It's even cool when there isn't a play!

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4264 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Something else that happened throughout the weekend, but also happened in the championship game on Sunday at U-M .....

No one on ....ripper down the right field line tailing away from the running F9 who's going to dive for it .........partner turns and starts to haul a$$ towards the trouble ball and I bust out racing towards second and arrive just before the late throw (no tag). Relax in play ....

BR on second asks for time after his slide, .... I call "time" and my partner and I look and smile. :D

Rotations are cool (insert Beavis and Butthead laugh here ) :Cool2:

• Like 1

I love good rotations.

Last week doing a 4-man at CDP Semi-final game. No one on. Ball hit to the fence U2 stayed out. U3 Busted in from D. I busted up the line to 3rd. U1 went Home.

U3 called runner out on Banger at second.

I heard WOW from the HC on the 3rd base side. I thought he was talking about the out. He told me that he didn't even watch the play. He was watching us rotate. Said it was very nice.

• Like 1

I love good rotations.

Last week doing a 4-man at CDP Semi-final game. No one on. Ball hit to the fence U2 stayed out. U3 Busted in from D. I busted up the line to 3rd. U1 went Home.

I heard WOW from the HC on the 3rd base side. I thought he was talking about the out. He told me that he didn't even watch the play. He was watching us rotate. Said it was very nice.

:yippie:

Had a nice one earlier this summer. One out, runner on first. Base hit to outfield. I slide up the third base line, R1 heads for third, throw comes to third, I'm right on top of it and bang the runner out. Batter-runner is going for second. F5 snaps a throw there, partner is right on top of that one and he bangs him out.

I love good rotations.

Not to nitpick, but ... with a rotation, U1 does not go home until BR, or in case of R1, that runner commits to 3rd. With no one on, BR going to 2nd, PU at 3rd U3 at 2nd U1 at 1st.

Nice job none the less.

I love good rotations.

Not to nitpick, but ... with a rotation, U1 does not go home until BR, or in case of R1, that runner commits to 3rd. With no one on, BR going to 2nd, PU at 3rd U3 at 2nd U1 at 1st.

Nice job none the less.

Yes I see how U1 should have satyed at 1st because the runner going to second may have decided to go back to first.

Still looked good! :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing better than rotating home in a three-man, and having a banger at the plate ! Had it happen once in all these years, and boy,was I proud of it. Second-round playoff game. I looked up after the call, and both of my partners hit me with our "nice job" sign, which I immediately returned. What a rush !

A few years ago the Cal Ripken league that my association scheduled for was chosen to host the state playoffs for Cal Ripken. So we were umpiring the tournament. Our scheduler was pretty nervous and was at the site. I was BU, had a play where BR hit a gapper. I got in position for the thrown to second. BR rounds second and head for third. I hear my partner yell "I've got third", so I turn and head for home. Sure enough the ball gets past the third baseman, the runner heads for home, and I'm right there for the close call at home. Our scheduler came up to us after the game and could not stop gushing about how we handled it. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but she said all the fans were even talking about how impressive it looked. You do something like that on the filed and your respect as an umpire in the eyes of fans, coaches, and everyone goes up exponentially.

• Like 1

some groups do it especially on less than 90 foot diamonds but I dont think its a good mechanic but if its what is used and what is pregamed then go for it.

Yes it was 70 foot. I don't remember if it was pregamed, but it was a known expectation in our association.

So you are in the working area and headed Home?

So who would take the call at home? No way the PU with shin guards and all is going to be able to get back in time.

Why not! Its called hustle. I run as fast with plate gear as no plate gear.

We don't use any 2-man mechanics that require a BU to rotate to home.

So who would take the call at home? No way the PU with shin guards and all is going to be able to get back in time.

Because the PU is on the outside and chasing the runner. If the runner is faster than the umpire the umpire may be making a call from behind the runner. In my opinion the BU has a much better shot at getting into a good position to make the call. Especially if he's prepared to do so. The PU would have to wait until the play as he would be watching for the tag. Once the throw goes to third, and it's obvious the runner is not going to be subject to a potential rundown, the BU can break for home and be in a better position. That was the logic as it was explained to me. That's the same logic that is used for why the PU would take a single runner at third. It's consistent and the BU doesn't have to watch for something at second and then transition over to the third.

If you run as fast with shin guards, plate shoes, and a chest protector as you do with base shoes, then you must be pretty slow on the bases.

If you run as fast with shin guards, plate shoes, and a chest protector as you do with base shoes, then you must be pretty slow on the bases.

I may be slow but I know my mechanics!

Shouldnt the plate ump take that call at 3rd from inside just for that reason?

Scott wouldn't know that!

Scott does know that (when it's able to be done). It does not change the fact that you have to wait to make the call, and then turn and run back towards home. The BU will be able to react and head for home much sooner.

Scott does know that (when it's able to be done). It does not change the fact that you have to wait to make the call, and then turn and run back towards home. The BU will be able to react and head for home much sooner.

Show me any manual that shows that is an approved or regular mechanic.

I was gonna stay out of it, buuuuuuuuuuut....... If HP moves to the proper position at the cutout at 3b INSIDE, he will be several feet to the dish side of 3b. The only way there's gonna be a play at home after you've rotated to 3b cutout is if the ball gets away from F5. the runner will have to read the ball too, and since presumably you were watching the ball the whole time, that gives you the advantage. Plus, the runner will probably have to get up from his slide, which gives you a step on him. I agree that as long as your association expects this and you pregame it, do it. I, however, only rotate to the dish if, from "A", I go out on a trouble ball.

No oc course not because it takes loinger to run that didstance with 70' bases than it does with 90' bases.