-
Posts
396 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by MCLEOD36
-
Warren. On yours, the issue is obstruction to third ie he gets third, now if he prevented guy from scoring, then it is judgement. I would protect him to third, but have a hard time unless 2 outs and running on play to protect him at home on obstruction between 2nd and 3rd..
-
It is a balk, but it is a tough call to make, ie is he really looking for a sign. Now if he is off the rubber; straddling and shaking his head a couple of times, it should be called. But if not, might want to remind him not too do that or his coach. We had an issue this past week, with pivot foot (windup) in the hole in front of the rubber and the other one ahead of it and not parallel. Coach is jumping up and down that it is a balk and feet should be parallel. Well, you get them all....
-
Heck Warren, be glad not in FLA. In about two weeks, the grass at my house will not be yellow and we will have those FLA monsoons.
-
Crap guys. I just ordered one. Now Bri, if you want me to order one for you too, that is fine, but I dont think they have that CO built in heater yet LOL. I will give you guys feedback as I get it and try it. John
-
One of my favorites, pitcher batting, the pitcher twitched and didnt balk him. He threw a ball, the pitcher who was batting looked at me and goes didnt he just balk. I go yes, but a very subtle balk. I was like shoot, I missed it. The batter K's and then turns to me and goes, what is a subtle balk, is that new? I go nope, that is when a blue misses one. He smiled and goes, can I get one of those subtle ones too....
-
Yes BD, I just remember the locking in of the DH and the player he is batting for, in MS situation that is right, they would be down to 8 players ... If the DH comes in for someone, no more DH and he bats in that position and in the case above, you better find a catcher..... ie that will bat in the 3base spot.
-
In FLA, they said you can go to B, if you are more comfortable in that situation or like R1 and R3. I like C and just have been more comfortable there.
-
Aww for the love of the game, it is nice rewarding good catchers with a lot of attaboys, to the coach and him after the game. Had a game, catcher at bat, and new catcher at plate. I am in the slot (left handed batter ie opposing catcher), catcher caught one but totally blocked me as he stood up and shifted. I think down the middle, but balled it. Both went huh, I go boys, if I cant see, I wont call it. Needless to say, got good looks the rest of the game. Another game took one to the head, when a new catcher didnt attempt. I go what the heck, he goes, i knew that was a ball, didnt want to catch it....lol... My recommendation is watch the flappy arms, keep them tight and lock in quicker. If you cant see the plate a minor adjustment is necessary or move up, dont go outside.
-
Warren, I agree, when at a NCAA camp, one of the instructors (MLB Guy) asked me if my AllStar metal indicator had a gps too. It just now feels good in my hand, I rarely look at it...so that is what? a crutch LOL....
-
NOW, this will pain me...I agree with Brian. It is simple, you can extend the dugout, away from home, but it is done to help with congestion in the dugout, not to give a coach or player unobstructed view with no protection to call pitches. When that happens, and there no batters box lines or lousy lines, I keep them inside and say, sorry. Remember, HS/FED rules caution on the side of safety. If coaches try that bucket / chair outside, I put them in early and or a ondeck batter too close. If it takes me walking over and going, hey, I dont want you getting hit, that usually clears it right up quickly. It is like helmets on coaches and nets behind goals in hockey. Not a bad idea.
-
Widac, Is that a rented mule you are beating? I tend to bring an indicator to the bases and use it if my partner wants backup. It is just a habit. Our assoc. says it is ok, the evaluators typically ding you, so either way you have to watch it. I will have it for my partners help, not though a coaches whining.
-
GD dark gray slacks vs. Honigs ultimate slacks
MCLEOD36 replied to JordanF's topic in Umpire Equipment
I have now worn the poly/wool from Honigs for the bases and plate (seperate pair). Guys, yes they are expensive, but dont ride up and feel great even in the Miami heat.... -
I swear...dont even chew.... what happens is, when you do 14U games, and three of them, they give you all the score sheets for all the games, so that coupled with the GDavis mini placard, it made my darn shirt pocket look funny. I remember going, glad I keep an extra set of things in my SUV (and yes all wheel drive for Miami, LOL), watch came off I think later, when my wife started going you kinda look goofy with it on and that scowel.....
-
Can you guys get me the videos without the accent? I mean come on....... Brian, you never looked better without your snow pants on...
-
If blatant, you have to call balks. But as much as this pains me, I agree with Brian, the coaches will always look for blame here. Marginal things, and winning runs, like swallowing whistle in hockey, sometimes is sage advice. This weekend, in B position, coach was riled cause a twitch of front shoulders for a JV game. I go coach, I got nothing but will keep eye open for it, now worry about your batters.
-
LOL..... I love those little bullet pencils and finally keep a sharpener in my bag. The POS ones are the best. I know, you would swipe my indicator and go...I like that one, the numbers are not ball 4/5/6/7... as for your snow now, and your season being three weeks...that is tough.... snow boots on the bases.....
-
Heck, that Brian is alright..... That was an old shot.... Guys, NEVER HAVE A WATCH ON.... The Indicator, you can use it, but not as a crutch. Mine has a GPS on it...or so a couple of guys told me at an NCAA clinic..... What is that saying, a dame is a dame, but a good cigar a smoke? LOL I think that was a 12U game, and I was called into service from the stands... I still use an indicator, our association, likes the backup to keep unruly fans off partners in the event of, if the PU doesnt use it. Lets see, oh in the pocket, pen/pencil/scorecard from league and GDavis pocket holder. Not like Brians pocket protector LOL
-
HOK set, is having both hands fingers facing out thumbs in, locked above or on the knees, and head looking forward and a tad more then shoulder width apart stance. IE locked and loaded.
-
On the gorilla arm, it will increase timing with a snap throw to first, ie quick hands, quick step and gets them, thus a balk. If a kid turns his shoulders and he is set, it is a balk. As well as glove above chin, ie whole glove. If the level of play is not there, then a warning ie for the 12s. If you see that in FED/HS, and he makes a couple of throws to first, walk to mound tell him no no; and if does it again balk them. Again, the level of play is important. As the season has recently started, coaches are tending to push the limits. If you catch early, it can be nipped in bud. My other comment is, remember your best friend on the field is your partner in blue. Have pregame meetings with them, just to get on the same page, by doing as such, situations are covered early. There are always things popping up, that you can go, glad we discussed and are comfortable.
-
The only time I am not HOK is a DP situation, and moving with ball. I do agree it keeps your head still and helps with a call. If you are not HOK, you can make a quick call on bang/bang play that can be erroneous. For me, it helps with timing as well for those situations.
-
It is similar to a Media area, if it goes through it goes through. Similar to UmpJM, someone is trying to pull a fast one.
-
It is picking your poison. Either can be hard. I agree with BGDOG, thank God for motrin and advil, that I take before the game and sometimes during on the plate...
-
FL HS, typically 2 man, the playoffs go to three based on tenure, testing and overall scores (points for various things; tests; evaluations at clinics).
-
MajorDave, Very wise advise as well, I have two boys (12 and 14) stopped coaching them a couple of years ago, and picked up umpping again. I am happy to sit in the stands, and not worry about balls/strikes or technical balks, and praise good game management which is the mark of a veteran umpire or crew. You are right in the poorer quality of play and sometimes just not at the lower levels, and how "blue" gets blamed.
-
Chris, For Fed/HS, just remember safety first. That usually handles a lot of the differences, ie no collisions; balk dead ball.... and sportsmanship. Now, in saying that.... go to a clinic if available, learn the rules and develop your own style. These forumns are great for feedback and whatifs as well. Good luck in the season.
