Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5711 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Fellers, I have been wondering for about a year or two if I should invest into some long sleeve umpire shirts. What are ya'lls take on them? Because I want to try them out but then again i just don't know!

  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I only use my long sleeve SH*#s when I have the plate. The combination of all the gear and running around back there I stay pretty warm. If it is really cold I will break out the jacket behind the dish but it doesn't happen very often.

I only use it when a jacket is too warm and short sleeve it to cold... On the bases I (again how cold is it) I will wear either the convertible jacket or just a long sleeve jacket

Posted

Around here in the spring and fall there are numerous times where your short sleeve shirt is just not enough and the jacket is too much. I went several years w/o a long sleeve shirt in my umpiring wardrobe, but now don't think I could do with out. A C9 cold gear shirt underneath and you're good to go.

Posted

I am with UIC. I used to go without L/S shirts, but after buying a black and a navy smitty L/S last year they are my favorite. Great behind the plate on cool days here in Texas. I really only wear a jacket on the plate when it is cold and windy. The Long sleeve shirt with a longsleeve undershirt provides all the warmth I need.

They do look silly on the bases.

Posted

Long sleeve shirts are beauties. If you can pick one up, I'd advise you to do it.

Personally, LS shirts never see the light of day if I have a base game. On the stick, unless there is a lot of precipitation to encounter when working the game, I default to the LS when it's too cold for short sleeves.

The key is to use a good undershirt (or more if colder) with it. For me, that's always a UA cold gear compression mock neck...pricey to the consumer but worth every cent.

Posted

A search on this forum for "what to wear behind the plate" will divulge a multitude of reading opportunities!! Some already re-conveyed here! Happy reading!:D

Posted

Gerry Davis actually has some navy long sleeve shirts on sale for $17.00. Manufacturer's error made LS shirts out of the MXS short-sleve material. Regular price on the shirts is $37.90. Might be worth a try!

Posted

Long sleeve shirts are not allowed in my area.

Ump24 - are they allowed in your area. I believe the Baseball Canada standard is short sleeves only.

Posted

Personally I think a LS is a must to have if you can have them in your association. I find them to be very nice on a nice cool game when a jacket is to much. Plus I think they look real sharp when you have the stick.

But like many of the others I would never wear one on the bases. I wear a Half jacket on the bases on a 'tweener temperature kinda of game. They trap in the heat I get when Im running around on the bases and they allow the breeze to flow through if it warms up.

Posted

What's the hang up with long sleeves on the bases?

tj, I'm not sure where it stems from, but LS shirts are a 'plate' thing. I guess because the MLB guys never wear LS in the field? Just a guess....but it's fairly common speak amungst the forums :shrug:

Posted

What's the hang up with long sleeves on the bases?

tj, I'm not sure where it stems from, but LS shirts are a 'plate' thing. I guess because the MLB guys never wear LS in the field? Just a guess....but it's fairly common speak amungst the forums :shrug:

I don't care what MLB guys do. ;) I wear mine.

Posted

What's the hang up with long sleeves on the bases?

tj, I'm not sure where it stems from, but LS shirts are a 'plate' thing. I guess because the MLB guys never wear LS in the field? Just a guess....but it's fairly common speak amungst the forums :shrug:

I don't care what MLB guys do. ;) I wear mine.

Neither do I, ...just saying as a guess,, ...that that is where the "no LS shirts" on the bases talk comes from........

Posted

What's the hang up with long sleeves on the bases?

tj, I'm not sure where it stems from, but LS shirts are a 'plate' thing. I guess because the MLB guys never wear LS in the field? Just a guess....but it's fairly common speak amungst the forums :shrug:

I don't care what MLB guys do. ;) I wear mine.

Neither do I, ...just saying as a guess,, ...that that is where the "no LS shirts" on the bases talk comes from........

LS shirt are forbidden, but those sleeveless smocks are somehow okay? Got it.

Yeah, put in the column of not caring what the MLB guys do, and wearing the LS on the bases.

The best LS shirt is the old +POS, that was actually lined. Butter. I sent one of mine to the guy at The Official's Choice, with a promise to make me a new one. We'll see if that ever happens.

Posted

What's the hang up with long sleeves on the bases?

tj, I'm not sure where it stems from, but LS shirts are a 'plate' thing. I guess because the MLB guys never wear LS in the field? Just a guess....but it's fairly common speak amungst the forums :shrug:

I don't care what MLB guys do. ;) I wear mine.

Neither do I, ...just saying as a guess,, ...that that is where the "no LS shirts" on the bases talk comes from........

I know what you meant. Just giving you a hard time. I'm bored. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once! :o

Posted

Long sleeve shirts are not allowed in my area.

