Jump to content

NWA_UMP

Established Member
  • Posts

    637
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    4

Everything posted by NWA_UMP

  1. We wear navy when: A. partner is new and only has navy...black and MLB powder are our association default shirts. B. State Finals, mandated by State for "official" uniform
  2. I love mine...black is a great color :meditation:
  3. I use the Mizuno Infinity Trainers...they run small in length so order up a size...
  4. NWA_UMP

    BOO

    The trick to BOO is to wait, keep your powder dry and appeal when something good happens for the batting team. As semper_fi_72 said...get two the easy way... For the umpire it's really a matter of who is supposed to be at the dish, that is the guy who we get the out on...
  5. I have worked both...knees are the issue for me. I have some cartilage floating in my left knee and should probably have it removed. Normal running and everyday life are fine...scissors will really cause some swelling and aching in the joint. However...I lock in much better working the scissors. I don't know why, just do. I never blink on a pitch, I don't move period. I find myself at times with tunnel vision working a box style stance. I know when it happens and fix it straight away but I just don't lock my vision as well as I do in the scissors.
  6. This is the item I am reffering to... http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/purchaseofficialsupplies/-strse-974/CW-dsh-SS/Detail.bok
  7. I wish the Smitty's didn't have the stripes on the shoulder. Saw a guy with one the other day...Didn't like the look at all. I really don't like the one's with the silly stripe around the body...Honig's has that one..
  8. Lighter, better support, more comfortable and better protection...
  9. I would find out who the UIC is/was for that tourney and pose the question to him. Also get the state director involved if they both get it wrong. I have been on both sides of the game as a coach and as an umpire. I have seen the good and the bad that can occur from situations like this.
  10. These rules come from the same place where hands are part of the bat, ties go to the runner and it's a balk to fake a throw to second and third by your pitcher...
  11. The only time I break out navy bags is when I wear Red or White behind the stick. We don't wear Powder so I don't even own one! We wear black with navy all the time. Black hat, bags and belt. If you watch the minor league guys that is what they do as well.
  12. And yes the 450's were a touch too short, like everyone suggested you should size up on them. Of course I found this out too late...I didn't find this site until I had my first round of gear purchased. :notworthy:
  13. Nope...I had 14's in the 450's and bought 14's in the 460's. I had a chance to try them on at our State Clinic so I knew fit would be fine. I am a true 14...I have Mizuno Infinity Trainers for base shoes and they run a touch short...same with some of the Reezigs I have tried on. That is one reason I am hesitant about pulling the trigger on them for field shoes...
  14. I LOVE my 460's. They are noticeably lighter and they fit true to size on length and run a bit narrow. Which is great for me since I need narrow shoes! These things feel like running shoes compared to my 450's...I would never go back...
  15. I am retiring my Honig's "plate" jacket after this season. I purchased it 3 years ago with the open bottom and a pocket on the front for use behind the plate. I HATE this jacket. It is not warm on cold days and it holds all of your body moisture. It's like wearing a plastic sweatsuit from the 80's that we used to use to cut weight during wrestling season. Well, I never did since I wrestled Heavy Weight All I do is sweat and freeze with this thing on. I am going to a therma-base type warm up shirt under a LS shirt behind the dish if it's cold. I am also moving to the therma-base jacket or the Cool-base jacket for the pads depending on the temp. Hopefully I can keep warm and dry using this setup...
  16. We have a guy that grew up in our area. He worked AAA and was let go a couple years ago and now works ACC ball. He was a regular instructor at our clinics until scheduling became a real issue that we could not work around. One of the "newer" guys called "dead ball" on a foul ball...everything stopped while a baseball was "buried" because it died during the game. For those of us that knew what was going to happen, we all removed our caps and said a small prayer. Needless to say the point was made that dead ball describes the state of the baseball not a verbal command to be used. I am sure this has happened many time...
  17. Pops...at school they teach nothing but hammer. They want everyone doing it the same for evaluation purposes. If your instructor just got back from school or is in "A" ball that is all he is allowed to do...
  18. I have been taught to point called and swinging strikes and to hammer outs. So if I have K3 swinging it'll get a hammer... Indicator is in my left ball bag...never in my hand.
  19. I took a shot last night at our local AA affiliates ball park. Two HS teams were playing a game at the park. F1 was throwing in the low 80's by the radar display on the scoreboard. Foul straight back that caught the right side of my Champro magnesium with team Wendy's black pads. Did I feel it, yes. Did it hurt, not really. Did it sound and look bad, yes. The only complaint I have with the team Wendy's and the champro is the distance it sits away from my face. I have gotten used to the view so it's not a huge issue now. I will NEVER have another mask without the Team Wendy pads again.... As Kyle said...find your fit and stick with it. I love my Champro due to the weight and sturdiness of the frame. I don't like the fact that I have had an issue with corrosion that has eaten through the paint. I now repaint the frame 2 time a season. I will see if I can find a local guy to powder coat it in the off season or better yet I'll buy a new one and pass this one down to my son.
  20. I put a basketball in the neck and that did help open it up. Don't get me wrong I love this thing. Every time we get a slight breeze you can feel the air moving up the air channel and it's like someone tuned on the AC! I have yet to take a real shot with it but I did get hit with a HSM last night. Catcher just flung the dang thing straight back. Coach saw it happen and asked if i was OK...I simply tapped my fingers on the CP hard enough to hear and he understood what I saying. I have thought about pulling the neck open with a basketball then drilling holes in the overlapping plates and riveting them in that open position. Problem I see with that is you can't get behind the plastic plate to install the rivet plus it would leave a shape edge protruding. This thing will take a bit to line out and get it where I want it, but I have no doubt about the protection it offers.
  21. Some guys have "borrowed" your image as their avatar..I will pay a bigger tribute to you and "steal" your k3 mechanic. The only issues I have are...I'm a lighter skin tone than you and I'm not as vertically challenged as you but that is one of the crispest moves I have ever seen...Thanks for sharing.
  22. Jeff- How do you adjust the shoulder curve. My shoulders are thick from front to back, thanks football, I have noticed when I pull down on the collar of the CP it will sit down on my shoulders but slides up as the CP goes back to it's original curve....make since?
  23. I have used a Champro soft shell for 4 years before I got my All star. It had plastic buckle on it just like the All Star. I never had an issue with them....maybe I was lucky.
  24. I have used my All Star for 8-9 games. I have tinkered with the shoulder caps, put a basketball in the neck, loosened straps and tightened straps. I finally figured out the issue. On the neck there is a small pad the sits between the two main pads. The air channel pad if you will...it continually choked me. I turned it over, moved it up and down as much as I could to no avail. I have some indutrial strength velcro at the office so I put a piece about 1/2-3/4 of an inch under the factory installed piece. I moved the pad down and what a difference it has made. The original location put the pad right in the notch in my collarbone and it was pressing on my neck. Hope this might help someone else...
  25. Am I the only that can't get the photo to load?
×
×
  • Create New...