-
Posts
713 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
4
Everything posted by ukce1861
-
Gut reaction - out. Provided the glove appeared to be on his hand at the time of the tag, that would be control. Have no idea where to find a rule cite on this...
-
I'd like to take this thread completely off-topic and say, I believe this is the first reference I've ever seen to the "good ol' days" of the internet. Just kinda funny - maybe just to me... Wonder what the equivalent to walking 2 miles, barefooted, uphill both ways will be?
-
If we're dreaming, why not make #40 be over the wall? Those are always nice, huh Jax? I have had 3-pitch, 4-pitch and 5-pitch half innings all in one game before. Needless to say we went 7 innings in 1:26 - 2-1 final score.
-
So the sweat stays out of your eyes, but drips down your temples and onto your cheeks? Hopefully the "downspout" is around the back, so you have a sweet-looking water trail down the middle of your back.
-
Only when the ball's not dead... and that's when................................. You have a caught, foul, fly ball. You just point foul - you don't put your hands up and verbalize foul because the ball is still alive. In my mind, putting your hands up and verbalizing is what kills it. Based on the OP, neither of these appear to have happened and, at a minimum, F2, F3 and BR didn't not believe the ball was dead. Let it stand.
-
Only when the ball's not dead...
-
Daniel, I've found it best in these situations to continue to watch the play. You don't need to make a call, but at least see what happens. There will be plenty of time to sort out what happened after the playing action has ceased, but like you pointed out, you can't call what you didn't see. He pointed left, but you didn't say there was a verbal and F2, F3 and the BR all kept playing, so personally I'd be inclined to let it play out. You would probably have gotten an argument from the OM, but probably much less than you got from the DM. As for your player ejection, that might have been a bit quick, depending on how it was said. On the 3B coach's question, I would've answered that the ball beat the runner. No need to get into the tie situation - those debates get ugly enough on this site...:rolleyes:
-
Mike, you're so considerate!:Spit_20Laugh:
-
I once had 4 IFF in one game... Every time we had the possible situation, we had an IFF... And they were all very legitimate - none of them were even questionable.
-
What good can come out of being on the field and shaking hands? You can hear from a coach, or tell a coach, that you, or they, had a good game. Whoop-di-do... Neither one of you really do - or should - care what the other one thinks. You have your job, they have theirs. What bad can come out of it? What happens when the manager starts berating you or your partner? You have just created an antagonistic situation that didn't need to happen. You can stand there and take the abuse, you can further inflame the manager by getting into a verbal altercation, you can throw your partner under the bus or you can do a postgame ejection. Which one of those is a positive outcome? A quick risk/reward analysis demonstrates that there is little to no reward and a lot of risk. The more you're around this game the more you'll realize that coaches (and parents) can turn on you in a second. Why give them more chances? Another benefit is if you leave the game as expeditiously as possible and remove yourself from the crowd, you're probably going to avoid most of the fans because they're all still milling about the stands. All you need to do is walk confidently and quickly, with your partner, to wherever you're changing. Any comments can be acknowledged with a quick "thanks" and you don't even break stride. There's no reason to create conflict!
-
Ball bag color coordination with shirt color
ukce1861 replied to wabefor's topic in Umpire Equipment
+1. It is so very simple. Saw a partner the other day with a blue bag and black hat wearing navy. Looked out of place. Yeah, your hat and ball bags definitely need to match. If you're wearing a black hat, it doesn't matter what shirt you're wearing, go with the black ball bags and vice-versa... Unless, of course, you're wearing one of these, then you just wear your favorite team's hat backwards... -
Ball bag color coordination with shirt color
ukce1861 replied to wabefor's topic in Umpire Equipment
I think this is one of those things where you do what's expected in your area. In my area, it's Navy ball bags and hat with Navy, Red, Powder. Black with Polo and Black. If you can get away with wearing black all the time - more power to you... -
Ah, foul tip jokes - always funny...:fuel:
-
I have to disagree with you on this one Mike. It is entertaining to a lot of fans. That's why these antics make it to youtube. Come on guys, even as an umpire, you have to admit that Rome manager from a few years ago was pretty entertaining... The grenade toss? That was classic...
-
I agree... Like I said, I argued, but to no avail. Just wanted to see if there was anything black and white... 4.11© in OBR specifically addresses this and calls it a time play. 4.11© in LL does not, although the remainder of the rule is the same...
-
In the other codes it IS a timing play. FED is unique on this play. Rich, anything official on this being a timing play in other codes? This came up in our LL clinic on Saturday. I argued the time play, but I was in the minority...
-
Personally, I lock with one hand (behind the catcher) and tuck the other hand under my leg. What I find interesting about the adamant "lockers" is all the minor league guys I've seen lately drop to hands on knees and then, as the pitcher is delivering, tuck their hands under their legs...
-
Took a foul ball just above the knee on Saturday. It stung a little, but nothing bad. Then yesterday, when I was putting my shinguards on, I noticed this... Hate to think how that would've felt without that top plate on my shinguards but I'm pretty sure it would've been an early end to my weekend.
-
The ankle protectors are a pain. Really wish they were stiff, like the Wilson ones. I tend to end up with bat wings as the game goes along...
-
I've tried three brands, Honig's, Ump-Attire and Smitty's. I have not tried the new Honig's style. My old style Honig's shirts are my favorite. The Ump-Attire and Smitty's shirts "pill" on the left side, presumably from my mask (Diamond Featherweight w/ Wilson wraparounds). Anybody else have this problem? Any ideas?
-
Leave the last part of it about leaving a position out of it. Just read above. NOBODY SHALL...............Should you warn them. Absolutely, just like in many other circumstances where an ejection is the penalty. How the heck do you figure the rules don't support it, when it's right in front of you. Under your theory all a coach has to do is hide in his position and he can argue any judgment call. Really? Really? The part you quoted means nothing. The manager can stop the game and come out on the field and argue with you if he doesn't like the call. That is objecting to a judgement decision but it is allowed. And the manager doesn't need to hide in the dugout to argue a call, he can come out and do it to your face....except for balls and strikes, he cannot leave his position to argue balls and strikes. What? Objecting a judgement decision is allowed? Can you please show me where you get that?
-
I'm just saying a lot of people listen to TV announcers say "you can't argue balls and strikes" and they believe them. It's not illegal and you can't just eject someone for doing it. The only thing the rules say is that they can't leave their positions to argue balls and strikes after being warned. How do you figure this isn't illegal???
-
Refshop has a 15% discount on all orders - now through Sunday. Coupon code is JUN15OFF. This makes the NB Plate shoes $76.46...
-
Let us know what time/field your games are on. Then we can all make fun of critique you...