Ump24 - are they allowed in your area. I believe the Baseball Canada standard is short sleeves only.

As you know, B-Can uniform items must have the B-Can logo on them, which you can only get done through Home-Run sports, or whatever else they may be calling themselves now. I'd speculate the reason long sleevers aren't in the national dress code is because that's something else one would have to buy when they're selected to work a national...not everyone in the 4 program in the country is dedicated to the job...I saw a guy at the Bantams last summer in Vaughn without plate shoes. So the argument is that a hat, two shirts, and a jacket is enough to wear for one week once every (maybe) two years...unless you wanna be like some of the self-proclaimed "studs" in Ontario and wear them during regular inter-provincial play.

The other point I have is that our cold-weather dress standards here are a clusterflick. First, you have your guys who just buy a standard navy pullover from Easton, UA, Mizuno, etc and slap the OBA patch they give to you at a clinic, and proclaim themselves good to go. And then, since we don't have a "standard" jacket, you get a mash up of guys who have only one jacket, which (of course) spans the entire jacket repertoire of the market. For instance, I saw a pic from an IC game last year in Kitchener...PU was rocking the black with white jacket, U1 had the old school navy with collar / cuff trim, and U3 had plain a navy jacket that looked like he could've bought at the local sports store 25 minutes before the game. And that's supposed to be our "premier" league.

As far as the argument "no long sleeves on the bases", I don't wear mine on the bases because I have jackets for that. They should get their turn to come out of the bowels of the equipment bag once in a while too. While I would not wear a LS on the bases personally, ff I was evaluating a game and saw BU roll out in a LS shirt, I would not mark them down. And I knew we couldn't go a LS shirt thread without Kyle coming on here to rip on the smock :P

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Got it from the horses mouth last night, no ls shirts on the bases if you are a member of my association.

Posted

Long sleeve shirts are not allowed in my area.

Ump24 - are they allowed in your area. I believe the Baseball Canada standard is short sleeves only.

As you know, B-Can uniform items must have the B-Can logo on them, which you can only get done through Home-Run sports, or whatever else they may be calling themselves now. I'd speculate the reason long sleevers aren't in the national dress code is because that's something else one would have to buy when they're selected to work a national...not everyone in the 4 program in the country is dedicated to the job...I saw a guy at the Bantams last summer in Vaughn without plate shoes. So the argument is that a hat, two shirts, and a jacket is enough to wear for one week once every (maybe) two years...unless you wanna be like some of the self-proclaimed "studs" in Ontario and wear them during regular inter-provincial play.

The other point I have is that our cold-weather dress standards here are a clusterflick. First, you have your guys who just buy a standard navy pullover from Easton, UA, Mizuno, etc and slap the OBA patch they give to you at a clinic, and proclaim themselves good to go. And then, since we don't have a "standard" jacket, you get a mash up of guys who have only one jacket, which (of course) spans the entire jacket repertoire of the market. For instance, I saw a pic from an IC game last year in Kitchener...PU was rocking the black with white jacket, U1 had the old school navy with collar / cuff trim, and U3 had plain a navy jacket that looked like he could've bought at the local sports store 25 minutes before the game. And that's supposed to be our "premier" league.

As far as the argument "no long sleeves on the bases", I don't wear mine on the bases because I have jackets for that. They should get their turn to come out of the bowels of the equipment bag once in a while too. While I would not wear a LS on the bases personally, ff I was evaluating a game and saw BU roll out in a LS shirt, I would not mark them down. And I knew we couldn't go a LS shirt thread without Kyle coming on here to rip on the smock :P

Baseball Canada has recently added LS shirts as part of it's official dress code. It's now up to the supplier to add it to its catalouge. I have been told by Home Run Sports that LS shirts will be available this spring.

Posted

Long sleeve shirts are not allowed in my area.

Ump24 - are they allowed in your area. I believe the Baseball Canada standard is short sleeves only.

As you know, B-Can uniform items must have the B-Can logo on them, which you can only get done through Home-Run sports, or whatever else they may be calling themselves now. I'd speculate the reason long sleevers aren't in the national dress code is because that's something else one would have to buy when they're selected to work a national...not everyone in the 4 program in the country is dedicated to the job...I saw a guy at the Bantams last summer in Vaughn without plate shoes. So the argument is that a hat, two shirts, and a jacket is enough to wear for one week once every (maybe) two years...unless you wanna be like some of the self-proclaimed "studs" in Ontario and wear them during regular inter-provincial play.

