Compression pants

sdix00
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4133 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

McDavid leggings from two or more years ago are adequate. The McDavid leggings of recent vintage are of inexcusably poor quality, if not simply defective. One pair tore apart at the seams as of their second wearing. That's $20.00 plus shipping PER USE! And when you attempt to bring it to their attention, you get a nice reponse: eff off!

My son has a McDavid thermal arm sleeve, neoprene elbow sleeve, long-sleeve compression mock and a pair of gray leggings (all of which I paid for, of course).

I have the following McDavid products:

Hexpad leggings

Hexpad shorts

Hexpad compression shirt

Hexpad forearm guards

Hexpad elbow guard

neoprene elbow guard

neoprene elbow brace

neoprene groin straps

neoprene thigh wraps

neoprene knee braces

hinged knee brace

neoprene calf sleeve

neoprene ankle brace

neoprene Achilles strap

and of course,

three pairs of their horse$h!t, if not defective black leggings

I don't think I left anything out. So, do the math; I've spent about as much money on McDavid products as a single end user can spend. And they tell me to eff off?! Some of their pads and braces are very good. It's only when I bought those last two pairs of leggings that I had a problem. One tore immediately at the seams like I described. Another tore horizontally at the knee after half a dozen wearings. (They were both of recent vintage that bore the hexpad logo on the shin area.) The third pair---from three-plus years ago---only now tore this past month. I have now turned to the Shock Doctor or Under Armour full time, no matter what level of compression I want or need.

McDavid can go down the drain with their new practices and woeful products. And before they do, they can kiss my a$$.

I don't wear all of that crap every time, but rather a combination of stuff depending on the weather, pain level and velocity of the pitching.

Common practice (plate or base): UA shorts; jock; thigh wraps; knee sleeves; tights. If the pitchers are bringing 90, I wear the Hexpad shorts instead of the tights, and I wear the forearm pads (but only if I'm wearing a long-sleeve shirt). If my ankle or Achilles or knee or groin flare up, I wear that stuff. Sometimes I wear a back brace (which I forgot to list).

I swore by their stuff---right up until they told me to eff off (or words to that effect).

Until I find a supplier that replicate the secure nature that McDavids can keep a cup in...I may have to put up with their compression shorts. I will use another brand of leggings to wear under them...McDavid simply keep the cup where it needs to be kept..over the family tree :angel4:

Until I find a supplier that replicate the secure nature that McDavids can keep a cup in...I may have to put up with their compression shorts. I will use another brand of leggings to wear under them...McDavid simply keep the cup where it needs to be kept..over the family tree :angel4:

Well, NWA, you just stumbled on away to silence me. I'm not going there.

:wow: :yippie::meditation:

HOLY CRAP I did IT!!!

Just kidding...I don't like the McDavids persay...but they perform the function they were purchased to do. I wish Jim could talk SD into building theirs in a similar fashion. Every pair of compression type pants/shorts/leggings or whatever you wish to call them are supposed to do a few things...compress, hold a cup, protect your legs..etc. Every pair put on all have the same problem...the cup pocket. It's great if you don't have to move or bend in any way shape or form. I wish they would build the pockets lower in the garmet.

I know football players wear cups and there is no way they can protect correctly unless they stand up the whole game and never have to get in a 3 point stance. Why can't a company figure this out????

Thanks all. I ordered the UA HeatGear CoreVentilated from Under Armor.

Appreciate all the expert advice!!

Ordered on Saturday and delivered on Wednesday. Nice job Under Armor!

It's hard to find UA at a discount, so ordering straight from them is always a good way to get the exact item you want---almost immediately.

The McDavid compression shorts I own were the least durable I've tried. They fairly disintegrated after a couple of seasons. It was like the individual strands of elastic in the material began to fray, popped out and made it look like I was sprouting hundreds of white hairs! It was a very strange breakdown of the material that I've never experienced with any other compression product. Kind of turned me off to McDavid (though they have likely changed their design and construction since then).

I also hate how most compression shorts/pants will let a cup float around, or at least not keep it in place as firmly as I like. I've since gone to wearing a good old fashioned jock over top of my compression pants as my prefered method of wearing a cup.

The absolute worst was a pair of Franklin compression shorts I bought a few years ago. They were on sale cheap somewhere and I thought I'd give them a try. The material itself was fine, they were comfortable enough and seemed well-made- except for the cup pocket. Instead of being shaped like, well, a cup, the pocket was shaped more like a square (actually a trapezoid). I tried them in a game and they were horrible. After the first inning, you could tell the cup was shifting around. After the second inning, the cup had actually worked itself all the way around sideways!

The McDavid compression shorts I own were the least durable I've tried. They fairly disintegrated after a couple of seasons. It was like the individual strands of elastic in the material began to fray, popped out and made it look like I was sprouting hundreds of white hairs! It was a very strange breakdown of the material that I've never experienced with any other compression product. Kind of turned me off to McDavid (though they have likely changed their design and construction since then).

Yes, they have; they're worse now. I have two newer pairs and one older pair.

