look for face mask

bryan59
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3879 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey there -

I suppose I stand corrected - if Gerry Davis still has and sells the ice gray / silver Diamond mask cage - if they do, it is still $10.00 more than the Honigs.

I called Diamond in So. Cal. and they do not offer the silver mask cage alone at all - my suspicion is that once any that are available from retailers are gone - that will be the end of that.

You're not missing anything, @kylejt ... If I was in the market for another / my first mask, especially after reading all the feedback and insight about TW pads, I'd be a fool not to buy a rig in one of those four variations / combinations. Most of the guys I worked alongside at tournaments and CDP have been sporting the Diamond DFM-iX3, mostly in silver w/ black pads. But, they've been using those crap stock pads! In fact, I sold my black Diamond DFM-iX3 to a fellow umpire at CDP (he had brought a wretched Rawlings LWXM-LP), and what convinced him was the number of guys using it too (of course, I had MacGregor tan doeskins on it).

That leaves me with an Easton Speed Elite (silver w/ black) and an All-Star FM4000 (silver w/ tan TWs). I will more than likely get black TWs for the Easton in this offseason. That Honig's mask is really appealing though, because it features all the benefits the Diamond iX3 does: fairly long throat guard, extended crown guard, single-wire construction (better vision)... and, you can get it with TWs standard-equipped? No-brainer. TWs are only available from Ump Attire and Honig's, and I don't see Ump Attire offering a rig-up like this.

Two things could really drive sales... Honig's site could use a makeover, and the sale of this mask could benefit from "Informed Umpires" like ourselves promoting it to our colleagues before the old codgers that sit on training and orientation classes tell them what they should buy and from where (can we say nothing-but-Navy-shirts and soft CPs?).

You're not missing anything, @kylejt ... If I was in the market for another / my first mask, especially after reading all the feedback and insight about TW pads, I'd be a fool not to buy a rig in one of those four variations / combinations. Most of the guys I worked alongside at tournaments and CDP have been sporting the Diamond DFM-iX3, mostly in silver w/ black pads. But, they've been using those crap stock pads! In fact, I sold my black Diamond DFM-iX3 to a fellow umpire at CDP (he had brought a wretched Rawlings LWXM-LP), and what convinced him was the number of guys using it too (of course, I had MacGregor tan doeskins on it).

That leaves me with an Easton Speed Elite (silver w/ black) and an All-Star FM4000 (silver w/ tan TWs). I will more than likely get black TWs for the Easton in this offseason. That Honig's mask is really appealing though, because it features all the benefits the Diamond iX3 does: fairly long throat guard, extended crown guard, single-wire construction (better vision)... and, you can get it with TWs standard-equipped? No-brainer. TWs are only available from Ump Attire and Honig's, and I don't see Ump Attire offering a rig-up like this.

Two things could really drive sales... Honig's site could use a makeover, and the sale of this mask could benefit from "Informed Umpires" like ourselves promoting it to our colleagues before the old codgers that sit on training and orientation classes tell them what they should buy and from where (can we say nothing-but-Navy-shirts and soft CPs?).

I am wanting to purchase the Diamond DFM-iX3 but saw the offer Honigs has. I am wanting a silver frame since I have a black honigs mask. Is the silver frame from honigs the same mask look/texture as the Diamond? The picture on the Honigs website looks sketchy in silver. Anyone have a silver honigs frame?

I am wanting to purchase the Diamond DFM-iX3 but saw the offer Honigs has. I am wanting a silver frame since I have a black honigs mask. Is the silver frame from honigs the same mask look/texture as the Diamond? The picture on the Honigs website looks sketchy in silver. Anyone have a silver honigs frame?

I'm positive the Honig's is NOT like the Diamond, as the Diamond is aluminum, and the Honig's is hollow steel (like the black Diamond)

The Honigs Silver mask is NOT the Diamond mask cage (whereas the Gerry Davis "is" the Diamond).....

That said - one of my buddies uses the Honigs mask in Silver - it is "not" textured - like the Diamond cage - the Honigs is a smooth Silver color finish.

Kylejt - - I agree - the Honigs w/Team Wendys pads is probably the best-bargain, and is a great setup - dollar for dollar - as good as one can get for the money.

The umpires and the following for the Titanium and or Magnesium masks/rigs is gaining popularity - pair a Magnesium cage with Team Wendys pads, and it makes up the lightest setup with arguably the most shock absorbing/deflecting setup available.

