Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5550 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm a newbie and trying to figure a few things out. When I wear my mask (Wilson A3077) with my plate hat I have to pull it so far down to fit under the padding of the mask that if greatly reduces my field of vision. Is it OK to wear the hat backwards? Does anyone else do this? Any comments or suggestions would be great!

  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Can you describe a bit better. What do yo mean to fit Under the padding?

Posted

DO NOT WEAR YOUR CAP BACKWARDS! There are two types of Plate caps you can purchase. They have shorter bills than the Base cap. Check out Ump-Attire for umpire caps.

Posted

Thanks for the quick replies. It is an actual plate hat ordered from Ump-Attire (430s5-BK-3 Pro Mesh Combo Umpire Cap). Thanks for the picture that helps a lot. As the padding on the upper side of the mask sits on the brim of the hat it seems to sit pretty low to my eyes and restricts the upward field of vision. If I move it up it seemed to me to set the lower padding too much over my mouth. However, looking at the picture supplied by NWA_UMP that is how my hat and mask fit. I guess it is just something I need to get use too. Thanks for helping out a newbie with some pretty simple questions.

Posted

You are correct about getting used to the fit and the vision. Also my mouth is partially covered by my mask as well. If I'm correct with the style of your mask it has wrap around pads...they will cover your mouth up-to your bottom lip and cheeks. Notice the umpire pictured...only his top lip and teeth are visable. I have adjusted my pads on my frame by changing the velcro and placement of velcro to help "pull" the pads to a more comfortable position...

Posted

Thanks again for your comments. NWA_UMP, I did as you suggested and adjusted the pads a little and also the harness. It feels much better. While looking in the mirror it's position is now a lot like the picture of the ump you supplied, only he is better looking according to my daughter!

Posted

it seems to sit pretty low to my eyes and restricts the upward field of vision.

What do you need to look up for? Think of it as blinders on a horse it helps you focus on what you should be focusing on and thats the pitcher and the pitch.

Posted

Thanks again for your comments. NWA_UMP, I did as you suggested and adjusted the pads a little and also the harness. It feels much better. While looking in the mirror it's position is now a lot like the picture of the ump you supplied, only he is better looking according to my daughter!

Gosh you must be UGLY!:yippie::cheers::Spit_20Laugh: :wacko:

Posted

A word of caution: Make sure the bill of your cap has enough of a gap between the end and the frame of the mask. If the end of the bill is touching, or close to the frame, and you get hit with a ball in that area, that solid bill will transfer energy right to your noggin. And that's a bad thing, fellas. So check your gear, and make sure your padding can do it's job.

That said, I wear eight stich hats, with plenty of room for safety in my Diamond and Champro frames, and WV traditional pads.


×
×
  • Create New...