-
Posts
1,035 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
19
Everything posted by BLWizzRanger
-
Go all the way and track from a RHP or a LHP, pitching to a RHB or a LHB, further, an Umpire being right eye or left eye dominate. Left handed or right handed catcher.... sorry, got a little carried away.
-
What if you put an ounce or two of material into the hem at the bottom of the pants? Would that pull the pants back over the knee?
-
To be honest, most of us would be stuttering like porkie pig if this was the toaster we were talking to.
-
Drill two holes in the top knee piece, eighth of an inch(?) sixteenth (?) in diameter perhaps, and them take some sturdy material and shape it to fit into the holes and extend above the top knee piece an inch or so. I was imagining bending a 'C' shape of some sort into the material and using it like a spring to hole it into the holes and keep its shape. Maybe the steel posts used to hold up the paper politicians signs could be bent to fit the shape. Maybe it is only the size of a lawn motor throttle wire that can be used. At worse you have two small holes in the knee piece. **This is out of the box thinking learned from the MSU University. I have no way on knowing if this works. Maybe this will spur other thoughts on how to solve the issue. Otherwise, just stay in your stance the whole game.
-
Maannnn, I got something raw and knawling at me but it is too soon to spill. But, let's just say I left the field with someone hollering 'Hey Blue! You still suck!" for all to hear including the herd of cows across the valley. I hear you brother.
-
Come on, man. Pure Polyester... no kid of the 60's, 70's or 80's wore spandex unless it was a girl trying to mimic Denise Austin. (I was going to say it wasn't invented yet, but, Spandex was invented in 1958 - bar trivia for you).
-
Fashion is cyclical. Can't wait until I can break out my half shirts and coaches Bike shorts.
-
At Face Value (Magnesium Masks & Other Things)
BLWizzRanger replied to MadMax's topic in Umpire Equipment
I have only one shot with this setup (Mirage, Cloud4 pads, and skull cap) and have the same experience with them. Cooler? I could argue not so. I found that I needed to and should remove my helmet in between innings. There is a very noticeable difference, I have experience mid game, between temperatures of wearing the helmet vice not wearing it. Its not something I am looking to change, but, it is something that I take into account. -
How about when stepping off of the rubber, separating the hands can only happen after the foot is down? I cringe every time I see this. But, I think this is universally not called.
-
Yeahhhh, afraid to do one for an umpire.... I might start crying.
-
OHHHHH, I can't wait to see those trickle down to the 13yos or younger. Prices are guesstimates as I haven't purchased them lately. $600 bat - check $80 helmet - check $30 cheek protector - check $300 glove - check $120 cleats - check $50 (?) leg guard - check $50 (?) elbow guard - check $50 sliding glove $50 batting gloves - check $20 sweat bands - check $20 bandana - check $30 (budget) eye black - check $20 diamond necklace $20 thumb protector $30 sliding pants (not including catcher equipment, socks, bat bags, water jugs, towels, lessons, tourney fees, entrance fees, overnight stays, etc) Oh yeah! I forgot: $300 meta glasses
-
This is a lost cause in my board. NO ONE CALLS IT!!!! I tried, I go to the pitcher during warmups and tell them to move their heels an inch to not be parallel to the rubber and within two pitches, they are back to parallel (which, ok, trying to change your motion at that point in time after you have already thrown 2000 pitches in practice, games, summer league, etc., won't be easy). I've gone to coaches and asked for help in getting their pitcher to move the heel an inch so that they aren't parallel and I have almost had to dump the coach because he got heated due to 'he has used that motion 5 or 6 times already this season and no one called it). My partner with current D1 experience pretty much came out and said... 'their pitcher totally violates the rule' and after saying I will look for it, my partner says, 'and we aren't calling it tonight.' So, I have been assimilated into the Borg. Its a lost cause.
-
We need to remove the term 'hybrid' from ours and coaches' lexicon. There is no such thing as a 'hybrid.' It is either a pivot foot parallel to the rubber for a set position, or it is not. And, the pitcher is only allowed to do certain movements from either position (college and pro's with the exception of 'declaring' what movement they will use ).
-
Would Bucknor know the difference? OK, low blow, I apologize. I will see myself out.
-
Officially starting my high school umpire journey tonight
BLWizzRanger replied to orangebird's topic in High School
Please take the discussion to the Galatic-Empire.com web site. -
Reminds me of one time when as the coach left the field, in a fall ball game, that I ejected him from... "you are like a prostitute. you both get paid and you both suck." Kinda fits nicely in with the topic of this thread... don't you think?
-
Officially starting my high school umpire journey tonight
BLWizzRanger replied to orangebird's topic in High School
FPSR is a safety play to protect the defense. Ducking does not protect the safety of the fielder. It only protects the runner from, hopefully, a mouthful of baseball. Edited to add: And the first movement of lowing the shoulder to truck a fielder is..... wait for it.... ducking. -
Officially starting my high school umpire journey tonight
BLWizzRanger replied to orangebird's topic in High School
Puberty for me. You know, girls. -
The first thing about the newsletter is not to speak about the newsletter. You can pick out who is who below...
-
How timely. Not to be too preachy but if you have a PU partner that is knocked out cold on a pitch, you do not allow him to continue the game. First, go single. At a minumum, take the plate if your partner is a stubburn fool. Take his spot. As an board, mandate your concussion protocol for members and remove assignments for ones not following it. As a umpire conference/state association, do the same. Mandate teams report umpire concussions to state associations. Maybe allow on-site team trainers to make the decision of removing the umpire in this situation. Independent contrators? Who cares if one's brain is involved, especially older concussiees. Get them off of the field. Seems like common sense to me, IDK. Rant (personal feelings for a real situation that I found out about last night): You are such a FF PD that you wont complete a game by yourself, when your partner sustained a concussion. Take the selfish cape off and do what is right for someone else. And you wonder why and complain you dont get plum assignments after not giving two pucks about your partners. No one wants to work a game with you because they expect to have to cover your ass. Been there, done that. Rant off.
-
Sorry, SED, I should have put a sarcasm label on my post. We both know, as everyone has alluded, that these influencers are for the clicks and not for the instruction.
-
How about... 'how not to do it?' That has some value, don't it?
-
For the first two times ever, I was beaten to third by the R1 on a rotation when I was the PU. I am thinking of getting the newly marketed Go-Go Gadget battery operated rotor from Gerry Davis that hides under the chest protector straps and extends on command. I hear the battery on it usually only allows one on-field rotation. Thus, an increase in battery capacity or a solar powered rotor would increase the satisfaction one has. That's what she says. So if you can work on that, it would be great.
