Did I rule correctly on this?

ump570
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3960 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I was working tournament today. F1 throws pitch which is ball 4 and rolls into dead ball territory in a hole in the fence under backstop. I awarded the runner second base since he was already entitled to first because of the walk. Was I correct?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A pitch (or any throw from the rubber) out of play is 1 base TOP. OBR 7.05i If the batter becomes a runner on a wild pitch which entitles the runners to advance one base, the batter-runner shall be entitled to first base only.

So I was wrong?

I was working tournament today. F1 throws pitch which is ball 4 and rolls into dead ball territory in a hole in the fence under backstop. I awarded the runner second base since he was already entitled to first because of the walk. Was I correct?

I should have specified. I awarded BR second.

Call the coach of the kid you gave 2 bases to, tell him to give one back or you will charge him a late fee.... or send him an invoce for the gift he receieved :wave::2cents::agasp_::D:eek::BD:

I'm not trying to pile on here (really) but Im curious as to how you arrived at this conclusion.  You've been told its incorrect but Im more interested in how things like this get started or what the thought process is on it.

I mean, I can see how the rule *might be* one-plus-one but given that you didn't know either way, what lead you to believe it most likely was that instead of just first?

Well, I thought that since the runner was already entitled to first base by virtue of the pitch being ball 4, that the award was one base from the base he was already entitled to. I knew it was one base, but I overthought the rule and gave him second. Whoops. Won't happen again.

If it had not been ball 4, would you have awarded the batter 1st base too?

Wouldn't they be able to "bank" that base?  Then if he ended up walking he could just take second.  If he doubled then he would get third. :rock

Seriously I can see me doing this same thing a few years ago.  There are so many rules to remember that I often found myself applying rules at incorrect times.

If it had not been ball 4, would you have awarded the batter 1st base too?

Of course not. But in my mind there seemed to be a distinction. My mistake.