Higher stakes, more tolerance?

afaber12
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3657 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I give the no ej to the mgr. He materialized INSTANTLY and got the focus off of his players and onto himself. JB made a great call. F9 made a near perfect throw. F2 made a great tag. But R3 made the EXACT slide he needed to make. JB could have EJd the whole battery. And been absolutely correct in doing so. But had the mgr not been so quick, ther would most likely have been at least one ej.

Great vid.

• Like 3

I think precedent has been set that EJ tolerance increases w/ stakes.  There are situations that are still automatic though.

I tossed HT's cleanup hitter in the 1st inning of a state tournament game for MC. Absolutely automatic. Gave HC more leash than I normally would; he stayed. I still think I probably shouldn't have changed my ways.

• Like 1

I think precedent has been set that EJ tolerance increases w/ stakes. There are situations that are still automatic though.

I tossed HT's cleanup hitter in the 1st inning of a state tournament game for MC. Absolutely automatic. Gave HC more leash than I normally would; he stayed. I still think I probably shouldn't have changed my ways.

MC is a safety concern so there should NOT be any extra rope on something like that, no matter what the stakes.

Most other cases I recognize that they are fueled by emotions and they may get a little more slack. They may be trying to fire their team up etc. All part of the game.

To a point.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I think precedent has been set that EJ tolerance increases w/ stakes. There are situations that are still automatic though.

MC is a safety concern so there should NOT be any extra rope on something like that, no matter what the stakes.

Most other cases I recognize that they are fueled by emotions and they may get a little more slack. They may be trying to fire their team up etc. All part of the game.

To a point.

These kinds of comments are EXTREMELY contradictory.

Extra rope is extra rope and should apply to all situations equally, IF you're going to give it.

• Like 1

To a point.

These kinds of comments are EXTREMELY contradictory.

Extra rope is extra rope and should apply to all situations equally, IF you're going to give it. No they're not. Malicious contact is a safety rule. It's automatic. Don't call it and risk going back to working coach pitch.

Emotions run high in post season play. There's nothing wrong with being preventive, warning instead of ejecting, etc. over judgment calls.

A player overreacts, I'll tell a coach to get him (or them) under control. Big plays in big games will fuel emotion. If you can't recognize that, maybe you aren't ready to work at that level yet. And that comment is in general and not directed at anyone personally.

• Like 3

MidAMUmp said on 20 Mar 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:Emotions run high in post season play. There's nothing wrong with being preventive, warning instead of ejecting, etc. over judgment calls.

A player overreacts, I'll tell a coach to get him (or them) under control. Big plays in big games will fuel emotion. If you can't recognize that, maybe you aren't ready to work at that level yet. And that comment is in general and not directed at anyone personally."

A player overreacts, I'll tell a coach to get him (or them) under control. Big plays in big games will fuel emotion. If you can't recognize that, maybe you aren't ready to work at that level yet. And that comment is in general and not directed at anyone personally.

Why does postseason matter?  How do we know a regular seaaon game is not as important at that time to a certian player involved.  Maybe he is playinghis cousin, best friend or former team.  If you give slack in post season you should in the regular season and vice versa.  Why do people feel extra slack needs to be given?  I EJ the same no matter what part of the season we are in.  In truth it is very little.  IMO you earn your EJ with me and I can carless if it is Game 1 or Championship game.

Why does postseason matter? Because the topic is about postseason. That's why postseason matters.

I probably don't really umpire any differently I the postseason than I do during the regular season. But sometimes my tolerance for BS is less on a cold Tuesday night with 2 lousy teams.

Why does postseason matter?

It matters because precedent has been set by umpires who are way better than us and have worked bigger games than us.

EJ for the obvious and the required.

Otherwise, try to keep the participants in the game. Don't try to be the smartest person in the room.

A good friend of mine EJ'd a guy in a HUGE championship tournament game last year.

The guy slammed his helmet into the ground along with a few choice words in protest of a swipe tag at first base. Automatic, easy EJ.

If you have rule support to EJ and you think you should EJ, go for it.

There's a reason Burleson is now a regional coordinator. Did he have rule support to run the entire battery…sure he did. Has the precedent been set by championship umpires before him? Yes. Obviously the NCAA thinks he's good enough to work in Omaha and then bring him on as a regional umpire coordinator…it seems to me that more of us should attempt to be more like Joe than not like Joe.

Your mileage may vary.

Do we call the regular season games differently than the high stakes, pressure cooker tournament games? In my case, I don't think so. I do know that my focus goes up a notch, I understand the consequences of a mistake, and really strive to be perfect. The major difference is that because nerves are on edge, and there is tons of pressure on the players and coaches, we tend to be more preventative and try to diffuse situations. We say that the difference between an above average umpire and an excellent umpire is how they manage the game and the people in it, and that is probably why we see fewer altercations and blow ups in big games.