The other point I have is that our cold-weather dress standards here are a clusterflick. First, you have your guys who just buy a standard navy pullover from Easton, UA, Mizuno, etc and slap the OBA patch they give to you at a clinic, and proclaim themselves good to go. And then, since we don't have a "standard" jacket, you get a mash up of guys who have only one jacket, which (of course) spans the entire jacket repertoire of the market. For instance, I saw a pic from an IC game last year in Kitchener...PU was rocking the black with white jacket, U1 had the old school navy with collar / cuff trim, and U3 had plain a navy jacket that looked like he could've bought at the local sports store 25 minutes before the game. And that's supposed to be our "premier" league.

As far as the argument "no long sleeves on the bases", I don't wear mine on the bases because I have jackets for that. They should get their turn to come out of the bowels of the equipment bag once in a while too. While I would not wear a LS on the bases personally, ff I was evaluating a game and saw BU roll out in a LS shirt, I would not mark them down. And I knew we couldn't go a LS shirt thread without Kyle coming on here to rip on the smock :P

Baseball Canada has recently added LS shirts as part of it's official dress code. It's now up to the supplier to add it to its catalouge. I have been told by Home Run Sports that LS shirts will be available this spring.

I received the BCBUA / Baseball Canada updated dress code about a month ago. It reads Plate umpire only has the option of wearing a long sleeve jersey (both National and Provincial codes). I also noticed in the dress code that Baseball Canada will now offer 8 stitch caps. I spoke to Mark at Home Run and he said they would be available in the Spring --- no more plate caps on the bases --- YAY!!! The one disappointing thing is that we're stuck with heather gray pants for at least one more season. The BCBUA has also adopted powder blue as the manditory color for umpire shirts (black and navy are now optional).

As far as the wearing of Baseball Canada apparel when working with a non-Baseball Canada umpire, I'm split. Eventhough it is acceptable for level 4 and 5 umpires to wear National apparel when working regular season or provincial games (as long as colors match), I don't necessarily agree with doing it. If we wear black, I have no problem wearing my Baseball Canada shirt and cap since the black matches our BCBUA black shirts. The Baseball Canada powder blue shirts DO NOT match the BCBUA light blue shirts (they are polo). So if I'm working a game with a partner who has one of these shirts, I just wear my Honig's or UA polo blue shirt without a logo. The jackets are not an option since our Provincial association jackets have the Major League style blue stripes (not the black and white). So I also own a blue stripe jacket for these occasions. I wear this jacket much more than the Baseball Canada jacket.

What I'm saying here is that in BC it's extremely difficult for us all to match. I assume it's similar in Ontario. Do you guys have an official umpire supplier to Baseball Ontario?

Posted

What's the hang up with long sleeves on the bases?

on the base a long sleeve shirt is not worn--for the same reason you do not wear a short brim hat on the base--or carry a brush or keep score or between innings talk to your partner on the first base line--it is just not DONE

Posted

Long sleeve shirts are not allowed in my area.

Ump24 - are they allowed in your area. I believe the Baseball Canada standard is short sleeves only.

As you know, B-Can uniform items must have the B-Can logo on them, which you can only get done through Home-Run sports, or whatever else they may be calling themselves now. I'd speculate the reason long sleevers aren't in the national dress code is because that's something else one would have to buy when they're selected to work a national...not everyone in the 4 program in the country is dedicated to the job...I saw a guy at the Bantams last summer in Vaughn without plate shoes. So the argument is that a hat, two shirts, and a jacket is enough to wear for one week once every (maybe) two years...unless you wanna be like some of the self-proclaimed "studs" in Ontario and wear them during regular inter-provincial play.

The other point I have is that our cold-weather dress standards here are a clusterflick. First, you have your guys who just buy a standard navy pullover from Easton, UA, Mizuno, etc and slap the OBA patch they give to you at a clinic, and proclaim themselves good to go. And then, since we don't have a "standard" jacket, you get a mash up of guys who have only one jacket, which (of course) spans the entire jacket repertoire of the market. For instance, I saw a pic from an IC game last year in Kitchener...PU was rocking the black with white jacket, U1 had the old school navy with collar / cuff trim, and U3 had plain a navy jacket that looked like he could've bought at the local sports store 25 minutes before the game. And that's supposed to be our "premier" league.

As far as the argument "no long sleeves on the bases", I don't wear mine on the bases because I have jackets for that. They should get their turn to come out of the bowels of the equipment bag once in a while too. While I would not wear a LS on the bases personally, ff I was evaluating a game and saw BU roll out in a LS shirt, I would not mark them down. And I knew we couldn't go a LS shirt thread without Kyle coming on here to rip on the smock :P

Baseball Canada has recently added LS shirts as part of it's official dress code. It's now up to the supplier to add it to its catalouge. I have been told by Home Run Sports that LS shirts will be available this spring.

