Jump to content

Jimurray

Established Member
  • Posts

    6,956
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    79

Everything posted by Jimurray

  1. If he can do this it's ok with me.
  2. FED, This year, in Texas, emphasized that any throw by the pitcher counted against the five ( or eight). Sometimes we will say: Hey, those count, get on the rubber."
  3. Catcher sets up for swipe. PU is 3BX. Throw takes catcher into blocking position. PU reads and rotates to the opposite of 1BX. Maybe if I think about it enough I'll be able to do it in real time.
  4. I had a step. I guess they didn't.
  5. It's FED. A lot of FED umpires are not OBR savvy. This is a balk they can call with confidence due to the rule and the caseplay. When I get chirps about not calling it I say momentary adjustment. I educate those who I can. BTW, a lot of the guys who call this stuff don't call real balks. I think it is an experience, confidence thing.
  6. Throw from left field, I'm thinking 1BX; he's already seen the catcher not set up to block and goes 3BX for the swipe and then reads the play and rotates further up into the RH batter's box. Wish I could think as fast as those guys. Nice.
  7. Why not just let the batter stay and call the inside strike. Once the batter swings his position is legal. Never mind, re reading the post you probably have to do something about this. Both teams and coaches seem incompetent.
  8. Jimurray

    BOO

    I agree. <acronym title='Batting Out of Order'>BOO </acronym>isn't that difficult to understand. Me too. And, Thunderheads, less time on this site and more time in the book.
  9. post it please! You need a subscription to see this I think. Bottom 2nd, Nunez at bat with Granderson at 1B. http://mlb.mlb.com/s...diaplayer/v4.3/R3/MP4.jsp?calendar_event_id=14-317890-2012-04-17&content_id=&media_id=&view_key=&media_type=video&source=MLB&sponsor=MLB&clickOrigin=&affiliateId=&team=mlb When I post this link the last part does not turn blue so you have to copy and paste and be signed in to MLB.com
  10. I pulled up the disputed balk video (have to have a subscription) and could see not see anything I would call. No echo by his partners. The free game recap does not include it. Anybody see something I missed?
  11. I liked the last pitch on video but Pitch FX courtesy of Brooks Baseball says it was outside: http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?s_type=3&sp_type=1&batterX=71&inning1=y&inning2=y&inning3=y&inning4=y&inning5=y&inning6=y&inning7=y&inning8=y&inning9=y&month=04&day=16&game=gid_2012_04_16_tbamlb_bosmlb_1%2F&year=2012&pitchSel=407845&prevGame=gid_2012_04_16_tbamlb_bosmlb_1%2F
  12. Partially stolen from another site: So if a batter swings and misses at a pitch and we signal but don't verbalize "strike" it's not a strike? If an "everyone knows it" batted ball is 78 feet foul and we don't call "foul" it's not foul? Do we have te verbalize "fair"? Lot's of folks don't even signal "out" on a caught fly ball - does that mean the batter's not out? Yes to everything. That's why, when a ball is fouled straight back to the fence and goes clang, I scream "Foul ball!" and throw my hands in the air like Dale Scott. this one is different, maybe a runner didnt see the swing and miss... at School we are to signal foul on this play. When you signal foul on this for the benefit of a runner do they require the verbal call also?
  13. Yep, go here: http://www.stevetheump.com/NFHS_rules_b.htm, and scroll down to 2005 interps Sit.2.
  14. Luckily, FED answered that question back in 2005 or 6 in one of their preseason interps. It's legal. Without the interp it would be a head scratcher.
  15. Looks like U2 called it for no step. F3 was able to make a play so it wasn't for that.
  16. Had this happen in one of our games last week: PH for F2 walks. F2 reenters for PH on 1B. CR now replaces F2 on 1B. All legal. While you can't CR for a PH, the coach can burn a sub and reentry to CR for F1 or F2.
  17. I'll shy away from MC. His arms are out because he's sliding into the base, not causing MC. A legal slide has to be on the ground. Obviously there is a transition period where the slide is not on the ground but this looks illegal so if no MC it's still an out for an illegal slide.
  18. Don't hijack the thread. <acronym title='Official Baseball Rules'>OBR</acronym> doesn't define the pivot foot, everybody else does. <acronym title='Official Baseball Rules'>OBR</acronym> 2.00 The pitcher’s PIVOT FOOT is that foot which is in contact with the pitcher’s plate as he delivers the pitch. You already hijacked it. OK, OBR defines it but doesn't relate it to the pitching arm.
  19. Don't hijack the thread. OBR doesn't define the pivot foot, everybody else does.
  20. Three feints, everybody yelling back, no runners picked off and we are going to move the runners up and score a run? There had to be a disengage, even if minuscule, on the first feint. Once the foot lands back on the rubber it is not intentionally there for the purposes of the pitching regulations.
  21. If you have R2 in this sit you have to pre game what you want, the pulled foot at 1B or the second play at 3B. Edited to add: Nevermind, rereading the OP you already had an out at 3B and PU was free to look at pulled foot.
  22. " The home team had four overzealous Italians that hollered over every close call and pitch while the other teams coaches were getting frustrated with their antics." You had a team come from Italy to this tournament?
  23. There is no balk in the rulebook for a hand to mouth violation. The balk comes from 2 caseplays where a pitcher on the rubber with runners on goes to his mouth. FED says that this is a balk for not coming set without interruption. That caseplay is at odds with another one that allows hat adjustment etc. in the same situation. Check: 6.1.3 O, 6.2.1 A, 6.2.1 B, 6.2.1 D
  24. Don't you mean ball or balk them. No, you balk them. The penalty for a balk with no runners on base is a ball on the batter. It is still a balk. April 1st is over. Your kidding, right?
  25. Don't you mean ball or balk them.
×
×
  • Create New...