Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4892 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

From the AHSAA 2012-2013 Umpires Manual

Page 16, item 12

"Whenever a balk occurs, the umpire will point to the pitcher and call 'balk', then signal time, and award bases."

I don't think this wording is all inclusive. By literal interpretation, the umpire never gives a verbal "Time!"

Edit: the 1st sentence of item 12 states "When a balk occurs, the ball is dead immediately."

I thought since we were discussing NFHS, everyone knew that, but decided to add this for posterity.

 

 

 

Nice job of looking it up in the manual, Grasshopper....

Posted
From the AHSAA 2012-2013 Umpires Manual Page 16, item 12 "Whenever a balk occurs, the umpire will point to the pitcher and call 'balk', then signal time, and award bases." I don't think this wording is all inclusive. By literal interpretation, the umpire never gives a verbal "Time!" Edit: the 1st sentence of item 12 states "When a balk occurs, the ball is dead immediately." I thought since we were discussing NFHS, everyone knew that, but decided to add this for posterity. Nice job of looking it up in the manual, Grasshopper....
The book is wrong! In an immediate dead ball situation, the first word out if your mouth should be TIME (as a wise man said above).
  • Like 1
Posted

The book is wrong! In an immediate dead ball situation, the first word out if your mouth should be TIME (as a wise man said above).

I'm confused now. Is the book wrong, or is every H.S. umpire I've ever met mistaken?

Posted

I've been taught by our HS association to call Time first. I've never done it that way. Not because I don't want to. I just can't.

Posted
The book is wrong! In an immediate dead ball situation, the first word out if your mouth should be TIME (as a wise man said above). I'm confused now. Is the book wrong, or is every H.S. umpire I've ever met mistaken?
As someone noted a few days ago-y'all have WAAYY too much faith in the individuals that put out NFHS & state association books...
Posted

From the AHSAA 2012-2013 Umpires Manual

Page 16, item 12

"Whenever a balk occurs, the umpire will point to the pitcher and call 'balk', then signal time, and award bases."

I don't think this wording is all inclusive. By literal interpretation, the umpire never gives a verbal "Time!"

Edit: the 1st sentence of item 12 states "When a balk occurs, the ball is dead immediately."

I thought since we were discussing NFHS, everyone knew that, but decided to add this for posterity.

Nice job of looking it up in the manual, Grasshopper....

The book is wrong! In an immediate dead ball situation, the first word out if your mouth should be TIME (as a wise man said above).

 

I umpire college, high school, and many other levels.  In a HS game, it's "That's a balk! Time!" for me.  No chance I'm calling TIME first.

  • Like 2
Posted
From the AHSAA 2012-2013 Umpires Manual Page 16, item 12 "Whenever a balk occurs, the umpire will point to the pitcher and call 'balk', then signal time, and award bases." I don't think this wording is all inclusive. By literal interpretation, the umpire never gives a verbal "Time!" Edit: the 1st sentence of item 12 states "When a balk occurs, the ball is dead immediately." I thought since we were discussing NFHS, everyone knew that, but decided to add this for posterity. Nice job of looking it up in the manual, Grasshopper.... The book is wrong! In an immediate dead ball situation, the first word out if your mouth should be TIME (as a wise man said above). I umpire college, high school, and many other levels. In a HS game, it's "That's a balk! Time!" for me. No chance I'm calling TIME first.
That is wise-I do the same when I am working a game that goes by NFHS. Calling time is a bad habit to get into if you go back and forth between rulesets.
  • Like 1
Posted

 

From the AHSAA 2012-2013 Umpires Manual

Page 16, item 12

"Whenever a balk occurs, the umpire will point to the pitcher and call 'balk', then signal time, and award bases."

I don't think this wording is all inclusive. By literal interpretation, the umpire never gives a verbal "Time!"

Edit: the 1st sentence of item 12 states "When a balk occurs, the ball is dead immediately."

I thought since we were discussing NFHS, everyone knew that, but decided to add this for posterity.

