragement, I'm a little out of my league here.  However, I'm only where I'm at due to the mentorship I've had both locally and on here so I really want to do a good job.  Any advice on that also?  Thanks!

Tell me you're a bubblehead and I will give you very good advice.

Posted

The Champion Hard Shell is $60 @ ump-attire.  its says 69.95 but goes to 59.95 when I put it in the cart :)

Posted

The Champion Hard Shell is $60 @ ump-attire. its says 69.95 but goes to 59.95 when I put it in the cart :)

You buy it you will love it, it has a "minor" draw back though, if you don't thighten it enough you look like you have a shoulder growth
Posted

A. A clicker is a novelty noisemaker. We use indicators. Start them off with correct terminology.

2. REQUIRE them to join this site. Utilize this free resource to the fullest.

C. First thing they need is a rule book. And they need tk read it.

IV. Have Q&A sessions. Make them feel easy talking to you

5. Throrogh pre/post game. Cover any and everything.

P.S. Tell em not to suck

The Champion Hard Shell is $60 @ ump-attire. its says 69.95 but goes to 59.95 when I put it in the cart :)

You buy it you will love it, it has a "minor" draw back though, if you don't thighten it enough you look like you have a shoulder growthmy fix was to loosen mine.
Posted

A. A clicker is a novelty noisemaker. We use indicators. Start them off with correct terminology.

2. REQUIRE them to join this site. Utilize this free resource to the fullest.

C. First thing they need is a rule book. And they need tk read it.

IV. Have Q&A sessions. Make them feel easy talking to you

5. Throrogh pre/post game. Cover any and everything.

P.S. Tell em not to suck

The Champion Hard Shell is $60 @ ump-attire. its says 69.95 but goes to 59.95 when I put it in the cart :)

You buy it you will love it, it has a "minor" draw back though, if you don't thighten it enough you look like you have a shoulder growthmy fix was to loosen mine.Mine pulled up, my "rolls" pushed it up so I had to tighten it, either way if your looking for affordable durable gear go with that cp and a rawlings mask they are cheap in price but great quality rolled into one by sweat shop laborers
Posted

 

I need some advice from the gearheads out here.  Recently, I was asked to help out a new league in the county that has only two volunteer umpires and both are brand new to umpiring.  At first, I told them they were better suited to get a trained UIC from the local association to help groom the new guys.  However, the league told me that sponsorship has been reduced and they couldn't afford to consistently pay the association rates or for multiple paid umpires throughout the season.  I don't need the money  so I made a gentleman's agreement with the league president that I would work games for the league pro bono as long as they properly equip the new umpires, get them training material, and try to get them to a camp in the fall.  For HS JV level players, what gear would you recommend so these guys can get geared up without breaking the bank?  I've bought the guys some nice ball bags, clickers, and lineup holders out of my own pocket but I need some good advice to pass forward to the league president.

 

As far as working on the field with the new guys, I can handle myself fine on the field but I really don't have any experience or training as far as helping the other new umpires out.  I direct them to resources but aside from backing them up and giving them encouragement, I'm a little out of my league here.  However, I'm only where I'm at due to the mentorship I've had both locally and on here so I really want to do a good job.  Any advice on that also?  Thanks!

Tell me you're a bubblehead and I will give you very good advice.

 

I was an MM2(SS) in a prior life on the USS Louisville SSN-724. Got my fish underway in the Sea of Tsushima while on WestPac.

  • Like 1
Posted

The Champion Hard Shell is $60 @ ump-attire.  its says 69.95 but goes to 59.95 when I put it in the cart :)

 

This was a human error in transitioning to the new site. The price was wrong, and I apologize for that. It should have actually been 54.99 (not 69.95) with an additional $2.50 for the 15 inch and an additional $5 for the 17 inch. It is now corrected.

 

Thanks for pointing that out.

Posted

 

The Champion Hard Shell is $60 @ ump-attire.  its says 69.95 but goes to 59.95 when I put it in the cart :)

 

This was a human error in transitioning to the new site. The price was wrong, and I apologize for that. It should have actually been 54.99 (not 69.95) with an additional $2.50 for the 15 inch and an additional $5 for the 17 inch. It is now corrected.

 

Thanks for pointing that out.

