ejection

Guest jose lopez
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3675 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest jose lopez

can a first base coach be ejected for talking to runner at first base? can an umpire yell into the stands and tell a parent that he cannot tell a player what to for instance. "watch for the double move."

18 answers to this question

Guest Guest

well it happened in a tournament game in houston, texas with the umpire ejecting the first base coach with only 10 minutes left in the game and yelling into the crowd.

Ejecting the coach for talking to his own player makes no sense unless the conversation was a backdoor way to have an argument with the umpire.

On the parent piece, I will say that I have seen some non-baseball leagues around here that have adopted "no coaching from the stands" rules -- and the officials do try to shut it down at times. I suppose it is possible that there's some local rule along those lines that he might have been trying to enforce, but still not a good idea to be hollering into the stands.

Ejecting the coach for talking to his own player makes no sense unless the conversation was a backdoor way to have an argument with the umpire.

thats what i meant in my first answer

I'd like to know what the coach actually said. If it were something like instructing the player to barrel into the infielder and break up the DP, I might issue a warning first, depending on the circumstances, tone, exact language, level of play, etc. There's an element of HTBT, in my mind, what lawyers call "the totality of the circumstances."

On the parent piece, I will say that I have seen some non-baseball leagues around here that have adopted "no coaching from the stands" rules -- and the officials do try to shut it down at times. I suppose it is possible that there's some local rule along those lines that he might have been trying to enforce, but still not a good idea to be hollering into the stands.

So what do mean by "non-basebal leagues"? Other sports? "No coaching from the stands rule?"....And the officials are to enforce it? wow... If Mommy says "C'mon Pete, follow through on that jump shot""..is that coaching from the stands? There's a local rule that might might have me saying "thanks, but no thanks" to my assignor. 

Im thinking that the OP is only a very small/one-sided portion of what ACTUALLY happened. I will ALWAYS err on the side of defending a fellow umpire. Sorry, but since your question makes no sense to me, I will refrain from trying to interpolate the real scenario based on the information given. Not saying you're not being 100% honest, just that your view is biased and what really happened is probably vastly different from what you perceive (or have been told) happened.

• Like 5

"Watch for the Double Move!" may in fact sound like the parent is yelling that to the umpire, maybe not, but that could be why he addressed the fan.

Ejecting a first base coach for talking with his player - I doubt seriously that that is the whole story.  I find it difficult to believe an umpire ejected a base coach for ONLY that.  I could be wrong...

So what do mean by "non-basebal leagues"? Other sports? "No coaching from the stands rule?"....And the officials are to enforce it? wow... If Mommy says "C'mon Pete, follow through on that jump shot""..is that coaching from the stands? There's a local rule that might might have me saying "thanks, but no thanks" to my assignor. 

Yeah, I meant other sports. Not sure why I wrote it the way I did. Anyway, I have seen it a number of times in youth soccer where the officials said something to parents. I also know the rule exists in a local basketball league, but never saw an official enforce it. 

I agree this is something I wouldn't want to enforce, just sharing that some folks seem to think it's a good idea for some reason. No idea whether it is designed to relieve pressure from Little Johnny or what. A few years ago I did see a U10 soccer tournament game where one team had parents strategically positioned along the sideline to serve as an extra set of eyes for the players to help them with positioning. It was absurd, but I don't want officials dealing with that.

Yeah, I meant other sports. Not sure why I wrote it the way I did. Anyway, I have seen it a number of times in youth soccer where the officials said something to parents. I also know the rule exists in a local basketball league, but never saw an official enforce it. 

I agree this is something I wouldn't want to enforce, just sharing that some folks seem to think it's a good idea for some reason. No idea whether it is designed to relieve pressure from Little Johnny or what. A few years ago I did see a U10 soccer tournament game where one team had parents strategically positioned along the sideline to serve as an extra set of eyes for the players to help them with positioning. It was absurd, but I don't want officials dealing with that.

In theory, I like the idea that it takes some pressure off little Johnny because Mom and/or Dad aren't yelling out instructions the whole time while the kid's trying to hit/shoot or whatever. However, the actual enforcement is another story.  You're soccer story with parents helping with positioning is a perfect example of why someone thought this rule was necessary. Bottom line though..having a coach coordinate parents for such a thing is just another sad commentary on youth sports in general. Which reminds me of the great saying "youth sports would be great if it were played by orphans" 

• Like 1

I referee a youth basketball league that has in its code of conduct a statement that parents should not coach from the stands, as that may conflict with the instructions given by the coach. But it doesn't say the official should enforce the rule, and I've never seen any reason to get involved in that issue. That's for the coach and parents to resolve between themselves.

I did watch a HS girls varsity basketball game where one kid, a D1 signee, spent more time looking to her dad for instructions than to her coach. I remember thinking I would be teed off if I were that coach.

This OP really sounds like he is just trying to get the answer he wants so that he can run home and say "THIS GUY IS A BAD UMPIRE, LOOK THESE UMPIRES AGREE!"

I mean, common sense answers the questions. Would anyone expect us to say "Yeah, 1st base coaches aren't allowed to talk to their players. It's rule X.XX"?? Or that it's common accepted practice for umpires to yell into the crowd?

I hope I'm wrong, and I apologize if I am, but I won't say anything about the situation until I know the WHOLE situation.

• Like 3

A local LL baseball tournament believed that LL rules prohibited parents from talking to players on the field.  "Back up Johnny, he's the clean up hitter!" or some such was considered valid reason to eject the parent from the park,  (That, of course, is not actually the LL rule.)