• Like 3

Do we call the regular season games differently than the high stakes, pressure cooker tournament games? In my case, I don't think so. I do know that my focus goes up a notch, I understand the consequences of a mistake, and really strive to be perfect. The major difference is that because nerves are on edge, and there is tons of pressure on the players and coaches, we tend to be more preventative and try to diffuse situations. We say that the difference between an above average umpire and an excellent umpire is how they manage the game and the people in it, and that is probably why we see fewer altercations and blow ups in big games.

I think blue23ll hit it right on the head.  We do not "call" the game any differently, however we most likely take a different tack in "managing" the game.  I am not at the NCAA level, but I can definitely see where emotions will be higher when someone's livelihood may be on the line. 

I think blue23ll hit it right on the head.  We do not "call" the game any differently, however we most likely take a different tack in "managing" the game.  I am not at the NCAA level, but I can definitely see where emotions will be higher when someone's livelihood may be on the line. 

I think that @blue23ll Has been hit on the head 1 to many times. But I do agree with him. :shakehead:  On important games we tend to focus better and make less mistakes. Usually at these levels coaches do not argue stupid stuff.

Highly situational.  If you are going into a game thinking about how much more or less rope you are going to give, you are doomed IMO before you ever step on the field.

As others have said, focus on crisp mechanics and getting the calls right.  You have been selected for the important game because of your past performance (including game management), so don't try to make changes in your approach now.

I think that @blue23ll Has been hit on the head 1 to many times. But I do agree with him. :shakehead:  On important games we tend to focus better and make less mistakes. Usually at these levels coaches do not argue stupid stuff.

My head feels a lot better now that I have been using team wendy's...

Doesn't look any better! :smachhead:  :wave:

• Like 1

Doesn't look any better! :smachhead:  :wave:

Can't fix ugly

I hear this as an argument later in the year ("you can't XYZ in the playoffs!"). With certain exception (e.g., instant replay for NFHS basketball tournament finals, etc.) , the rules of the game do not change depending on time of year or phase of season in which an official game is played. We might need to employ heightened awareness and take into consideration several variables that may contribute to the intensity of player/coach behavior that might not be present at other times during the year, but at the end of the day, unsporting behavior is overt, generally intentional and subject to commiserate penalization, regardless of phase of season. For instance, severe unsporting conduct that results in ejection during Opening Week should generally result in a similar penalty during Conference Finals. A careless bat flip is one thing, a spiked helmet thrown at an umpire or hat thrown on the ground during a manager's argument (for instance) is quite another.

• Like 2

Here is where I would argue respectively.  Why don't you go into each game like it is the championship game?  I would think mentally you would treat a regular season game with the same importance.  We are there to do a job for the young men who play the game.  We have no clue what that particular game means to them.  I have said it before that each game could be that player's championship game.  We owe it to the players to go in with high focus for every game we are chosen to work at,

This job is not life or death to the level of a pilot or Dr. but that doesn't mean we shouldn't get excited for the privilege to work every game we do the same way.

Just something I was taught and truly believe we owe that to the players on the field.

Not to get off topic but do you only work better mechanics or hustle if you know you are being evaluated that game?

• Like 1

Here is where I would argue respectively.  Why don't you go into each game like it is the championship game?  I would think mentally you would treat a regular season game with the same importance.  We are there to do a job for the young men who play the game.  We have no clue what that particular game means to them.  I have said it before that each game could be that player's championship game.  We owe it to the players to go in with high focus for every game we are chosen to work at,

You are confusing "effort" with "approach."

You can't manage a high-pressure game the same as you do a low-pressure one. Pick your words: more competitive and less competitive, better skilled and lesser skilled, etc. All factor how you manage a game.

Let's use the illegal sub thread from a few days ago: http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/56389-i-allowed-an-illegal-player-last-night/ Perfectly valid way to handle it in that situation, factoring for competitiveness and skill. If he were to do that in a state tournament game, that may be the last one he'd ever work. 

As for effort, the lower the skill and competitiveness, generally the higher the effort demand, but it's steady. Highly competitive and skilled games have a generally lower effort demand, but can spike in a hurry.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Most new umpires are afraid to eject. It sounds like afaber is a new umpire who is ejecting when he needs to, and he certainly shouldn't be criticized for it.

That first sentence is so true, Im in year 3 have yet to heave anyone, I probably could have 5 or more times but I walk away, I think it would he easier now that I get a partner not a parent "volunteer"(conscript would be more accurate probably) so I know I have backup now, I think as you get settled in you lose that fear