Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5468 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

This is for anyone still wondering if they should purchase this fine chest protector. Last evening in a fall ball game, F1 was throwing in the mid to upper 80's. I had a bad catcher and he whiffed on high hard one inside. It ricocheted off me and shot down the first base line. It got me between the left boob and my sternum. I stood there like a rock because of THE PLATINUM :beerbang The crowd was oohing and aahing. I felt it but it wasn't a bad feeling, if that makes sense. I'm telling you fellas that are unsure of buying one, BUY ONE! Back in the day when I was getting started, I lurked here and on other sites and read what Kyle Jt, Kevin Finnerty and Majordave all wrote about apparel and equipment. Buy the best you can afford, you won't regret it. If I had on an inferior product last night, I'm quite certain I would have been knocked out or worse. I'm glad I listened. I'd been wondering how this would feel to get hit like that. Now I know.

  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Like i have said to many fellow umpires, the wilson hard shell protectors are very good. Great protection but they weigh 3 and a half pounds and there biggest size is 12 and half inches,. Thats fine and dandy if u are 5-9 or less . For umpires like me 6ft plus are ribs are exposed all the time. I hope the new all star chest protector is as good as advertised and the price drops to around 130 bucks or less..As for there legs guards at 129 bucks i think they are out to lunch

Posted

Like i have said to many fellow umpires, the wilson hard shell protectors are very good. Great protection but they weigh 3 and a half pounds and there biggest size is 12 and half inches,. Thats fine and dandy if u are 5-9 or less . For umpires like me 6ft plus are ribs are exposed all the time. I hope the new all star chest protector is as good as advertised and the price drops to around 130 bucks or less..As for there legs guards at 129 bucks i think they are out to lunch

Not when their catchers System 7 leg guards are the same price.........

Posted

I swear by the Gold and I swear by the Platinum. I never felt a thing when I wore the Platinum. When I started doing the 90-plus guys (summer wood bat; fall and winter D-I scrimmages), I went with the Gold. Well, even the Gold proved that it's not 100 percent bulletproof. In February, future No. 1 pick Gerrit Cole nicked a batter's uniform with a 98 m.p.h. pitch that deflected past the catcher and blasted through that gap just under that protective flap and between the sternum plate and that small plate under the armpit (draw a straight line to the right from the top of the W). I got all the snot knocked out of me and was left with a plum-sized bone bruise on the front of my left shoulder bone. It was gnarly.

a3210-close-z.jpg

But I still honestly feel that the Gold is the best, and the Platinum's 1A (toss a coin). But I can't wait to see if the All-Star is superior.

(And there's no way I can wait until Christmas. Time to do a couple games my wife doesn't know about to generate the hidden cash.)

Posted

Long after the money is spent, you never regret buying the best.

I took two good shots to the Platinum this Sunday. One I would have got hurt on with any other protector, 'cause it was right on the collar bone. The Platinum, IMO, is superior in its design in that area, because of the single piece from chest, over the top. I did get the "ARE YOU ALL RIGHT!?" after the big CLACK! "No worries, fellas."

Posted

The WV platinum is great! No desire of wearing anything else at the moment!

The Platinum is great protection, no doubt. But it's far from ideal.

I'd like the buckles on the side, not poking out of my shirt in the front.

The padding material should be more modern. Maybe even something I could toss in the washing machine. Wouldn't that be cool?

And what's with the dopey pad on the sternum? Honestly? Why is that even there?

All the black rivets will have the paint wear off over time, then they have a tendancy to rust. Stainless would be nice. I repaint mine with Rustoleum.

I really like the harness on the Davishield. Too bad they blew it on the plating. Nice padding too, but it didn't separate from the plating, so you can't wash it.

Wilson owns the patent on the Power, and sued them to stop making it. People loved the Power. Why don't they copy it, with modern materials, and dominate the market?

  • 2 weeks later...

×
×
  • Create New...