Jump to content

MCLEOD36

Inactive
  • Posts

    396
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by MCLEOD36

  1. MCLEOD36

    Drag Bunt?

    That brings me to the text book You can tune a bicycle but you cant TUNA fish..
  2. heck Warren, I just think of it and expanding and then solidifying your knowledge base. In the future, that issue will come up and you can very quickly go, it is this reason and here is why. Picture the other situation, where an umpire is arrogant and goes that is just the way it is, at the end, and he is then wrong. This is a prime example of a guy going, yes I have this rule down, talked calmly to a coach and then walks into this forum "open Kimono" and brings up a situation to have others go, in this case, you can look at it this way or that and go, and hit it from all angles... NICE JOB.
  3. MCLEOD36

    Drag Bunt?

    LOL.... Bri, I think his point was just leaving the batters box, meaning you can in FED, if you are avoiding a pitch; swinging and missing, thus you are carried out of box by the swing, trying a drag bunt or pitcher throws to a base. Otherwise you have to stay in the box and be ready to play. Now, I think your point is, if he is out of the box with his foot drag bunt or not, he is OUT if he makes contact with the ball. Now the ass part LOL....well I will let that one be..
  4. Wait.... Guys, I DO IT FOR THE MONEY. Lets see, $30 to $75 a game, less gas say $15, wear and tear on car $25, equipment (pants pressed/usually dry cleaned and amortizing over say what? 3 years) $35, injuries (achilles beat up; hernia crap and not that old; bruises say what guys, one good one a game) $25, gatorade (I usually bring for my partner too) $5 and our time (hour before game including pregame with partner of 15 to 30 min) and usually 30 min to 60 min post game $25 (call it $5/hr; we could be paid more at McDonalds and add then the parent stress/coach stress $30 (call it $10/hour)... if i did the math right I only lose $95 to $130 a game..... sorry, was ranting, it is a Friday.... As one parent, who has seen me do 4 games one Sunday, goes to me at his son's first game (my last), he goes it is nice to see you and you always hustle and bust your tail. He goes, It is so precious that you do this, and I know this is your yoga or your time to put your finance guy hat away and refocus and give back.... That is why we do this, that is why we pick on each other in these forums and are always endeavoring to get better at any levels. It is why Carl Childress or Jim Evans or AJ Lostaglio or Ed Rapuano, will respond to an email or call or question we have or at a camp go, I know you are a rookie, but try this, it might help you, cause they see the fire in our eyes and know we get it.... Or why Warren reaches out a year plus ago and goes, Hey I have a website with a forum, try it, we would be happy to have you.... For the guys that have answered years of my silly questions or poked fun at me and others....whether in Korea; Canada; Colorado or North Carolina, etc. I would be happy to work games with you....and have always appreciated your input and tire tracks, when needed... NOW, where is my check? lol
  5. Heck, I know we are brothers, but I think the College World Series ump last night in the Alabama game should have gotten tossed.... I too think Varitek (spelling butchered) did that for Beckett, who was about to come out of his shoes...... It was a series of pitches not just one...
  6. In this play as I visualize, R2 is sleeping and doesnt react to the ball until it is in the fielders glove. Fielder is not obstructing prior to the catch, because he is jumping to get the ball, but once he has it, he comes down and blocks the base. Thus, no obstruction. Now the twist, R2 had access to the base prior to the ball being recieved, once the ball was recieved fielder acted like a catcher blocked base, the nuance is ball knocked out because of R2, but because it was in arms length and he restablished possession, R2 is toast... No Obstruction.
  7. Thank you Warren.... A lot can be gleened from that article.
  8. We tend to see it more in JV games, and weening them early is important. Some do it I think by habit, I usually look at them and say "No, play ball, lets go" and it stops. Same with batter box, a firm "No" usually works. If I get a look after, I tend to be softer saying "No disrespect, pitcher was ready or we need to move this game along". It is similar to game management, I have had 7 inning games of 1:35 and some 3:20. Lets just say, I didnt like the 3:20 ones at all, so a minute between sides and keeping batters in the box, helps in this regard. I am happy to hold up my hand if a batter is settling in, but will also tell catchers early on, I must put the ball in play and will step out occassionally on pitchers not abiding. I am not one to justle players from the dugout, but batters will hear from me "Lets go batter"
  9. MCLEOD36

    Obstruction?

    Good Call. Just think, knee blocking plate or other parts.... You got it.
  10. MCLEOD36

    Balk

    I still like Jim Evans DVD on balks. It is very helpful and not a lot of money...
  11. I think Warren likely archived this. Two pregames are important, one with partner and one with head coaches/captains. Just easy to clean up stuff.
  12. We are now almost in Hurricane Season....so yes, that one will be used here.... I too thought it was going to be about drinking fluids and bananas... But turned out, the guy from WI is kinda funny...
  13. Ump148, You can even get hats that are not patented, DUFC. Dirty Umpires From Colorado. LOL, they however only make them in small and in salmon color.
  14. It is live, but I dont have the LL rule number for you.....
  15. If he is chirping nah..... just try and quiet him. But, if he comes back to show me....guess what, LET ME SHOW YOU WHAT I DO.....poof, GONE. I do like that line to parking lot.
  16. Now that one I might use...
  17. Oh God..... Malaysia; NZ and a Canuck... Add Miami, wait, that is a tad international too lol.... Good Answers NZ....
  18. Shoot, is NZ from New Zealand or Hawaii? Or did he just see the movie; Star Trek?
  19. MS brings up a correct situation. In that case, yes it is a balk and BR gets first, but only if stealing home.
  20. Jim Evans has a great balk dvd... It is one that is so good, I lend mine out and rarely get it back promptly.
  21. Have them go to Sports Authority and find that bat with hands on it... I hear if you look hard enough www.batwarehouse.com has a coupon, 100% off, bats with hands on them....
  22. Warren, That article was precious, and you should be commended for your articulate response. I can see it now, local teen (he doesnt look old enough to shave) reporter on Oprah, Claiming, I lost my good eye when I had my camera lens transfixed to a batter and I go hit by a screamer. Cause you know, it wouldnt end up on Funniest Home Videos. Why doesnt that arrogant little SOB, read about and report why coaches now were helmets on the field? Or why FED in points of emphasis tries to keep coaches off buckets and / or chairs on the field. THank you for bringing this to our attention, and it is just a shame that his editor didnt quash that article...
  23. Very Good Call. Lets see, the HC complains to you that it is your fault and you didnt put the ball in play correctly?
  24. I am all for ejecting a player for malice, but not ill content in the game. Have the coach deal with that issue. And the reports, I just look at that as not throwing your next umpire or partner under the bus. We do reports for Varsity games, they then get submitted and for a time voila never heard from again. But I then stressed in our Org meetings that we talk about them, to make sure no one gets thrown into a hornets nest. I am not talking about prejudging teams or coaches, just dont send me into a gun fight with a peashooter....
  25. Nice Job Stock and yes, congratulations. As the gentlmen above said, keep learning. Books, videos, tapes (Jim Evans does a nice job with them) and then these forums. I tend to read them, prior to a game and it puts me in a good place. The other key is just games, whether young guys 14U/below or HS, you can see so many different situations and with the younger ones, you can learn timing and realize why it is so important to pause/read/react. I am blessed with a 13 month season in Miami and this year my HS games were very rewarding. So keep it up and never stop learning.
×
×
  • Create New...