Hall of Fame

rjt6
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3764 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I still contend Maddux was an absolute control freak and if they weren't calling the wide strike in his time, he would have moved that pitch just enough in to get the call. Maddux had movement and PINPOINT control. Glavin, on the other hand, just worked that outside corner and if he didn't get those 6" he would have been barely average.    here's a stat I found today that sums up just how good Maddux was....   Out of 20,421 batters faced, only 133 were 3-0 counts. Just 0.0065%   Try and digest that one for a while. Simply amazing. 
A stat like this can only be impressive in the context of his peers. I'm not saying it's not true or worthy of praise, just that this could be normal. For example, if someone says an umpire gets 90% of his calls right, to the uninitiated, that is impressive. We know better. Larry Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I still contend Maddux was an absolute control freak and if they weren't calling the wide strike in his time, he would have moved that pitch just enough in to get the call. Maddux had movement and PINPOINT control. Glavin, on the other hand, just worked that outside corner and if he didn't get those 6" he would have been barely average. 

here's a stat I found today that sums up just how good Maddux was....

Out of 20,421 batters faced, only 133 were 3-0 counts. Just 0.0065%

Try and digest that one for a while. Simply amazing. 

I agree with this. Glavine's fastball was straight, and the deuce was hittable. If he doesn't get the "outside corner," he's just average.

Maddux, man, everything danced. He never threw hard, but good pitching is about keeping hitters off balance. I've never seen anyone unbalance hitters better than Maddux.

Here's a sample. Some HOF hitters in that Yankee lineup, amazing how many bad swings and come-backers he threw.

Trivia question: between 1995 and 1999 (5 seasons) only 2 MLB pitchers had 15+ wins each year. One was Maddux. Name the other.

• Like 1

I still contend Maddux was an absolute control freak and if they weren't calling the wide strike in his time, he would have moved that pitch just enough in to get the call. Maddux had movement and PINPOINT control. Glavin, on the other hand, just worked that outside corner and if he didn't get those 6" he would have been barely average.    here's a stat I found today that sums up just how good Maddux was....   Out of 20,421 batters faced, only 133 were 3-0 counts. Just 0.0065%   Try and digest that one for a while. Simply amazing. 
A stat like this can only be impressive in the context of his peers. I'm not saying it's not true or worthy of praise, just that this could be normal. For example, if someone says an umpire gets 90% of his calls right, to the uninitiated, that is impressive. We know better. Larry Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I am at 72% and working my way up every year! :wow:

• Like 1

Here's some comps. 1st, Maddux numbers are a little off. It's 159 3-0 counts for a .77%

Glavin                   18604 PA 324 3-0 counts 1.74%

Pedro Martinez     11394      147                    1.29%

Kershaw                4740        74                       1.56%

King Felix               7513         98                      1.30%

Cliff Lee                  8565        87                      1.02%

Even against the creme of the crop his % is significant.

The number not surprisingly corresponds  pretty directly to BB/9. 

• Like 2

Here's some comps. 1st, Maddux numbers are a little off. It's 159 3-0 counts for a .77%

Glavin                   18604 PA 324 3-0 counts 1.74%

Pedro Martinez     11394      147                    1.29%

Kershaw                4740        74                       1.56%

King Felix               7513         98                      1.30%

Cliff Lee                  8565        87                      1.02%

Even against the creme of the crop his % is significant.

The number not surprisingly corresponds  pretty directly to BB/9. 

I am now properly impressed :notworthy:

• Like 1

I still contend Maddux was an absolute control freak and if they weren't calling the wide strike in his time, he would have moved that pitch just enough in to get the call. Maddux had movement and PINPOINT control. Glavin, on the other hand, just worked that outside corner and if he didn't get those 6" he would have been barely average. 

And of those, how many were intentional walks?

And of those, how many were intentional walks?

I took out the IBB. Got to think some were "unintentional intentional" walks.