LL mechanics..

Haid D' Salaami
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4266 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Ok..so i have been watching the LL world series, and have a few questions....

1.. No one on base 6 umpires.. Deep fly ball ( game in No hitter) to F8.. the 2nd base umpire came in to the infield. Isn't he suppose to have fly ball responsibility in that area?

2.. plays at the plate.. it seems like most plate guys take plays at 1BLX is this a mechanic in LL baseball? cause we should take almost ( 97.653%) of plays at 3BLX...

just wondering.

p.s. i am not bashing these guys.. just wondering

I noticed on plays at the plate they never move. Was wondering about that myself. I know it's closed bases and all, but it sure puts U2 OOP on whackers to be behind the play. He's generally blocked out completely.

A few things I noticed.

1) Almost all of them use the softball like mechanic on called strikes. Stay down- verbal strike, come up- signal strike.

2) There seems IMO to be a distinct drop off in the umpiring level between the regionals and the WS. I don't know why but that's what I see. Maybe the regional directors are more " in touch" with the selected umpires and know who the real good ones are.

3) Instant replay sucks.

I haven't watched much of the LLWS this year, but have in the past. The umpiring is not great by any means, but I'm not going to go on and on about it. The softball mechanics most of them use are odd though.

The thing that I hate more about it is 12 year-olds playing on 60 foot bases and that cracker jack sized field. The fence needs to be another 40 feet back and they need to play on 70 foot bases, then I might take it a little more seriously. The commercialization of the whole thing and profiting off of kids (cough....ESPN....cough) is also a joke.

Oh, and yes, instant replay is absolutely stupid for 12 year-old baseball.

A few things I noticed.

1) Almost all of them use the softball like mechanic on called strikes. Stay down- verbal strike, come up- signal strike.

2) There seems IMO to be a distinct drop off in the umpiring level between the regionals and the WS. I don't know why but that's what I see. Maybe the regional directors are more " in touch" with the selected umpires and know who the real good ones are.

3) Instant replay sucks.

Can't hide the umpires at the WS - every game is on national TV and all 16 umpires get at least one TV plate. Six of the 12 regional umpires where I went didn't work a TV plate. All of us worked 2 plates in pool play, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1.. No one on base 6 umpires.. Deep fly ball ( game in No hitter) to F8.. the 2nd base umpire came in to the infield. Isn't he suppose to have fly ball responsibility in that area?

2.. plays at the plate.. it seems like most plate guys take plays at 1BLX is this a mechanic in LL baseball? cause we should take almost ( 97.653%) of plays at 3BLX...

just wondering.

YES ...EVERY play he comes in ....regardless of where its hit....

just wondering.

That's not the way it's done out West. Here, and I saw this at Western Regional, U2 goes out, U3 comes into the working area, and the LFU steps up to third. That's the only 6 man rotation, and goes into effect once U2 turns his back.

What you're seeing in Williamsport is what they want done there. I have no idea why, though.

just wondering.

That's not the way it's done out West. Here, and I saw this at Western Regional, U2 goes out, U3 comes into the working area, and the LFU steps up to third. That's the only 6 man rotation, and goes into effect once U2 turns his back.

What you're seeing in Williamsport is what they want done there. I have no idea why, though.

thanks Kyle

What I did hear that I was knocked out by is one guy has 42 years of LL umpire experience and the other guy 38 years.

Like I have said, in my short 23 years, I have never worked a game with 6 umpires, most I have ever had was me and 2.

I guess I would do what they told me to do also!

This is why LL umps get ragged so much. The guys at WP are touted to be best of the best, cream of the crop, hand picked. Some people forget to include "of those available." I'm sure there are plenty of great ones unable to go because of work. So the whole of the org is judged by these 16. I assume attend clinic before pool play starts, but 1 clinic won't break 42 years of bad habits. We see bad timing, poor mechanics, poor positioning, etc. and it is transfered via conveyance to the rest of you. 42 year man, clinically trained, hand chosen sure sounds great on the old rezoomie, until you add those crushing words "of those available."

