Jump to content

semper_fi_72

Inactive
  • Posts

    1,686
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    22

Everything posted by semper_fi_72

  1. Smiity's. I know someone who had the GD's and they turned color because the iron was a little to hot.
  2. Why do I do it? Is it the money? Is it the fun? Is it for the kids? The answer to all 3 is a definite YES. I am in a point of my life that I can afford to just umpire and not work. As long as I can make what I need to each month and not have to go be a Part Time Walmart Greeter than I am happy. I am also having lots of fun doing it. Have meet some great people and partners and it is a true brotherhood. If there is a kids team that needs a umpire and I have the date and time available, I will gladly give them my time. I do not profess to be a expert or the best umpire, but I will also try to help any umpire who wants to improve and become better. I was fortunate to have some great guys help me and I am more than happy to pass on what I know. I am also always willing to learn to become a better umpire myself.
  3. My Adult League is off this weekend for the holiday but have 3 on Sunday for a USSSA Tournament 12U. 2 Plates 1 Base
  4. I am 5'9, 165 Been using the Charcoal for a year. Youth, High School and Adult. Love the fit and have never felt a shot in it. It will take a little time to mold to you. Once it does it will be very comfortable. Remove the BiCep pads they are not needed
  5. I have used the Charcoal for just about a year now. I have worked Youth, High School and Adult Ball with it. I have not felt a single shot it has taken. I highly recommend it.
  6. They watched to many LLWS Games and screwed up their rotation.:hi5:
  7. I only have one question here. Why is a 17 yr old working High School Games? That alone sets up the kid for failure. He should be umpiring no higher than about 14U. As stated, dealing with fans, coaches and players is learned and can not be taught. I always believe getting respect on the field is influenced not only by dress and demeanor but age. A young man on the field already has a target on his back and will be challenged a lot more than some one older.
  8. Orange County, California Jax. South of me...lol The Angels are in Orange County even though the name was changed...lol The aren't even in Los Angele's County. Welcome Greyhawk
  9. Strike 1 and 2 are the same. Strike three has a little more emphasis and gets the chain saw.
  10. If you ever need a part to a pair of Oakley's, call them. Next to Ump -Attire they have the best customer service. You will get what you need. I had to get a couple of items when I took off a pair of Oakley's on the bases when it got dark. I put them down the back of my shirt and then sat in the car......oppssssss. Glad to hear you like the shooting glasses.
  11. +1 Every call I make is the correct call from what I observe. The only time it is going to change are those few times when I go to my partner for help with a pulled foot or a swipe tag. Otherwise, I never doubt I made the correct call.
  12. I love Oakley's but do not wear them on the plate. When on the plate I just use cheaper sunglasses that I usually purchase from the fishing section at Walmart...hehe. If it is a night game I wear Yellow Shooting Glasses. It brightens up things. I also wear contacts for reading so I always wear either sunglasses on the yellow shooting glasses on the plate. Keeps dirt out of my eyes. I didn't wear them once and got dirt in my eye and after washing it out found I had lost a contact also. Didn't know it till I got home and it wasn't there to take out.
  13. You see the light pretty good. The PU may be blind as a bat though Draw a line? Good Bye, if you like to draw lines please come back when the grounds crew is ready to line the field for the next game.
  14. I would bet that ESPN told him to when they planed the shot. Look world we have a umpire that actually reviews the plays.
  15. I guess you missed the Hawaii - Texas game. The one where the PU was a former MiLB Umpire. Stop bashing the volunteer umpires. Right, wrong or indifferent, they earned their way to the LLWS.
  16. I wouldn't worry about stripping it down. If you get it done, the shop that does it should be able to media blast it easily. Another option to explore would be anodizing. Either way find the shop and have them add it to a job they are doing with what you want. That may save you some money since they will not be setting everything up just for you.
  17. Looked like he was safe to me. Wonder what they were able to see on replay? Maybe his foot was above the plate from another angle. Inconclusive from this video. To fast with his mechanics.
  18. Looks to much like a bang bang play to me. I would not call that obstruction, just baseball.
  19. No baseball around here on Mothers Day. NASCAR doesn't even race on Mothers Day!!!!!
  20. Cant get mt bag into the trunk of my Mustang.,lol
  21. Welcome back
  22. Welcome I will make an assumptioon SGV stands for San Gabriel Valley. Any questions you have just ask. Everyone here is great and willing to help
  23. Yes the uniforms and equipment are free to the teams. They are provided everything, including bats. They previously had to had to return their jersey but now LL is allowing the players to keep the jersey as a memento. Coaches are getting to keep one shirt. I understand the umpire get 3 shirts and of course hats. I am not sure if they get any pants.
  24. I heard it is because of ESPN. This is what I have been told by someone who knows one of the guys working at WP. The Powder Blue jersey shows shows dark areas and lines when the PU starts to sweat and shows as two different colors on TV. Hence ESPN wanted PUs in Black. They didn't want the world to know that working a LL Game as a PU could be so tough that you would actually sweet with all that gear. B)
×
×
  • Create New...