Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5943 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

u8 boys...kid swings, with 2 strikes on him, at a pitch that is coming right at him...i cant see what the ball hit (bat or hands) but it rolls out towards the plate....i dont call anything and then the kid drops to the ground crying and all of the coaches run out...the game was a blow out and almost over and the the DC said to me "just put him on 1st" which i did...questions...i assume from the kids reaction that it hit him so should be strike 3 i guess...but how can i tell if it hit both? that could be, right? then its just in play....and if the coaches come out like that on a fair ball and the kid cant/doesnt run (but the defense stopped play also) what would you do? (I expect "don't do u8" will be an answer)

  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

u8 boys...kid swings, with 2 strikes on him, at a pitch that is coming right at him...i cant see what the ball hit (bat or hands) but it rolls out towards the plate....i dont call anything and then the kid drops to the ground crying and all of the coaches run out...the game was a blow out and almost over and the the DC said to me "just put him on 1st" which i did...questions...i assume from the kids reaction that it hit him so should be strike 3 i guess...but how can i tell if it hit both? that could be, right? then its just in play....and if the coaches come out like that on a fair ball and the kid cant/doesnt run (but the defense stopped play also) what would you do? (I expect "don't do u8" will be an answer)

If it hit both assume it hit the hands first.

If you can't tell, assume it his the hands first.

Yes, in this case it should have just been a strike.

Posted

why do you say that rich? not necessarily disagreeing, just wondering where that comes from?

Posted

it does not matter if it hit the bat or the hand---that fact is he swong at the pitch--IT IS A STRIKE

It does matter whether it hit the bat or the hands because in the OP the batter had 2 strikes already. If it hit the hands while he is swinging ...Strike three ...OUT! But if it hit the bat .... FOUL BALL! Stay at the plate.:)

Posted

It does matter whether it hit the bat or the hands because in the OP the batter had 2 strikes already. If it hit the hands while he is swinging ...Strike three ...OUT! But if it hit the bat .... FOUL BALL! Stay at the plate.:)

Or (as it rolled toward the plate) if it went fair just point and play on.

Posted

"Punish He Who Hath Screwed Up"

If it hits the hands/bat of the batter, while:

the batter is swinging at the ball, he needs better control of his bat:= Strike.

the batter is not swinging at the ball, the pitcher needs better control of the pitch: =HBP.

Posted

"Punish He Who Hath Screwed Up"

If it hits the hands/bat of the batter, while:

the batter is swinging at the ball, he needs better control of his bat:= Strike.

the batter is not swinging at the ball, the pitcher needs better control of the pitch: =HBP.

I thought we were Umpires!!!

Where in any rule book does it tell us to Punish anyone? :clap::HS:HS :HS

Posted

it went into fair territory

So what?

It obviously hit the hands at some point. So, it's either a strike or a foul ball, no matter where it ended up.

I agree with Rich -- it hit the hands first. Sometimes that will benefit the batter, sometime it will benefit the defense (as in this play).

Posted

what if it hit both?

If it hit both at the same time, he got hit by a pitch he was swinging at, strike three....c ya.

If the ball hit both the hand and the bat at the same time, while the batter was diving for cover, wouldn't you award him first base? :clap: The only difference here is what he was doing when he got hit.

Posted

If it hit both at the same time, he got hit by a pitch he was swinging at, strike three....c ya.

If the ball hit both the hand and the bat at the same time, while the batter was diving for cover, wouldn't you award him first base? :question1: The only difference here is what he was doing when he got hit.

Well, technically one or the other happened first, it either hit the bat first or the hands first. If it caught hands, I'm awarding the base. It's very difficult to have it hit the bat first if the batter is holding the bat, even if it catches part of the knob. It might hit the knob, and then off his wrist or arm or something odd like that. But the hands, very difficult to have that happen, let alone tell that's how it happened.

Posted

Best I have in the batter's favor would be a foul ball - that assuming it hit the bat then the batter's hand.

Strictly based on OP, I have strike three since it hit him while swinging.

Posted

Best I have in the batter's favor would be a foul ball - that assuming it hit the bat then the batter's hand.

Strictly based on OP, I have strike three since it hit him while swinging.

I agree with, don't know how he is getting first base at all on this. Those saying that are wrong, If I'm reading the OP correct.

Here are the three choices.

1. K

2. Foul

3. Fair ball

I'm assuming 1 because he swung then the ball hit him. I don;t see how a ball can hit the bat or his hands first then bounce off of that and then the hand or bat(I have a headache). so that takes care of 2 and 3. I'm going to assume he was swinging, ball hit hands. Got your K right there.

Posted

Well, technically one or the other happened first, it either hit the bat first or the hands first. If it caught hands, I'm awarding the base. It's very difficult to have it hit the bat first if the batter is holding the bat, even if it catches part of the knob. It might hit the knob, and then off his wrist or arm or something odd like that. But the hands, very difficult to have that happen, let alone tell that's how it happened.

:HS The ball could hit the pinkie and the bat at the same time. :stir To say it has to hit one or the other first is ridiculus. As far as I'm concerned, if I don't know for sure that it hit the bat first, it is a strike.:)

Posted

Even if it hit both at the same time, he still doesn't get 1B.

Best he gets, is a foul ball (if I hear the tell-tale "ping")

Worst he gets is strike 3

exactly!:crazy:

Posted

:HS The ball could hit the pinkie and the bat at the same time. :stir To say it has to hit one or the other first is ridiculus. As far as I'm concerned, if I don't know for sure that it hit the bat first, it is a strike.:crazy:

Physically not possible is what I'm saying, just like safe/out. It can have the appearance of that and to us be that way, but technically not possible. (I was being very literal). I use the same assumption as you. But you have to decide one or the other happened. I don't like the idea of ties. Both in timing and in wardrobe.

Posted

Physically not possible is what I'm saying,

You have that backwards. It's physically possible, but we're not allowed to say it's a tie. We have to decide which happened first.

just like safe/out

Here, we're allowed to judge it a tie, and the rules are (now) clear on what happens then.


×
×
  • Create New...