Same with every other organization, only LL is so commercialized

Plays at the plate are taught as follows:

1. Set up at point of plate 8-12 feet back (or whereever you are comfortable).

2. Adjust to 1BLX for possible collision, adjust to 3BLX for possible swipe tag.

3. Use read step if necessary to improve your view/angle as a last second adjustment, but be set to see the tag.

Personally, I set up 3BLX for everything and adjust, as necessary, from there.

just wondering.

The thing is its wrong..and when you move to other areas, you will not know what is going on, this is why there are mechanics books out there.

2. Adjust to 1BLX for possible collision, adjust to 3BLX for possible swipe tag.

Do we have collision in LL? If not then why teach 1BLX?

Yes, there are collisions in LL (train wrecks) and there are times where the runner contacts the fielder legally when the fielder is not in possession of the ball waiting to make a tag. It may not be "real" baseball, but it's still baseball.

Do we have collision in LL? If not then why teach 1BLX?

Yes, there are collisions in LL (train wrecks) and there are times where the runner contacts the fielder legally when the fielder is not in possession of the ball waiting to make a tag. It may not be "real" baseball, but it's still baseball.

Ok this is called.. OBS.. do we need to be 1BLX to see this?.. or can I see this from 3BLX...

Look my point is mechanics.... we are trying not to teach 1BLX anymore.. ( umpire school, PBUC btw) are not trying to teach this..

My guess as to the drop off in performance between Regions and World Series is for most World Series umpires there is at least a 10 year or more gap between doing Region and World Series. I think they get complacent and a lot of them, NOT all by any means, just don't keep on studying. I think we see that by the fact they are using old mechanics. 1BLX and the staying down for the verbal and coming up for the signal, these were things taught 15 years ago.

"the staying down for the verbal and coming up for the signal,  these were things taught 15 years ago" . Is that a mechanic? What blows your skirt up about it? I think I see it in MLB. Mechanics that improve making the call are legitimate issues.

I don't know if you were responding to my post directly but It doesn't bother me, it is just something I observed.

This is why LL umps get ragged so much. The guys at WP are touted to be best of the best, cream of the crop, hand picked. Some people forget to include "of those available." I'm sure there are plenty of great ones unable to go because of work. So the whole of the org is judged by these 16. I assume attend clinic before pool play starts, but 1 clinic won't break 42 years of bad habits. We see bad timing, poor mechanics, poor positioning, etc. and it is transfered via conveyance to the rest of you. 42 year man, clinically trained, hand chosen sure sounds great on the old rezoomie, until you add those crushing words "of those available."

Why would you assume they attend a clinic?

I have to say, I'm a convert -- there's no reason for rotations on a 60' diamond with 6 umpires. If you haven't worked a 60' field, keep in mind that U2 could take 3-4 quick steps and rule on anything. If you can't rule on a catch/no-catch and then turn and make a call at second (from the outside, naturally), there's something wrong. You can fit three 60' fields into one 90' field and have room left over.

I saw that WR and SWR both used the "proper" 6-man mechanic. I also saw in those regions an umpire get in position late on a rotation and blow an appeal for leaving early. I also saw one play where second base was left uncovered when U3 didn't rotate up.

If you read the LL manuals for working on a small diamond (they have one for 2-man and one for 4-man that I've found), you'd think they were written in 1970. For example, in 4-man, all rotations are counter clockwise. U1 always goes to second, U2 can go to third. The PU never leaves the plate.

Why would you assume they attend a clinic?

It would stand to reason that, since these guys are gonna be on the biggest stage in youth baseball, they would clinic mechanics, rotations, and rules prior to 1st game. But hey, it IS LL.

What about passed ball plays at the plate? I think every one of those I have seen have been taken 1BLX. What do you guys do on these?

I think those plays had passed balls where the throw was coming in from the 1st base side of hp. If they had set up at 3BLX they could have been blocking the throw from the F2. 1BLX Isis really the only way to go.