 

An even better deal!!  :)

Posted

 

 

The Champion Hard Shell is $60 @ ump-attire.  its says 69.95 but goes to 59.95 when I put it in the cart :)

 

This was a human error in transitioning to the new site. The price was wrong, and I apologize for that. It should have actually been 54.99 (not 69.95) with an additional $2.50 for the 15 inch and an additional $5 for the 17 inch. It is now corrected.

 

Thanks for pointing that out.

 

An even better deal!!  :)

 

 

Things work out when you stay positive.  :D

  • Like 1
Posted

Best "consistent" deals I have found...

Hats: Make sure they have hats and are using them. Epic Sports has tremendous deals on all manners of umpire hats. If you're buying to stock the arsenal, get the flex-fit or snap-back ones in a 2" bill. Bulk pricing available.

Masks: @Thunderheads has the same advice... All-Star FM25's. There's also the Wilson Dynalite ( http://www.betterbaseball.com/catcher-s-gear/wilson-dyna-lite-synthetic-facemask.html ) and the Easton Speed Elite ( http://www.baseballplusstore.com/easton-a165098-speed-elite-traditional-adult-catchers-mask.html ). I myself favor the Easton Speed Elite because it's lightweight, yet has a pretty substantial edifice, especially on the ear guards. This makes it more forgiving for those learning head positioning.

CPs: I have to echo the guys here, the Champion hard-shells are a great value. Another possibility might be the All-Star CPU23R ( http://www.baseballplusstore.com/all-star-cpu23r-lightweight-inside-protector.html ). Perhaps also the Champro CP13/14 ( http://www.homerunmonkey.com/equipment/homerun-umpire-equipment/homerun-umpire-chest-protectors/homerun-champro-umpire-equipment-cp13-cp135-cp14-pro-plus-chest-protector.html ), or the Champro CP8 Airtech ( http://www.homerunmonkey.com/equipment/homerun-umpire-equipment/homerun-umpire-chest-protectors/homerun-champro-umpire-equipment-cp8-airtech-inside-chest-protector.html ). My only concern with the CP8 is the lack of a hard chest plate. I wouldn't want a heart-stopper to hit a guy off a Varsity / JV bat. All these units have molded, hard shoulder guards, which are vital at the upper pitch velocities.

In any case, perhaps you can get one or two, and have the guys share. Teach them proper gear maintenance protocol because more than 1 person is relying upon this gear.

Shirts: For low-cost value on "the real McCoy", I swear by West Coast Umpire Apparel (WCUA). Find their e-store on eBay, and you've got real umpire shirts in Black, Grey, Classic Polo Blue w/ black collar, Cream, and Pink, all for $22 each (with free shipping!). Catch a trend here? Yup, they're all black-trimmed shirts, not the goofy softball-esque colors like Powder (with Navy trim), Softball Powder (with Red trim), or Navy (I had to get that jab in there).

Pants: In lieu of actual umpire pants, I suppose any slacks would work. If you're going to cut a corner on the attire, this is probably your only real place to do it with probational "trainee" umpires. I've even been tolerant of black or dark-grey track pants (no embellishment) for "tournament umpires" (baseball teenagers our league has ad-hoc hired to be umpires during massive tournaments). I realize that California gets hot, but please try not to allow shorts – it just doesn't look appropriate.

Personal Protector: Enforce it, crucially for PU.

Shinguards: I would hit up a Play-It-Again-Sports (or similar discount, recycled sporting goods store), and focus on "basic" catcher leg-guards or, better yet, _hockey_ ones. If your "trainee" umpires don't have plate shoes yet, you might want to consider getting baseball leg-guards with ankle guards and foot caps. Low-profile, simple leg-guards such as the All-Star LGU313-17's that I wear, or hockey shin guards are less hassle to put on and wear and usually fit under just about any pants.

Shoes: Implement dark-colored (black, preferable) footwear, appropriate to being athletically involved in the game. I was quite smitty my first year of umpiring because I wore my white turf-trainers, as I did for playing baseball and football. I stuck out as the ultimate greenhorn, and looking back on it, I _now_ know why several coaches gave me some really odd look-overs.

Lastly, there is something that I've been working with new umpires in our league to very good success, and it doesn't involve buying a single piece of gear. If they are partnered up with a more experienced umpire for a scrimmage, mock-game, or game itself, encourage them to put the indicator away and use their fingers. Left hand for balls, right hand for strikes... Press the thumb to the appropriate finger for the count. They'll (should) report they feel more engaged in the game, since they'll be more attentive to what's going on and picking up the cues from their partner(s) instead of relying on their indicators.

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...