I allowed an illegal player last night

mrumpiresir
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3695 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

It was a Fed JV game and I fixed it the best I could. I really goofed. 

VT has a DH for F1.  Along about the 5th inning, the coach tells me the DH is now pitching and F1 is going to F3 and will bat in the old F3 slot. The former F3 is now out of the game. I allowed it. The HT coach didn't say a word.

Now this would be legal under pro rules, and for some reason I mixed them up. But the whole time I have this feeling that something is not right.  So with a 2 and 1 count, I realize no way can the former DH and the defensive player for whom he is batting cannot be on defense at the same time.  I call time and both coaches and my partner have a long but amiable discussion.  I decided the only thing to do was put the original F3 back in and the original F1 would be out of the game.  I did tell the coach he could reenter.

Guess I'm just getting old and confused.  But it's better than the alternative.

Would you have done differently?

It was a Fed JV game and I fixed it the best I could. I really goofed. 

VT has a DH for F1.  Along about the 5th inning, the coach tells me the DH is now pitching and F1 is going to F3 and will bat in the old F3 slot. The former F3 is now out of the game. I allowed it. The HT coach didn't say a word.

Now this would be legal under pro rules, and for some reason I mixed them up. But the whole time I have this feeling that something is not right.  So with a 2 and 1 count, I realize no way can the former DH and the defensive player for whom he is batting cannot be on defense at the same time.  I call time and both coaches and my partner have a long but amiable discussion.  I decided the only thing to do was put the original F3 back in and the original F1 would be out of the game.  I did tell the coach he could reenter.

Guess I'm just getting old and confused.  But it's better than the alternative.

Would you have done differently?

In a JV game, I would have done what you have done.

By rule, the illegal sub (which would be F1) would be out (if on offense) and restricted to the dugout. F3 could come back in the proper spot if he had reentry privileges,  and if he doesn't have them, he's done for the game.

Just because you allowed it doesn't make it legal. I say this to contrast it with a situation in which the coach asks you if it is legal, and you say yes. Then you have 10-2-3l to help you.