What is with the bat throwing?

cyclonehokiece
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4351 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Two years ago I was doing the womens U16 provincial championships. On Sat afternoon one of the girls threw her bat and just missed F2 and myself. I spoke to the coach and he said it must have slipped she doesn't normally do that. Next time up she hit the ball again and threw her bat and it caught me on the wrist. My partner came in and said toss her, I said there is no rule under which to do it. Spoke to the coach and he again played dumb. Her next at bat she was called out on strikes. The game was out of hand with her team well ahead when she struck out so draw your own conclusions about that. Anyway I finished the tournament and on the Monday I went to my Dr because it was still swollen. He sent me to the fracture clinic and one of the bones in my wrist was broken. Because of the nature of the break I had to wear a cast for 16 weeks. I never missed an assignment even though I had to use my indicator in my right hand during that time. I really can't remember anyone throwing a bat like that before or since. I might have been able to get rid of her under safety concerns, but I think my way was a little more subtle.

"Spoke to the coach and he again played dumb. Her next at bat she was called out on strikes. The game was out of hand with her team well ahead when she struck out so draw your own conclusions about that"

And so what if the game had not been out of hand. What about the people who are not a proponent of the, you can draw your own conclusions about that call, call. And what if the player batted 2 or 3 times more because the game was not out of hand and drilled you every time on the same wrist you broke because the pitchers had to pitch to her in a decent game that was not out of hand.

What if the game is not a blow out. What if it is happening in the championship game of a tourny (other then FED) and the catcher and/or myself is getting hit bad enough that one of us could sustain a season ending injury? By the rules I cant get an out or really penalize it in any way. But I dont want to allow it to continue. What are my options? Honest question!

What if the game is not a blow out. What if it is happening in the championship game of a tourny (other then FED) and the catcher and/or myself is getting hit bad enough that one of us could sustain a season ending injury? By the rules I cant get an out or really penalize it in any way. But I dont want to allow it to continue. What are my options? Honest question!

Exactly. You put it much better than I.

Guess you and I will not get an answer or any help on this one.

Exactly. You put it much better than I.

Guess you and I will not get an answer or any help on this one.

I spoke with our zone UIC about this situation and he said In the Softball Canada Rulebook Rule 10 sec 1 Powers and Duties the last sentence reads: The plate umpire shall have the authority to make decisions on any situations not specifically covered in these rules. Therefore I could have removed her from the game inasmuch as she was a hazard to the catcher and the umpire. I believe it says much the same thing in rule 9.01 c in OBR. In removing her she could have still sat on the bench or coached, but could not actively participate in the game.

I just did a varsity game where I got nailed in the face with a thrown bat. I told the coach to talk to his player. I should have done a formal,warning because it happened again. The bat flew Up against the fence. Coaches do not care about your safety. I'm tired of playing around being the nice guy with these coaches. Someone is going to get hurt. Warn then eject. The only way change will happen

I just did a varsity game where I got nailed in the face with a thrown bat. I told the coach to talk to his player. I should have done a formal,warning because it happened again. The bat flew Up against the fence. Coaches do not care about your safety. I'm tired of playing around being the nice guy with these coaches. Someone is going to get hurt. Warn then eject. The only way change will happen

Warn and eject brother. They will learn to drop that bat if they get tossed when they do it.

My partner gives warnings and then calls them out the next time.

Can you please find a rule citation for this?

I have seen this in local rules before, but disagree with it's use

Glad we weren't working together the day I did that, then. I think we'd already worked together by this point.

My first year in Virginia, at the old Kempsville Pony site, I finally "tossed" a kid. First time, I had to hop the bat going around F2 to come up the 1B line, as it skittered quickly by. Told the coach, and also said something to the player. Second time, F2 gets hit with the bat. "Coach, if he can't control that bat, I'll be stepping in." Third time, the bat clanged off the backstop (granted, it was that 'short porch' backstop almost right behind us, but still.). "Okay coach, put a new runner on first, because he's restricted to the dugout for the game."

Yes, I know restriction is a HS rule only. And I remembered that well later. On the other hand, it seemed to work better than some big EJ mechanic, and still hopefully taught the kid to control the bat. And let's be honest and fair to KPB: I wasn't using a local rule. I was using the 9.01c defense. And actually trying to save the bone structure of myself and the catcher. Sometimes, with the little guys, "game management" includes self/other's preservation.

Defensive HC: "Do we get an out from that?"

Me: "Sure, if you get his replacement runner forced out at second."

. . .what mstalyor said . . . plus - you're not ejecting for a thrown bat (as has been stated, there's no rule to support that ejection) - You're ejecting for failing to comply with an umpire's directive. That's why the warning has to come first.