Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5996 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

FED:

R1 on second and two strikes on B2. B2 swings and misses strike 3 and the ball is not caught. After hitting the catcher's mitt, the ball is deflected off B2's right thigh while out of the batter's box into the backstop area. R1 advances to 3B and B2 reaches 1B safely.

Is this batter interference?

According to NFHS rule 7.3.5, A batter shall not interfere with a catcher's fielding or throwing by: c. making any other movement which hinders actions at home plate or the catcher's attempt to play on a runner.

According to NFHS Case Book situation 7.3.5F a similar scenario involving the batter's follow-through resulted in him being called out for interference and the runner returns to the base occupied at the time of pitch. Is this not a similar situation to the above?

If, in a similar situation, a batter can be called out for interference on a back swing can he not also be called out for interfering with the ball by deflecting it while running to 1B?

  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

First of all, if less than 2 out -- Batter is out. Im not a FED guy but, in regards to the Interference, you must guage intent. If ball bounces off catcher and deflects and hits batter/runner -- I've got nothing here.

Posted

Unless I have some clue of intent, I've got nothing here. The batter is only doing what he is expected to do.

Posted (edited)

First of all, if less than 2 out -- Batter is out. Im not a FED guy but, in regards to the Interference, you must guage intent. If ball bounces off catcher and deflects and hits batter/runner -- I've got nothing here.

How is the batter out if less than two out and first is unoccupied? :beerbang I am assuming first is uoccupied because the OP only states runner on second.

Edited by calablue
Posted (edited)

FED:

R1 on second and two strikes on B2. B2 swings and misses strike 3 and the ball is not caught. After hitting the catcher's mitt, the ball is deflected off B2's right thigh while out of the batter's box into the backstop area. R1 advances to 3B and B2 reaches 1B safely.

Is this batter interference?

According to NFHS rule 7.3.5, A batter shall not interfere with a catcher's fielding or throwing by: c. making any other movement which hinders actions at home plate or the catcher's attempt to play on a runner.

According to NFHS Case Book situation 7.3.5F a similar scenario involving the batter's follow-through resulted in him being called out for interference and the runner returns to the base occupied at the time of pitch. Is this not a similar situation to the above?

If, in a similar situation, a batter can be called out for interference on a back swing can he not also be called out for interfering with the ball by deflecting it while running to 1B?

I don't see how you could have INT here. ( unless there was intent) The batter didn't interfere with the fielder (catcher) while trying to field a ball or make a play on a runner. He got hit by the ball after the the catcher attempted to catch it.

And it sure doesn't seem like the backswing situation can be equated to this situation.

Usually if the batter swings so hard that his backswing hits the catcher, the ball is dead, all runners return to the base they occupied at TOP, and no penalty to the batter. :beerbang

Edited by calablue
Posted

I don't see how you could have INT here. ( unless there was intent) The batter didn't interfere withe fielder (catcher) while trying to field a ball or make a play on a runner. He got hit by the ball after the the catcher attempted to catch it.

And it sure doesn't seem like the backswing situation can be equated to this situation.

Usually if the batter swings so hard that his backswing hits the catcher, the ball is dead, all runners return to the base they occupied at TOP, and no penalty to the batter. :beerbang

Right, but in the caseplay situation I mentioned, after the ball initially hits the catcher's glove, the batter on the backswing hits the ball a second time and it goes all the way to the backstop. According to the casebook, the batter is out for interference.

I'm just trying to get this absolutely right because I don't want to get it wrong again if in fact I am here.

Posted

what if, in same situation, the ball deflects off of the cather and up the 1B line...do we have anything if (all unintentional) a) the batter kicks the ball a few steps up the line before the catcher has reached the ball or :beerbang the catcher runs up the back of the runner trying to get to the ball

Posted

Right, but in the caseplay situation I mentioned, after the ball initially hits the catcher's glove, the batter on the backswing hits the ball a second time and it goes all the way to the backstop. According to the casebook, the batter is out for interference.

I'm just trying to get this absolutely right because I don't want to get it wrong again if in fact I am here.

The casebook play and your play are 2 entirely situations. No interference on your OP.

Posted

what if, in same situation, the ball deflects off of the cather and up the 1B line...do we have anything if (all unintentional) a) the batter kicks the ball a few steps up the line before the catcher has reached the ball or :beerbang the catcher runs up the back of the runner trying to get to the ball

a. nothing

b. probably nothing, but HTBT situation

Posted

:beerbang the catcher runs up the back of the runner trying to get to the ball

might you have obstruction?

Posted

FED: B2 swings and misses strike 3 and the ball is not caught. After hitting the catcher's mitt, the ball is deflected off B2's right thigh while out of the batter's box into the backstop area.

Is this even possible?

The casebook play and your play are 2 entirely situations. No interference on your OP.

Agree, I got nothing

Posted

How is the batter out if less than two out and first is unoccupied? :HS I am assuming first is uoccupied because the OP only states runner on second.

Sorry, thought R1 meant runner on first. I guess he's saying R1 is the runner on second. Then no, he's not out.

Posted

Is this even possible?

Agree, I got nothing

I dont think it is possible...if it was the pitcher is throwing over 100mph, the batter would have to be trying to steal 1B instead of hitting and the catcher has a very sore hand.

Posted

Sorry, thought R1 meant runner on first. I guess he's saying R1 is the runner on second. Then no, he's not out.

I think that is how they describe it in FED. R1 (runner furthest on the bases) and then state the base he's on. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted (edited)

Right, but in the caseplay situation I mentioned, after the ball initially hits the catcher's glove, the batter on the backswing hits the ball a second time and it goes all the way to the backstop. According to the casebook, the batter is out for interference.

I'm just trying to get this absolutely right because I don't want to get it wrong again if in fact I am here.

I could see the INT here IF the ball is in the catches mitt when the batters bat hits it. But if the ball bounces out of the catchers mitt, he didn't do his job. How could you penalize the batter for hitting the ball on his follow through when the ball shouldn't have been there in the first place?

Edited by calablue
Posted

I think that is how they describe it in FED. R1 (runner furthest on the bases) and then state the base he's on. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. Fed has a confusing way of describing runners in their casebook.

Posted

I could see the INT here IF the ball is in the catches mitt when the batters bat hits it. But if the ball bounces out of the catchers mitt, he didn't do his job. How could you penalize the batter for hitting the ball on his backswing when the ball shouldn't have been there in the first place?

Because the batter is responsible for controlling his follow-through.

I'm not saying I agree that this is what the rule should be, but I do see the logic.

Posted

In Fed, if the batter hits the catcher on the backswing, then the ball is dead, the batter is called out and all the runners return. In OBR the ball is dead, all runners return but no outs.

Posted

In Fed, if the batter hits the catcher on the backswing, then the ball is dead, the batter is called out and all the runners return. In OBR the ball is dead, all runners return but no outs.

I do not know what you mean when you say backswing. I don't think I have seen this. I can only imagine a golf swing

Posted

I think they are meaning follow through swing.

That would make much more sense

Posted

I think they just mean any part of the swing that's directly used in hitting the ball. This would include follow through as well as if the batter brings his bat back in a backswing motion.


×
×
  • Create New...