So - this thread started off with a fella looking for a silver mask cage (he already purchased the Team Wendys pads) - and the discussion has offered the currently available options.

There are a couple "other" threads that discuss whos thinks which is better........

;o)

It's FRIDAY! Have a great weekend y'all!

Question on the easton speed elite...as durable as the Diamond? I saw one online and I can't find a website that states what its made out of. Mask looks sharp and with some black TW's it'll look sharp on the field.

post-2432-0-12577700-1376105911_thumb.jp

Or you can get this bogus "Wilson Titanium" http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILSON-TITANIUM-A3077BLTI-BASEBALL-SOFTBALL-UMPIRE-MASK-BRAND-NEW-/121156979682?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3584cbe2

The funny part is that there is 2 bidders fighting for it. Like the late Mel Allen said: "How about that"

When i saw it posted i saw the bars n knew it was a diamond.

Or you can get this bogus "Wilson Titanium" http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILSON-TITANIUM-A3077BLTI-BASEBALL-SOFTBALL-UMPIRE-MASK-BRAND-NEW-/121156979682?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3584cbe2

The funny part is that there is 2 bidders fighting for it. Like the late Mel Allen said: "How about that"

The really interesting thing is that this mask is "billed" or listed as a new mask, by Wilson item or model number, and comes with "store receipt" for warranty....

It would be really interesting to see what shows up to the winning bidders doorstep.....

Given what is pictured it would cost someone about $110.00 to knowingly buy that setup......

Question on the easton speed elite...as durable as the Diamond? I saw one online and I can't find a website that states what its made out of. Mask looks sharp and with some black TW's it'll look sharp on the field.

I am pretty sure the Easton Speed mask is a hollow-core steel cage (there are a couple guys that posted pics of them in this thread and that use them) - similar in build to the Nike, sporting the rounded throat guard area, and physically about the same (almost identical) as the +POS ZRO-G ($59.95).

Both the +POS ZRO-G and the Easton Speed have fabric pads and are priced almost identically - I would not be surprised at all if both came from the same manufacturer.

@Jglopez7 - magnetically confirmed, the Easton Speed Elite is hollow-tube steel, albeit very lightweight. Fabric pads with big standoff distance (eat that, Diamond) give you very good stock protection, but I'll still be getting TWs. Like h92064 said, it's got a look similar to the Nike with the rounded throat guard. What I _do_ like about it, is the whole design, including the ear guards, is nice and wide, without looking like a radar array or a wireless phone tower. There's times I'm reminded how narrow my FM4000 really is, and can hear the stitches on the ball whistling past my ear.

It too is showing the same dulling of the finish that many out-of-the-box silver masks do, so it will be going off to MaskIt.

Did you see they just posted a second picture that actually looks like the Wilson Titanium, but left the other picture up too... I don't know enough to be sure but it looks like it

Scam and a half 

Did you see they just posted a second picture that actually looks like the Wilson Titanium, but left the other picture up too... I don't know enough to be sure but it looks like it

Scam and a half

I messaged the seller n she stated she got the pic off google. That pic is on the ump review website of masks with different pads. She stated she was not trying to sell a false product n would post a new pic.

Scam and a half 

Scam and a half

I messaged the seller n she stated she got the pic off google. That pic is on the ump review website of masks with different pads. She stated she was not trying to sell a false product n would post a new pic.

This was her response to me: This is a stock pic from Google, I can promise you this is the real deal, we are a fully authorized Wilson dealer and have been for many years. I certainly would not jeopardize that to sell one umpire mask on EBay. I will take a pic of the one I actually have hanging on my shelf.

- nursemichelleblue

On Aug-15-13 at 05:10:11 PDT, seller added the following information: 

PLEASE DISREGARD THE LISTING PIC. I UTILIZED A STOCK PIC FROM GOOGLE IMAGES AND DIDN'T REALIZE THAT IT WAS A PIC OF THE WRONG MASK. THE SECOND PIC WITH THE PEGBOARD BACKGROUND IS OF THE ACTUAL MASK WHICH IS A TRUE WILSON TITANIUM MASK, NOT A FAKE! WE ONLY SELL AUTHENTIC MERCHANDISE AND WE ARE A FULLY AUTHORIZED WILSON DEALER. UNFORTUNATELY, IT WAS TOO LATE IN THE AUCTION BEFORE I REALIZED THIS ERROR AND EBAY WILL NOT LET ME TAKE THE WRONG PICTURE DOWN.