So, I will put a watch on how many games/years Shock Doctor and Under Armour tights last. My UA compression shorts, which see a lot of use--virtually every game I work--have shown almost no signs of wear after three years and hundreds of games. (I wash them very carefully and almost never put them through the dryer.)

So, I guess what I'm saying is that three pairs of McDavid tights cost $120.00, plus shipping, and are all shot after three years. One pair of UAs (shorts, not tights, but still...) are virtually new after three years at a third of the cost. I also wore the same shorts every game and rotated the tights. So make your own formula, but as expensive as UA products seem, they are of measurably higher quality. And they provide better comfort and compression.

I can attest to the garbage that McDavid puts out. As a retail sports manager we had more problems with them then any other company. Meaning they came back from customers before the 30 day return policy was up more than anyone else. Also They use a thinner thread, then anyone else to my knowledge as well. Personally I uses Nike Pro Combat for my shorts, and Shock Dr. for my tights. Simply because I like having the cup pocket built in. Just a personal preference that UA and Nike don't provide. But both Nike and UA make quality products that seemingly last longer than the competition. (Mcdavid, C8, Smitty, Muellar, etc.) Buy quality the first time and you can never go wrong.

Just my $0.02

I can attest to the garbage that McDavid puts out. As a retail sports manager we had more problems with them then any other company. Meaning they came back from customers before the 30 day return policy was up more than anyone else. Also They use a thinner thread, then anyone else to my knowledge as well. Personally I uses Nike Pro Combat for my shorts, and Shock Dr. for my tights. Simply because I like having the cup pocket built in. Just a personal preference that UA and Nike don't provide. But both Nike and UA make quality products that seemingly last longer than the competition. (Mcdavid, C8, Smitty, Muellar, etc.) Buy quality the first time and you can never go wrong.

Just my $0.02

FYI -

My new UA HeatGear Ventilated Core Compression pants have a very nice cup pocket made of a different mesh material more suitable for retaining a cup.

Interesting that they don't point that out in the product description.

http://www.amazon.co...50&sr=8-2-fkmr2

• 3 months later...

I currently wear UA compression shorts under my UA tights. The only problem is the cup floats in the UA Shorts. I have been debating buying a Nutty Buddy for close to a year now. Idid find however my McDavid shorts hold the cup more naturally. I was thinking of upgrading to the stainless steel cup. Still not quite sure.

Two things about the McDavids...one they hold the cup perfectly and it doesn't move. However, w/o the cup in place they are terrible compression shorts. I find I'm always adjusting and the boys don't get any support...guess its just the way they are made.

I've tried the Nutty and don't like it. Yes, I did it correctly. The shape of the cup hit my thighs and caused the cup to ride up. I have thought about buying SD tights and using the McDavids over the TOP...

I currently wear UA compression shorts under my UA tights. The only problem is the cup floats in the UA Shorts. I have been debating buying a Nutty Buddy for close to a year now. Idid find however my McDavid shorts hold the cup more naturally. I was thinking of upgrading to the stainless steel cup. Still not quite sure.

Get a Nutty Buddy! Get a 5% discount with this link Nutty Buddy

• Like 1

I hate my McDavid's, but I've never worn anything else. I would really like to switch but don't really know what I want or what's good. I am starting to think I might be better off with a comfortable pair of leggings and just wearing a jock instead of relying on the built in cup pouch.

I recommend Shock Doctor, Under Armour, or Nike Pro Combat leggings. I wear a generic version of running leggings with a shock doctor cup and jock. I have found that I dont like the way cups fit in the the shorts/leggings.

I am starting to wonder if that's my problem as well. I've never worn a jock and cup, always just used the built in version. My pair of Smitty's with the cup pouch arrived at the office this morning. I will try it out tonight and report back.

I recommend Shock Doctor, Under Armour, or Nike Pro Combat leggings. I wear a generic version of running leggings with a shock doctor cup and jock. I have found that I dont like the way cups fit in the the shorts/leggings.

I am starting to wonder if that's my problem as well. I've never worn a jock and cup, always just used the built in version. My pair of Smitty's with the cup pouch arrived at the office this morning. I will try it out tonight and report back.

Don't expect a better result. I have the Smitty tights. Love the tights...hate the pocket. Cup still floats away from you. I have tried a jock over the TOP and that doesn't work well either. I use the McDavids shorts and have great success with them as a cup holding device only.

Has anyone tried the Honig's line of compression gear?

Don't expect a better result. I have the Smitty tights. Love the tights...hate the pocket. Cup still floats away from you. I have tried a jock over the TOP and that doesn't work well either. I use the McDavids shorts and have great success with them as a cup holding device only.

Has anyone tried the Honig's line of compression gear?

I've never had a real problem with the cup floating or anything. Like I said, haven't known anything different. If you wear shorts underneath and not full length then what do you have that protects your legs? I wear leggings regardless of whether I've got the plate or on the bases. I've thought about wearing full length leggings and then getting a jock, but that seems like overkill.