I received the BCBUA / Baseball Canada updated dress code about a month ago. It reads Plate umpire only has the option of wearing a long sleeve jersey (both National and Provincial codes). I also noticed in the dress code that Baseball Canada will now offer 8 stitch caps. I spoke to Mark at Home Run and he said they would be available in the Spring --- no more plate caps on the bases --- YAY!!! The one disappointing thing is that we're stuck with heather gray pants for at least one more season. The BCBUA has also adopted powder blue as the manditory color for umpire shirts (black and navy are now optional).

As far as the wearing of Baseball Canada apparel when working with a non-Baseball Canada umpire, I'm split. Eventhough it is acceptable for level 4 and 5 umpires to wear National apparel when working regular season or provincial games (as long as colors match), I don't necessarily agree with doing it. If we wear black, I have no problem wearing my Baseball Canada shirt and cap since the black matches our BCBUA black shirts. The Baseball Canada powder blue shirts DO NOT match the BCBUA light blue shirts (they are polo). So if I'm working a game with a partner who has one of these shirts, I just wear my Honig's or UA polo blue shirt without a logo. The jackets are not an option since our Provincial association jackets have the Major League style blue stripes (not the black and white). So I also own a blue stripe jacket for these occasions. I wear this jacket much more than the Baseball Canada jacket.

What I'm saying here is that in BC it's extremely difficult for us all to match. I assume it's similar in Ontario. Do you guys have an official umpire supplier to Baseball Ontario?

We do not have an official supplier. As such, our uniform situation is a bit of a mess. The OBA distributes one OBA crest at your pre-season clinic, with instructions to attach it to your navy (standard / mandatory colour) shirt. Though there's no penalty for not doing so. Likewise, there's no penalty if you have a crest attached to any other colour shirt, even though the red clashes hideously with everything except black (which is why we wear red under black, in case anyone's ever seen a picture and wondered why).

There are some formal associations within the OBA itself (Windsor, Hamilton) The Windsor guys have their own number system with custom logos on shirts and jackets. Hamilton just has a number system (hence me being 24). Comic side note - the guy who is 24 in Windsor just moved to Kitchener, about 30 minutes away, LOL. Otherwise, you're pretty much up to your own devices. Some guys just put numbers on their shirts for the sake of doing so.

Mainly, this can create a lot of problem with cold weather games; as I mentioned above, the crew of that one IC game looked ridiculous. I get a chuckle when I hear about guys on here matching jacket stripe width...at least everyone buys the same style of jacket to begin with.

When it comes to wearing B-Can apparel on the field, here's how I look at it (and non-Canadians chime in here too on the subject). Guys who are under PBUC contract don't wear their MiLB uniform when working HS / JuCO games in the late winter / early spring. When I play pick-up hockey, I don't wear my old Jr B jerseys. To others, I think it would look like I'm saying "Look at me! I played Jr B!"

Likewise, if I was in the 4 program and strolled out on the field with a non-4 wearing my 4 gear, I'd feel like it would look as if I'm trying to draw attention to myself / show up my partner(s). Especially since someone is not named a L4 umpire on day 1 of their career; they will have other shirts. I'd rather let my umpiring skills, as opposed to a logo on my shirt, do the talking.

That said, I don't take offense if I'm paired up with a 4 and they bust out the B-Can - they've earned the right to wear that and I respect them for that.

I'm a proponent of having a crew decked out as closely as possible. So either all wear B-Can or everyone leave it in the closet.

Just my $0.03 (adjusted for the CAD)

Posted

I just find that dishing out nearly $450 for BCan apparel only to wear the stuff once a year at the National Clinic and once every three or four years at Nationals doesn't sit well with me. I originally bought the gear last season to look professional at the national clinic. Maybe I should've waited until I got my first National --- oh well. It is nice to use the powder blues when I work with the long time L4 in my area.

You do have me thinking about the "Look at me!" thing. I've personally never thought of it that way, but maybe my partners do. I have purchased some black shirts from +POS over the winter and maybe I'll switch to those this season.

As a young ump coming up I always looked up to my partner with the BCan stuff and strived to be what he was. But I think you're right, some umpires might take it the wrong way.

I think comparing it to a PBUC guy is not a fair comparison, though. I think it is a little like Volleyball Canada where the officials must wear their badges which post their rating (Novice, Local, Provincial, Regional, National, International).

I do like both me and my partner wearing un-logo'd shirts the best though. I especially like it when our local league hosts its annual American Legion tournament in July. We don't have enough local umpires that feel comfortable working that level so we get 3 or 4 guys that come up from Washington State to help out. It's one of the few times I get to break out the Cream shirts.

And Chris just an off topic question. What do you guys wear for hats? I personally don't have any un-logo'd hats.


×
×
  • Create New...