Nice job of looking it up in the manual, Grasshopper....

The book is wrong! In an immediate dead ball situation, the first word out if your mouth should be TIME (as a wise man said above).

 

I umpire college, high school, and many other levels.  In a HS game, it's "That's a balk! Time!" for me.  No chance I'm calling TIME first.

 

 

Same here.  I can't risk doing that in any of my other games. 

Posted

I disagree. You do it the way your association and evaluators tell you to do it.

Posted

I umpire college, high school, and many other levels.  In a HS game, it's "That's a balk! Time!" for me.  No chance I'm calling TIME first.

 

Right because if you start to do it that way then youll start with Time sometime in a college or pro rules game and eff it up.

 

Its easy to go back and make the ball dead its harder to go forward on that.

 

And much of the discussion here on this topic fails to recpognize that different areas do it differently and put different emhasis on it.  So if its reallyimportant in your area (why it would be I dont know) then practice the "Time Thats a balk" call.  But if its not then most would agree that your better off with just "Balk' or "Thats a balk" .

Posted

From the AHSAA 2012-2013 Umpires Manual

Page 16, item 12

"Whenever a balk occurs, the umpire will point to the pitcher and call 'balk', then signal time, and award bases."

I don't think this wording is all inclusive. By literal interpretation, the umpire never gives a verbal "Time!"

Edit: the 1st sentence of item 12 states "When a balk occurs, the ball is dead immediately."

I thought since we were discussing NFHS, everyone knew that, but decided to add this for posterity.

Nice job of looking it up in the manual, Grasshopper....

The book is wrong! In an immediate dead ball situation, the first word out if your mouth should be TIME (as a wise man said above).

 

 

 In your opinion, it may well be. But let's face facts: this is the manual used in OUR STATE, and all HS umpires are expected to follow its guidelines. When an evaluation is being given, they are looking for umpires to do what the manual says. I our association, we teach what the manual says, and expect our umpires to follow it. It's all about expectations, whether I agree or not. And in this case, I do agree. I expect the men in our association to call "balk", followed by signalling time.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Not to beat a dead horse here on echoing balk calls, but I was reading my CCA manual this morning and literally started laughing out loud...it's written in plain English... post-1686-135990008481_thumb.jpg

  • Like 2
Posted

An excerpt from section 8.9 (  :ranton:  how can this professionally published, official guide for officials have a section 8.1, followed nine sections later by section 8.10?!?  :rantoff: ) of the PBUC umpire manual, 2012:

 

The following five points are to be observed when calling balks:

1. Either umpire may call any balk, although the plate umpire usually has a better look at a step balk in the Two-Umpire System.

2. The call of "That's a balk!" is to be made loudly and emphatically.

3. When one umpire calls a balk, the other umpire should follow with the same call.

4. At the proper moment for calling time after a balk, both umpires shall call "Time!" loudly and emphatically.

5. Before the next pitch the plate umpire will give the correct count and put the ball back into play.

 

 

:Horse:  :Horse:  :Horse:  :Horse:  :Horse:  :Horse:  :Horse:  :Horse:  :Horse:  :Horse:

Posted

I disagree. You do it the way your association and evaluators tell you to do it.

 

 

so if the association does it wrong it is then ok for you to do it wrong--do it the right way and YOU bring your association up.

Posted

I disagree. You do it the way your association and evaluators tell you to do it.

 

 

so if the association does it wrong it is then ok for you to do it wrong

 

Absolutely

  • Like 1
Posted

 

I disagree. You do it the way your association and evaluators tell you to do it.

 

 

so if the association does it wrong it is then ok for you to do it wrong

 

Absolutely

 

 

absolutely wrong ----but that is ok because other who are wrong say you are doing it the right way???? Do you want to get better as a umpire or better as a "good old boy"

Posted

Gentlemen, if your association mandates you give the full count signal with closed fists, that's what you do. your assignors/evaluators decide what is appropriate. You may not agree with it, but if you want assignments and big game assignments, you better do as you're told by the powers-that-be.

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...