Jump to content

NWA_UMP

Established Member
  • Posts

    637
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    4

Everything posted by NWA_UMP

  1. totally tubular ...did I just move thru a space time continuum into a land lost in time...like 30 odds years ago like really...gag me with a spoon, like!
  2. Uh..no they don't. I am not crazy about the flat texture of the pants but it is what the majority here use...so that means I do to match. I will say I have a two pair going on their 3rd season...they do hold up well.
  3. NWA_UMP

    Interference

    sdix00- The way our association and our State governing body has interpreted this rule is: The runner is not required to slide. If he does, he must slide legally. If he does not slide, he must not alter the defensive player's ability to complete the play. We are instructed to call interference if he does not slide and remains in the line of the throw, draws ANY contact at the base in which he is advancing or runs thru the base. Coaches are told to instruct their players to get down(slide legally) or give up(turn into infield/outfield away from line of throw) on the front side of a double play. If they don't, they will not only be called out at the base but will be charged with interference and the B/R will be called out. Does not matter if the DP could be turned or not, we are given no leeway to judge outcome of the play at first. If the runner at the forced bag is out and doesn't comply with the above we have a double play...no judgement needed or allowed, we have a double play! The rational for the interpretation is safety, pure and simple. The State doesn't want a player hit with a ball, to draw any contact at the bag or to slide in a manner that could cause injury. They feel this is the "intent" of the FPSR as mandated by NFHS, safety first.
  4. Got a new pair of plates, MU460. Love the fit and the support they offer. I am having an issue with the best way to lace. They seem to hit the front of my leg on the front side of the ankle. The plate is huge on these and it digs into the front when I run. I don't want to damage the attachment points. Anyone have these and had the same situation?
  5. Sorry, just a bit confused...I loosened the caps and it didn't seem to help.
  6. Completely remove the padding from the shoulder cap? I would think that would have a potential down side it one took a shot on the shoulder. I have loosened the should caps to get rid of the linebacker look. I am placing a basketball into the neck opening to help loosen that are a bit.
  7. Just got me All Star yesterday, varsity plate and a couple Babe Ruth games today. I am 6'2", 275, 50" dress coat, 19"neck. I got the 12" and glad I did. Covered everything I needed to protect. I nearly choked myself putting on my mask. I think once it relaxes a bit it will be great. I loosened the straps to allow it to slide down. That doesn't work with this rig. I went back and tightened straps and got the CP to pull down on my shoulders better. I think this will do the trick. No real shots to speak of...that's good.
  8. If it is a "no SH*#" type foul...I usually don't even put my hands up or if I do they never get over my shoulder level. I certainly don't verbalize the call....kind of like the out at first where the B/R isn't even to the 45' runners lane. I just watch the play and walk back to A...nothing else needed.
  9. I have a guy that I use...looks like he could kick the bucket any day now...him and his wife work together in the shop. When you open the door it has the old fashioned bell that rings to alert them someone is there....well you have to step behind the counter to get their attention . There is one "young" guy doing some of that work in our area...don't like him..,slow, expensive and not real friendly. It truly is a dying art...
  10. NWA_UMP

    Interference

    If I have a batter that clearly steps back out of the box with F2 stepping behind to clear him for an attempt at 3rd...I will call batter's interference. If I judge that the catcher's opportunity was hindered or interfered with I will get the batter, period. Lack of throw does not constitute no intent to retire the runner. How do you judge BI on a throw to second? If I have a batter that steps across the plate and "blocks" the catchers path w/o contact is that interference? Heck yeah! A good catcher will make it OBVIOUS that he has been interfered with by drawing contact but some won't. Same with the throw to 3rd on a steal. If F2 is clearing behind the Batter and his path gets blocked by the batter stepping back I will ring it up. The catcher had his opportunity to make a play taken away from him by the batter. The play at second is a no brain'er...FPSR. If he does not get down, give up or get out of the way he is out and I WILL get a DP, Period.
  11. Go to Wal-Mart or any big box store and buy a cap cage...wash them. I toss mine right in with my gear on a gentle cycle and have had no issues. Lids also carries the cap cages...
  12. Thunder..I'm with you on this. I have a Smitty shirt that is just a touch big on the bases but fits great behind the stick. The Smitty's have a good amount of stretch to them unlike my Gerry Davis shirts. My Honig's are all over the place on fit. I have a 2X that is perfect on the bases and one that is HUGE even with gear on...ordered same time but in two different colors.
  13. bikerider...when you say snug are you talking width or length. I can't buy these but I am looking at them and want to get a read on sizing. I have tried on two different models of reezig's at our local shoe dealer. One fit great the other was short by a half size... I would be on them if I didn't wear a 14....
  14. Thanks bikerider...I saw the review that Pete did on them and I have been considering them since. Now I have to confirm sizing on the All Star CP to make sure i get the right size. I measured from the notch in my collarbone to the bottom of my sternum and it measures 11". I think the 12" All Star will work...just not sure.
  15. Johnny...you are correct! Too bad they did what they always do...wrong color that won't match anyone else...
  16. Let me know how they do...I am getting ready to drop a gear order and I am still undecided about shins. Looking at going with the champro pro-plus right now...
  17. Bikerider. These are not the same. UA are selling the same pants as Honigs except they added the expander. They are both made by Hardwicks. The Smitty's are made by who knows? If they are like every other Smitty pants, I will pass....tight in the thigh.
  18. Thunder...I'm sure they did. The Wilson's have a reputation of tank-like protection...along with the bulk, weight and heat of a tank as well. I want protection but I still have to be able to move....
  19. Mark...I was thinking the same think. I like the fact that both the wilson and douglas have the ankle protection that hold firm around the ankle and does not flair. I HATE the flair at the ankle with my Honig's. I have taken a couple of shots to the ankle area and it is not comfortable. The hesitation I have with the wilson's is the weight and bulk...
  20. Short of getting shins that have a strap around the ankle...how do ya fix it?
  21. How do you like the Pro-nine's? I have looked at them in the past and almost pulled the trigger. I was going to go with the Champro Pro-Plus that Midwest Ump has reviewed. http://midwestump.blogspot.com/2010/01/low-profile-leg-guard-comparison.html
  22. How did I miss that????????????????? :smachhead: :smachhead: I like the CP...the shins are a touch high, IMHO. But I do like the wraparound coverage on the ankles. I hate the tendency for shins to "flair out" at the ankle where they meet with plate shoes. I have Honig's K2010's and HATE that they do that...just another reason I'm getting rid of them!
  23. Welpe...did I miss something??? I haven't seen the Douglas... Where and what price?
  24. I'm with yawetag...I can get a better look at times when in B or C than I can in A. But hey, if I can sell it, I'll ring it! If I'm behind the plate and I have any question I'm going to my partner...the worst that can happen is we get a ball :wave:
×
×
  • Create New...